Hell's Angel: The Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club

by Sonny Barger, Keith Zimmerman, Kent Zimmerman | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Wild-Book-Karma on 7/30/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Wild-Book-Karma on Monday, July 30, 2007
Hardcover.

Released 14 yrs ago (8/11/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

[BFP]

Sending to Firegirl via post.

Journal Entry 3 by wingFiregirlwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Thursday, August 23, 2007
Arrived safely today. With school starting I need more books like I need a hole in my head, but I just couldn't resist this -- I'm a sucker for Hell's Angels stuff. It may be a bit before I get to it, but it'll happen eventually! (And wow, knowing how many books were registered at once I can't imagine handwriting all that label information. Your poor hand! Thanks again!)

From Booklist: Barger, king of the chopper pilots, road variety, is an American icon, and his life story is a history of the biker lifestyle. As president of the Oakland chapter of the Hell's Angels, he has seen and survived hassles with the police, peaceniks, and the Rolling Stones, with their "prissy clothes and makeup" --all of which he recounts. He notes fine points, such as the fact that it was Emmett Grogan, of the radical egalitarian Diggers, who suggested that the Angels work security at the Stones' ill-fated free show at Altamont, California. He nonchalantly admits to criminal acts, such as pulling a gun on Keith Richards onstage. Withal, however, he includes only somewhat more sex and violence in his life story than one encounters in most contemporary biographies. Certainly, specific expressions of Barger's biker attitudes may scandalize the squeamish; for instance, his explanation of why women engaged in group sex with bikers: "For a certain kind of chick, it was an honor to get fucked by a bunch of Hell's Angels." Even if such sentiments prove too straightforward and earthy for some, the book is a dandy cultural document. Barger paints an engrossing picture of a distinctive subculture that receives precious little literary attention. Yet bikers probably live in many a library's community. So read up on them, organize a booktalk on Hell's Angels, and some of them may well offer to bring the refreshments, not to mention some invaluable diversity. (Mike Tribby, Copyright © American Library Association.)

Journal Entry 4 by wingFiregirlwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Tuesday, December 25, 2007
Merry Christmas! I still have about 50 pages or so left to read in this, but I'm taking it with me on a trip this morning to finish reading while I'm gone. Since I'll probably wild release it somewhere at my destination (Albuquerque, New Mexico) I wanted to make a quick note here before I leave.

I've enjoyed this. Barger pulls no punches as he talks about his life. Some of the stories are graphic (though not TOO bad, really, certainly not as bad as some of the mystery/thriller fiction around) and he certainly isn't what anyone would think of as a hero. But he's honest and unapologetic about the life he's lead and I suppose there's something to be said about that. He does give his version of "famous" Hell's Angel events, including the free Rolling Stone's concert where they were hired as security. He admits to the crimes that he HAS committed, while firmly denying ones he was simply accused of. (Considering what he 'fesses up to, I tended to believe him when he claimed innocence in other situations.) He speaks honestly of jail, fights, wars with other clubs, problems with RICO, books and movies written about the club (he didn't think much of Hunter Thompson or his book), etc. It's a raw, gritty read. Barger isn't likeable, but he doesn't try to paint himself that way. Recommended for anyone interested in what being a Hell's Angel is REALLY like.

Thanks again, Wild-Book-Karma!!

Released 13 yrs ago (12/27/2007 UTC) at Painted Horse Cafe & Bakery (business closed) in Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

RELEASE NOTES: Left on the OBCZ shelf. It did kind of clash with the other books on the shelf, but here's hoping it finds a new home just the same!

Journal Entry 6 by jare from Port Richey, Florida USA on Saturday, February 2, 2008
Well, I have to admit, when I saw that Firegirl released this at the OBCZ, I was thinking it would go quick, and thought it a shame I wouldn't have time to grab it lol. Well, turns out it was actually still on the shelf today! I will read and then pass on!

Journal Entry 7 by jare at Osgood, Indiana USA on Friday, January 9, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (1/10/2009 UTC) at Osgood, Indiana USA

Ok, I have given this book a try, and just couldn't get into it. Seems quite interesting, I just don't think I'm in the mood for bio reads at the moment. I will pass this on to hostile17 as part of a trade.

Released for the Ultimate Challenge 2009!

Journal Entry 8 by wingbook_drunkardwing from Osgood, Indiana USA on Friday, January 16, 2009
Received in the mail today.
Thank you very much for the trade.