Murder in the Groove

by Dave Warner | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by alkaline-kiwi of Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on 8/10/2007
Journal Entry 1 by alkaline-kiwi from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Friday, August 10, 2007
Picked this up at the Book-A-Rama about a month ago.

A book about an ex-rock star turned sleuth, sounds like an interesting read for me!

Journal Entry 2 by alkaline-kiwi from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Tuesday, August 14, 2007
I was expecting I''d like this book. A mystery set in the lifestyle of rock and roll with lashings of sex and drugs along with it. I wasn''t expecting to be completely glued to the book, I had trouble putting it down this morning.

The main charcter is rock legend Andrew ''Lizard'' Zirk who after becoming bored with the rock and roll lifestyle went into early retirement. He is invited to a party celebrating another rock legend the contraversial Sydney Melbourne. But when two people die at the party Lizard decides to try to find out who is behind it all.

This book was really enjoyable.
I found Lizard a pretty interesting character with a lot of different stuff going on (his 3 year celibacy thing for one, which I found somewhat amusing). I enjoyed the references to music related stuff in the book, one of the things that drew me into it in the first place (I love music as much as I love books).

The mystery of who did the murders kept me guessing. I was right about a few mysteries in the book but I was pretty surprised when I found out who was behind the murders.

From what I gather there are two other books that follow on from this one so will add those to my wishlist.

Journal Entry 3 by alkaline-kiwi from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Thursday, September 20, 2007
Mailed off for the convention in Melbourne.

Journal Entry 4 by MelbCon from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Monday, September 24, 2007
Gratefully received, to be released at the convention in October. Thanks from the convention committee.

Journal Entry 5 by MelbCon from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Monday, September 24, 2007

Journal Entry 6 by freesia from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Friday, October 05, 2007
Picked up at the Melbourne 2007 BookCrossing Convention. I'm expecting this to be a bit shady from the cheesy blurb on the back: "Before the last of the prawns have been snatched from the buffet there are two grisly deaths ... murder's in the groove."

Journal Entry 7 by freesia from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Friday, October 19, 2007
I agree with alkaline-kiwi - a quirky and enjoyable read that I wasn't expecting to like so much. Warner's a writer in the mould of Carl Hiaasen, deflating the gargantuan egos and pompous idiots of the music business. I'd like to read more of his books.

Journal Entry 8 by freesia at ACMI Federation Square in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (10/24/2007 UTC) at ACMI Federation Square in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

On top of the giant ball in the Pixar display.