The Ballad of Typhoid Mary

by J. F. Federspiel | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0345319672 Global Overview for this book
Registered by bodesoda of Mount Airy, North Carolina USA on 2/19/2003
Journal Entry 1 by bodesoda from Mount Airy, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, February 19, 2003
Excellent fictional account of one of the most deadly people in history. This is a short and easy read. I may start a book-ring with this one.

Irish cook Mary Mallon (1869-1938) was dubbed "Typhoid Mary" by the media after she infected dozens of people with the dreaded disease. She can be seen in the bed on the left.

Journal Entry 2 by bodesoda from Mount Airy, North Carolina USA on Friday, February 21, 2003
"Typhoid Mary" is on her way to Germany as part of a bookring. While it's gone it will visit Germany,Portugal,UK, Cananda and then bcak to travel around the states.

Journal Entry 3 by Muffin77 from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Tuesday, March 04, 2003
Had it in today's mail - will read and send it off until this weekend (Mar 8th) - it's a small one so I think it won't be a big deal...
Looking forward to read and pass on and see how long it takes to go back to bodesoda - the starter for this bookring :))) Thanks for letting us share this piece of literature :)))

Journal Entry 4 by Muffin77 from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Friday, March 07, 2003
I am through and will send it to Portugal this afternoon - I liked it although at some point I got scared (can't really explain why) and finally I couldn't wait to read the end. It's indeed a fast read and it's easy to fly over the lines a Sunday afternoon... Well anyone else who is still waiting for it: hope you'll enjoy it - and Thanks to bodesoda again for sharing the book with us!

Journal Entry 5 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, March 10, 2003
I got the book today. I'll read it as quickly as possible.

Journal Entry 6 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, March 13, 2003
I'm sorry it took so long for me to read the book, but this has been a busy week for me. I'm having a lot of work. Anyway, the book is now on its way to England.
Thank you *bodesoda* for making a bookring with this book. I really enjoyed it!!! I understand *Muffin77* when she says she got scared. It's really frightening to have a person on the wild "killing" lots of people and there's nothing you can do.

Journal Entry 7 by Lindlec from Nottingham, not specified not specified on Tuesday, March 25, 2003
Recieved from Fflloorr thanks - will read and send on to the next member of the ring!

Journal Entry 8 by Lindlec from Nottingham, not specified not specified on Friday, April 04, 2003
I really enjoyed this quick and easy read - it was frightening how Typhoid Mary just moved around and refused to give up cooking even though she new she could be killing people by doing so. How horrifying, but gripping this book.

This book will be going to Canada tomorrow to Seca - I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and thanks to the owner for giving us the chance to read this book.

Released on Friday, April 04, 2003 at post swap in postal swap, Postal Release United Kingdom.

Sending to Seca in Canada as next person on the bookring - enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by Suca from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 10, 2003
Got this in the mail today as part of a bookring. Perfect timing cause I just finished my last book. I'll keep you posted on what I think!

Journal Entry 11 by Suca from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 15, 2003
I have to agree....scary. Really enjoyed this quick read. I've been wanting to learn more about the infamous Thyphoid Mary. Thanks again!!

Journal Entry 12 by Jengif from Greenville, North Carolina USA on Saturday, May 24, 2003
I can't believe it's finally here! I'll read it ASAP.

Journal Entry 13 by Jengif from Greenville, North Carolina USA on Monday, May 26, 2003
What an amazing little book! I'm so glad that I signed up for bodesoda's bookring. The book included two stories for the price of one. I really enjoyed the subplot by the narrator. I wonder what he was dying of. I feel very bad for Mary. The part where she lost Caroline was especially heartrending. I also want to know why Chris Cramer never contracted typhoid fever. I have lots of questions now!

Journal Entry 14 by Jengif at Post Office - L'Enfant Plaza in Washington, District of Columbia USA on Wednesday, May 28, 2003
Released on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at L'Enfant Plaza Post Office in Washington, District of Columbia USA.

Typhoid Mary is on its way to Arizona!

