Babyji

by Abha Dawesar | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Daine of Bremen, Bremen Germany on 8/1/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Daine from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Wednesday, August 01, 2007
Sexy, surprising, and subversively wise, Babyji is the story of Anamika Sharma, a spirited student growing up in Delhi. At school she is an ace at quantum physics. At home she sneaks of to her parents´ scooter garage to read the Kamasutra. Before long she has seduced an elegant older divorcée and the family servant, and has caught the eye of a classmate coveted by all the boys...

Not really my cup of tea, the story is only skin deep, and too simple to be interesting to read...

Journal Entry 2 by toshokanin from Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Sunday, October 07, 2007
The book arrived yesterday - thank you!

Journal Entry 3 by toshokanin at Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Monday, August 16, 2010
Well, I'm not sure what to make of this book. Did I like it? Or not really? I thought the story about a 16 year old girl having an affair with three women at once and not thinking the least of it a bit unbelievable. And the story was not at all sexy, really. On the other hand, all the middle class Inien background made it worth reading nevertheless.

Journal Entry 4 by toshokanin at Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Monday, August 16, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (8/16/2010 UTC) at Dresden, Sachsen Germany

travels on to Into-the-Blue

Journal Entry 5 by Into-the-Blue at Stade, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Thanks so much for the book. I am such a big fan of Indian culture, music, food etc..Have been to India twice and loved it. I am looking forward to read this though it will go on my big Mount TBR at first.

Released 9 yrs ago (1/26/2011 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Niedersachsen Germany

I didn't read it but I needed a birthday surprise for someone who loves Asian literature. I'm not sure though if this is the type of book you like. At least it is not a romance story, I think. Anyway, if you don't like it, just pass it on. Hope you will like the chocolate though. :-)

Happy birthday and many happy returns!!!

Journal Entry 7 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Tuesday, February 01, 2011
Thanks a lot, Into-the-Blue! Never heard about this book. And strawberry-pepper chocolate sounds glorious!!!

Journal Entry 8 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Wednesday, February 29, 2012
This is an entertaining coming-of-age tale written in the first person of a 16-year-old protagonist who discovers her sexuality. She has an interesting personality, even though quite ego-centric, and I liked how she relates things in her life to quantum physics. Like other readers before me, I sometimes I found she’s not very convincing for an Indian girl of that age, especially her self-awareness and introspective tone are a bit too advanced – I guess there’s the (adult) author lurking out. But then at other times she’s simply adolescent. The plot becomes sometimes a bit repetitive, in the middle of the book things move somewhat slowly and I started skimming pages. However, I enjoyed the book a lot for the descriptions of Indian culture – mainly regarding love, sex, gender, class and caste. There are some great descriptions. Sexuality, especially homosexuality, is such a taboo topic in India, it’s rare to come across a book like this.

Journal Entry 9 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (3/30/2012 UTC) at Bremen, Bremen Germany

Surprise for Annimanni.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, April 04, 2012
And another one... Thank you so so much!

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, December 16, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (12/16/2016 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Surprise RABCK to another bookcrosser. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Monday, December 19, 2016
Thank you so much for this book and the others too!:)