Journal Entry 15 by Cassandra0629 from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Wednesday, June 04, 2003
Woo-hoo! I just finished reading another book earlier today, then I opened this one up in the mail. But before I got a chance to start it, "Outbreak" came on TV...coincidence? Maybe. I will start reading this tomorrow.

Journal Entry 16 by Cassandra0629 from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Sunday, June 08, 2003
An interesting book. I had to chuckle with amazement at the idea to purposely hire Mary in hopes that a specific person in the house would fall ill. Poor Mary, all she wanted to do was cook.

Passing this on to Kafka...

Journal Entry 17 by kafka from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Tuesday, June 10, 2003
Just received this in the mail today. Looks good! I'll be back...

Journal Entry 18 by kafka from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Friday, June 13, 2003
This was a quick & thoroughly enjoyable read. I did feel sympathy for Mary also. With the limited knowledge of infectious diseases at the time, it's no wonder she was puzzled about how she could be making others contract a disease that she had never had. I'll be sending this on to JennyO next. Thanks for including me in this ring!

Journal Entry 19 by wingO-Jennywing from Temple, Texas USA on Monday, June 16, 2003
Received in the mail today. Looks like a fairly quick read, so I'll go ahead and start it tonight in order to get it on its way again soon.

Journal Entry 20 by wingO-Jennywing from Temple, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 17, 2003
Really, really interesting book. Not only because it contained the story of Typhoid Mary, but because it had lots of other details about the time period in which she lived. For example, the Lindauer brothers invented the brassiere. Who knew?

This was a quick and enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing it, bodesoda. I'll be sending it to agrace as soon as I confirm the address.

Going out in tomorrow's mail ***6/20***.

Journal Entry 21 by Agrace from Frisco, Texas USA on Tuesday, June 24, 2003
came in yesterday's mail. I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 22 by Agrace from Frisco, Texas USA on Thursday, June 26, 2003
like Jennyo, I enjoyed the period information that was worked into the book.
unlike jengif, I found the narrator's sub-plot annoying. (but I have the feeling that I'm just not getting the reason the author put it in...something about attitudes toward terminal disease...)
It has made me very curious about the factual story. I'll have to do a little digging on this one.
I'm glad I read the book.

mailed to the next reader today.

Journal Entry 23 by ladyofunicorns from Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Sunday, June 29, 2003
Just received this in the mail (checked box today -- not yesterday) and have a couple of rings/rays ahead of it but as soon as I have finished reading it, I will make another entry! Shouldn't be too long!

Journal Entry 24 by ladyofunicorns from Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Thursday, July 31, 2003
It was a short enjoyable read! It really is frightening to have someone who actually continued to do what she was doing even though she had to have known (at least after a while) what havoc she was causing! Thanks so much for the ring bodesoda!

Journal Entry 25 by ladyofunicorns from Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Saturday, September 06, 2003
Heading on to its next stop in California! Hope you enjoy it JDT! Thanks again bodesoda!

Journal Entry 26 by wingJDTwing from Pleasanton, California USA on Thursday, September 11, 2003
Just received this intriguing book today - 9/11!
Think I won't start it today ...
- but will move near top of TBR stack to keep it moving.
Thanks to all before me!

Journal Entry 27 by wingJDTwing from Pleasanton, California USA on Monday, October 20, 2003
I found the book both disturbing and compelling - as in hard to put down. Especially the first half seemed well-written - and troubling.
Mary did seem a hapless victim - not only as an unwitting carrier of typhoid, but also at times at the mercy of predator men. Probably due to these life's circumstances, she also seemed numb/ amoral/on survivor mode.
Playing to her strength: I can cook, spreading disease, moving on.
Powerful and numbing read - one line struck me: "the spiritual plague of indifference."
Sending this on to Bug007 - with thanks to all before me in this bookring!

Journal Entry 28 by Bug007 from Duluth, Minnesota USA on Thursday, October 30, 2003
Interesting book. Very sad.

Journal Entry 29 by jennyscott from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Friday, November 14, 2003
Just got this in a bookring. Looks like I'm last. It is next on my TBR list and then will return to Bodesoda. Thanks.

Journal Entry 30 by jennyscott from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, November 18, 2003
As far as literature this book wasn't top shelf but I certainly enjoyed the information about Typhoid Mary and her impact on health and society. This account is made very real in the telling by the author having his own underlying story and then the finish being deceptively realistic making you doubt whether the work was fact or fiction. Short, easy, glad I read it.

Journal Entry 31 by bodesoda from Mount Airy, North Carolina USA on Sunday, November 30, 2003
Look who made it home today. This has been so well received I'll probably start a new ring and send her on her way again. Oh, whoever sent the magnet thanks I love it!

Journal Entry 32 by bodesoda from Mount Airy, North Carolina USA on Sunday, December 07, 2003
Here is the final line up for Typhoid Mary's second trip out into the world.

There are 17 people in the ring (this includes sending it back home to me.

The final list is as follows:
bilbi - France
Mandana - Canada
jenvince - California
caligula03 - California
weeblet - Virginia
bodesoda - North Carolina (home)

Please PM me if there are any problems. Have fun with this book she'll head out this week. Happy holidays!!

Journal Entry 33 by bodesoda from Mount Airy, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, December 30, 2003
Well Mary is off on her second jaunt around the globe. Next stop France. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 34 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Saturday, February 21, 2004
I've just received this book. I'll read it ASAP.

Journal Entry 35 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Saturday, February 28, 2004
This was a short and easy read but it was troubling in a way. Mary's fate is pathetic and I can't do nothing else but sharing her morbid lot. I feel compelled to share her fate and eventually all the deaths surrounding her didn't touch me. I think it's because the victims are generally bad men who wanted to use and abuse her. Caroline's the only I do feel sorry for.
Quite a disturbing story indeed...

Journal Entry 36 by Fofum from Beverley, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 03, 2004
This has arrived safely in Beverley. I have a couple to read before I get to it and I write again then. Thanks for sending it on.

Journal Entry 37 by Fofum from Beverley, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 22, 2004
I really enjoyed this...the first book in a while that I've had that made me want to get back to it quickly. I've been a bit 'bookbound' lately, reading good stuff that has been a bit 'worthy' and a little lacking in narrative. This was a welcome change!
The story was tragic, all the more so for being based in truth. What an awful situation to find your self in, particularly at a time when an understanding of things medical was less developed. I think I'd like to have known more about Mary once she was identified and 'hospitalized', but I suppose I need to find a biography for that rather than a fictional account of her life. If anyone knows of a good one, let me know!
Telling the story with an associated narrator was a good strategy. The reality of his own illness pervaded what might have otherwise been a completely 'impersonal' story, though I'm not sure the ending 'worked' well.
I enjoyed the related historical context and never ceased to be suprised at the 'newness' of life in the USA - but then I live in what is still recognisable as a medieval English market town and my perspective on time is based on that!
Thank you for passing this on to me. It was great. I will send it on once I have the next address.

Journal Entry 38 by Fofum at on Sunday, April 25, 2004
Release planned for Monday, April 26, 2004 at Royal Mail in Beverley, England United Kingdom.

On her way to Australia. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 39 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, May 11, 2004
Has arrived with me in Melbourne.

I was actually treated for typhoid when I was living in Cambodia for 6 months...and actually titled a group email home "Typhoid Tash". Something tells me I won't think that was so funny after reading this book!!

Journal Entry 40 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, July 11, 2004
Poor Mary! If only someone could explain it to her properly - not tackle her to the ground and tie her up!! This is the problem with the educated blaming the uneducated for things they don't understand...

At first, I thought it was actually quite amusing - this little girl that the world had wronged by having her turn up in a foreign country with no family, and having men take advantage of her, leaving a trail of dead rich people! Karmic if I have ever heard of it!!

But then the mystery person who hired her in the hope that her infliction would help him do away with his daughter with a disability...and then the tracking of poor Mary, and her subsequent fears and constant moving. It's all very sad really.

Poor Mary.

Journal Entry 41 by chivers from Recife, Pernambuco Brazil on Tuesday, July 27, 2004
just got this with other bookring. don't know what happens but everytime i finish reading a bookring i seem to receive 2 more!!!! will do my best not to keep it for more than 30 days.thanks.

Journal Entry 42 by chivers from Recife, Pernambuco Brazil on Monday, August 30, 2004
great book!!!! i didn't know much about typhoid mary, so i am really amazed by her story. already have the address of the next participant.

mailed: 09/02/04

Journal Entry 43 by nvangel2073 from Moab, Utah USA on Sunday, September 19, 2004
I just got this book in the mail. Thankyou for letting me read this book.

Journal Entry 44 by nvangel2073 from Moab, Utah USA on Monday, September 20, 2004
this was an ok book. For some reason it left me feeling like I need more information on Mary (even if it's a fictional account). But thank you very much for sharing this book.

finished reading 8-19-04

Journal Entry 45 by Mamikaem from Maryland Heights, Missouri USA on Monday, September 27, 2004
Just received this in today's mail. I'm amazed at the great shape it is in for having traveled so far! I have a few book rings/rays in front of it, but am looking forward to reading this soon. It looks like a very quick read. Thanks for the postcard, nvangel2073!

UPDATE: 11/09/04 - Starting this one today.

Journal Entry 46 by Mamikaem from Maryland Heights, Missouri USA on Saturday, November 13, 2004
What an interesting, little book. I have never known much about Typhoid Mary, and don't know how much of this was fact or fiction. I'm interested in reading more about her. I did find the narrator's stories of his personal life to be interruptive and didn't really flow with the story of Mary.

I'm mailing this to Mysteryfan03 today.

Journal Entry 47 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Friday, November 19, 2004
Got this in the mail last night! Thanks!!

Journal Entry 48 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Monday, January 03, 2005
This was a fast little read and made you wnat to do more research on Typhoid Mary to see how much of the book was true and just more about the epidemic itself.

I also found the narrators comments intrusive at times, this book was not a great piece of writing, but the subject matter certainly was fascinating! Thanks for passing this around!

Journal Entry 49 by First-Noel from San Antonio, Texas USA on Monday, January 10, 2005
Just received this in the mail this afternoon. Sheesh, I guess I have so much going on I didn't even remember this one was coming. I'll start as soon as I'm finished with the one I'm on.

Journal Entry 50 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Sunday, February 06, 2005
received today

Journal Entry 51 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 31, 2005
Starting this one today, should be done with it this evening (quick read). PM'd salinger007 for their addy.

Journal Entry 52 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 31, 2005
Can't PM salinger007 since she has PM's turned off? PM'ing DrNoelle instead.

Journal Entry 53 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Just an update to let you know I PM'd Jackie700 and am waiting to hear from her.

Journal Entry 54 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Friday, July 15, 2005
jackie passes, pm'ing daidy

Journal Entry 55 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Friday, July 15, 2005
Mailed to Daidy today :)

Journal Entry 56 by daidy from Kansas City, Missouri USA on Thursday, July 28, 2005
I just finished another bookring book today, so I can start in on this one since it arrived today. Thanks!

Journal Entry 57 by daidy from Kansas City, Missouri USA on Monday, August 01, 2005
A quick and enjoyable read. I am waiting to hear from the next in line for an address to mail this book on.

Journal Entry 58 by daidy from Kansas City, Missouri USA on Sunday, August 21, 2005
Haven't heard back from Mandana, PMing jenvince for an address.

Journal Entry 59 by jenvince from Scottsdale, Arizona USA on Tuesday, August 30, 2005
It's here! Will get to this as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 60 by jenvince from Scottsdale, Arizona USA on Thursday, September 08, 2005
This was a quick read, I was able to read it in one evening. Well written, definitely kept my interest.

Journal Entry 61 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Tuesday, September 13, 2005
Book has arrived. Thanks!

Journal Entry 62 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Monday, September 26, 2005
What an interesting book! While it is a fictionalized account of the events of Mary's life after she landed in New York, I come away from the book having learned quite a few things. For more information on typhoid fever check out the CDC site.

Journal Entry 63 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Monday, October 03, 2005
Weeblet has asked to be skipped. Oh well.

Journal Entry 64 by bodesoda from Mount Airy, North Carolina USA on Thursday, December 22, 2005
Look what came home in the mail today...after it's second trip round the world. Hope everyone had fun.

Journal Entry 65 by bodesoda from Mount Airy, North Carolina USA on Thursday, March 27, 2008
She will head off on her 3rd trip around the world this weekend. Her line up is in a fairly east- west pattern, taking her from Ireland back home to the US.

Remember just a few simple rules:
1. Journal the book when it arrives.
2. Move it along as quickly as possible.
3. PM the next person on the list for their address.
4. If you need to be skipped please let the person PMing you know that.
5. Enjoy this book, and keep her moving.
6. Take care and be well!

Here is the line up. Enjoy!

mirp- Ireland
spoiledrotten - New JerseyIs on it's way here
ladybug74 - Alabama
bodesoda- home in North Carolina

Journal Entry 66 by rem_BSM-942247 on Tuesday, April 15, 2008
This well traveled book arrived safely in Ireland today.

Journal Entry 67 by rem_BSM-942247 on Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Fantastic little book. I'd never heard of Typhoid Mary before, it was a great little story. Thanks for sharing.

This book is on it's way to Scotland.

Journal Entry 68 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 10, 2008
Received with thanks - will make this my next read.

Journal Entry 69 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, May 16, 2008
Will be starting this book tonight.

Journal Entry 70 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 17, 2008
Title:
BCID:
No. of pages:
180
First sentence:
In the early morning hours of January 11, 1868, a ship emerged from the whirling snow outside New York Harbour and remained unnoticed by the harbour authorities until after she had violated the three-mile limit.

Many thanks to bodesoda for running a BookRing with this one which appealed to me in a strange, romantic way. I know (or should that be 'knew'?) nothing about Typhoid Mary and think I will now spend many hours trying to work out which parts of this book are fiction and which grounded in fact. Federspeil has woven magic with this book although I found the sub-plot of the narrator's asides interruptions rather than valued additions - and that's why I'm scoring it 9/10 and not 10/10.

This is the story of a woman known as Mary Mallon or, popularly, Typhoid Mary. We first meet her as a young girl aboard an immigrant ship entering New York Harbour. She is smuggled past immigration control by, of all people, a Doctor who becomes her first victim. And so Mary travels around New York City working as a cook and moving on when Typhoid strikes. There are happy times, romance and adventure in her life but the whole is tinged with a haunting sadness. This really was a time when life was 'brutish and short.'

I would read more by this author and recommend this book to others.

PMing plum-crazy for addy.

Journal Entry 71 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 26, 2008
PMed Plum-crazy for addy.

Journal Entry 72 by laura0141 at Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, August 29, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (8/29/2008 UTC) at Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom

On way to
Plum-crazy

Journal Entry 73 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 01, 2008
Arrived safely this morning...have a couple of books in front of it but should begin it before too long.

Journal Entry 74 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 08, 2008
A very interesting little book, which didn't take long to read.

What I found particularly intriguing was the idea of Mary being such a beauty. From page 126 ....it wasn't just the pale grey of her eyes that made her face so striking... she had an attractive way of walking... & there was an elegance in all her movements. I read Anthony Bourdain's Typhoid Mary last year & from that had Mary down as a very plain, stocky, thick-set type!

I'm waiting on lucy-lemon's address & as I soon as I get it, this book will be moving again...thanks for making it availiable bodesoda.

Journal Entry 75 by wingPlum-crazywing at per Post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/17/2008 UTC) at per Post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to lucylemon

2008 KEEP THEM MOVING CHALLENGE (#58)

Edit: 28th September - sent to AgnesXNitt as no response from lucylemon & needed to post before my hols.

Journal Entry 76 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 25, 2008
But somehow it ended up with me - AgnesXNitt!
Received in the post either this morning or on Wednesday morning - I've been briefly in the local hospital this week due the sudden and very scary onslaught of a chest infection that had my parents taking me to A&E at Midnight on Tuesday/Wednesday - so apologies for not logging immediately...
Anyway - what a strange little book. I was aware of, well, shall I say, the 'highlights' of Mary Mallon's life: from the St. Denis Hotel onwards, but was unaware of her initial arrival as an orphan immigrant from Germany. The docu-drama I saw said she was definetly Irish and the actress had a Brogue wide enough to bridge the Liffey! How fascinating, and how tragic a woman she was. Surely suffering from what today would be referred to as Survivor's Syndrome, as she was constantly on the attack with life, refusing to accept what should have been obvious to her. I don't think she was an unintelligent woman at all, I just think she was denied by circumstance and birth the education that would have perhaps saved her a lot of unhappiness and worry. Doctor George Soper comes across as a right martinet, I mean, talk about heavy handed, turning up at Mary's tenement lodgings armed with the Victorian equivalent of the Flying Squad! I wonder if they ever tried to sit down and explain Mary's condition to her in a way she could have understood. Probably not. She spent so much of her life alone - losing her parents and siblings on the journey to America, never being loved or cherished but only seemingly used by men either as a convenience like Chris Cramer (and what a strange 'relationship' that was), a sexual plaything by rich men, as a means to an end for that poor child she was hired to kill by connection and finally, as a lab rat by the medical fraternity.
I am glad I read this book, particularly in one sitting as I feel had I taken a break, I would have lost the rhythm of the story.
Many thanks to Bodesoda for hosting this ring, I am now interested in reading more about Mary Mallon a.k.a. Maria Anna Carduff a.k.a. Typhoid Mary.
And thanks to Plum-Crazy for posting on.
Now PM'ing Cassiopaeia in Wales for her address.

Journal Entry 77 by wingCassiopaeiawing from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, September 29, 2008
Arrived safely, AgnesXNitt had your infection been after you had received the book it would have been very worrying indeed. Hope you are feeling better now. I have just started reading Snow by Orhan Pamuk but only just, so I will bump this up and start it tonight, as there are many bookcrossers waiting to read it, the other will hold for a few days.

Journal Entry 78 by wingCassiopaeiawing from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 30, 2008
What a very sad life, used and abused from beginning to end. And think of it, this would have been the lot of many a young girl (barring the typhoid) who ended up in a similar situation at the time.
Thanks bodesoda for sharing, delighted to see this book still travelling after five and a half years!

Journal Entry 79 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/30/2008 UTC) at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

In the post to Kerriou in Swansea, Wales.
KTMC #64

Journal Entry 80 by Kerriou from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 01, 2008
Arrived this morning. Thanks, Cassiopaeia.

Journal Entry 81 by Kerriou from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 08, 2008
A quick and fascinating read. Thank you for sharing, bodesoda.

Posted off to lucy-lemon this morning.

Journal Entry 82 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, October 09, 2008
Arrived this morning. Have a book to read first and then this one. Really looking forward to it :-)

14/10/2008

Finished this the day before yesterday. I'm not really sure whether I liked it or not. I certainly found it very interesting. Thanks for sharing! PMed the next person.

29/10/2008

Posted today to LeishaCamden in Norway

Journal Entry 83 by LeishaCamden from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, November 05, 2008
This book arrived this weekend while I was out of town, so I'm only getting around to journalling it now. I'm looking forward to reading this - this type of story fascinates me. ;-)

I'll journal again when I've read the book.

Journal Entry 84 by LeishaCamden from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, December 03, 2008
I've read this book now, finished it on November 24th. Sorry, I'm a slow journaller. :-( I liked this book a lot, I found it interesting as I knew very little about Typhoid Mary before and this was an intriguing enough story that I've been reading up on her online since finishing the book. Fascinating to see what the author was able to do with her story. I like other readers have mentioned quite enjoyed the weaving together of the two plot threads - Mary's on the one hand and our narrator on the other - this was skilfully done. The book is pretty well written and certainly well translated. The setting was really good too, it was credible and convincing. A glimpse of New York as it was. :-) Overall a clever take on a true story, with both moving scenes, humor and a bit of horror. Thanks for sharing this unusual book with us, bodesoda. :-)

I will check with hippolein to see if he's ready to receive this book, and then get it off to Finland as soon as I can. :-)

Journal Entry 85 by LeishaCamden at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 05, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (2/5/2009 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I've been totally forgetting to mail this book!! :-o But now it's finally on its way to Helsinki. I'm sorry for keeping it for so long. :-( Thank you for sharing it. Happy reading to hippolein - I hope you'll feel better by the time this book arrives, but even if you don't, this book is an easy and intriguing read. :-)

Journal Entry 86 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, February 09, 2009
The book arrived already today in Finland. Have some other ringbooks before it, but will try to read it as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot LeishaCamden for sending it to Finland and bodesoda for the bookring.

Journal Entry 87 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful book.
A fascinating, sad, well written story about a very special lady. The drawings in the book are of the same exceptional quality as the book itself!

Will contact now the next on the list to see if the book can go there!

Journal Entry 88 by winghippoleinwing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (2/11/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The book is now ready to ship (well, hope it will take the plane) to Hong Kong, hope it arrives safely and fast.

Journal Entry 89 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Received in today's post. Thanks hippolein for sending it to me and bodesoda for making it a ring.

Journal Entry 90 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Friday, February 20, 2009
Very interesting read on this story. I, too, enjoyed the way the author deftly wove the two stories together and created a story for Mary beyond what facts are currently known. My daughter is studying diseases right now in school and we were discussing Typhoid Mary, so the timing of this little book arriving here was very good. Thanks again to all for sharing. Am passing it along today to bookworm76.

Journal Entry 91 by bookworm76 from Chermside, Queensland Australia on Sunday, March 01, 2009
Arrived here in Australia. I will attempt to read it as quickly as I can.

Journal Entry 92 by bookworm76 at Lutwyche, Queensland Australia on Monday, April 06, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (4/6/2009 UTC) at Lutwyche, Queensland Australia

Sending this off to its next destination

Journal Entry 93 by LGinder on Wednesday, May 06, 2009
All the way from Australia to the USA this little book has made it safely here. I'll read it shortly and get it back out soon.

Journal Entry 94 by LGinder on Saturday, May 09, 2009
Interesting little book. Frightening to see how Mary seemed to know that what she was doing was wrong yet she continued to do continued to pursue her cooking. And yet the little girl didn't die? As the newspaper today still reads the latest headlines on the "Swine Flu" outbreak worldwide I think back on how this disease could too could have been at least been lessened with simple soap and hot water. Not wiped out, but not spread with such force as it was so to speak.

I've PM'd the next in line and am waiting for their address. Will get it off as soon as they reply. Thanks for including me in the ring!

NOTE: SKIPPED CARTERGIRL97 PER RING ORIGINATOR AND SENT TO MSJOANNA

Journal Entry 95 by LGinder at Bookring, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 14, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (5/14/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sending off in todays mail, happy travels little book!

Journal Entry 96 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Wednesday, May 20, 2009
This arrived in New York a day or two ago. My mother already intercepted it and read it. She enjoyed it, though said she would have liked to hear more about Mary's own thoughts and feelings rather than just an account of what was happening and what other people thought. I'll be starting this today.

Journal Entry 97 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Saturday, May 23, 2009
I enjoyed this book, but didn't love it. Having the "present day" narrator allowed the author to weave in extra historical details, which I liked, but I didn't really like the narrator's own story or the epilogue by the narrator's daughter. I enjoyed the tales of the deaths caused by Mary, but I definitely would have liked more insight into Mary's thoughts and feelings rather than just a fictionalized chronicle.

I'll be mailing this as soon as I get an address for spoiledrotten.

Journal Entry 98 by msjoanna at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (5/27/2009 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This is now in the mail to spoiledrotten. It shouldn't take long as she doesn't live too far away.

Journal Entry 99 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Sunday, May 31, 2009
Received in the mail yesterday! Thanks msjoanna for sending, and thanks to bodesoda for making this available for the THIRD time. I am impressed by all of its travels. I will read as soon as I am done with my current book.

Journal Entry 100 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, June 03, 2009
This was a pretty good read. You did feel empathy for Mary because she really didn't want to believe she was the cause for all of the deaths all she wanted to do was cook. I will try & get this in the mail tomorrow so it can continue on its journey. Thanks again.