Homestead: Modern Pioneers Pursuing the Edge of Possibility

by Jane Kirkpatrick | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingbooklady331wing of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 8/8/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 08, 2007
From back:

Joining her husband in the fight to create a home out of a rugged stretch of sagebrush, rattlesnakes, and sand in eastern Oregon, Jane Kirkpatrick uneasily relinquishes the security of a professional career; the convenience of electricity, running water, and a phone line; and, perhaps most daunting, the pleasures of sporting a professional manicure. But the pull of the land is irresistible, and they dream of gathering their first harvest from a yet-to-be-planted vineyard.

Rather than the simple life they had envisioned, Jane and Jerry find themselves confronting flood and fire, government bureaucracies, and runaway calves, among other disheartening setbacks. Jane frequently questions the sanity of pioneering in this remote area, known as Starvation Point, and she fights against panic with each trip down the seven-mile, boulder-strewn, rut-carved “driveway” she calls “the reptile road,” which threatens to spill them into the ravine with every lurch of the truck.

But as she learns to navigate her new life, this novice rancher discovers that disappointment, isolation, and danger can’t compete with the generosity of their rural community, the strength of family bonds, and the faithfulness of the God who planted in their hearts the dream of carving a refuge out of an inhospitable land.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, August 27, 2010
An enjoyable read. Certainly not the life for me. I think of all the time, energy, work, and money that went into this homestead. I wish there were more pictures.

Side note: I was reading Walk on Water by Madeline L'Engle at the same time. Walk on Water was my morning book; Jane Kirkpatrick referred to Madeline a few time in the last quarter of the book. Perfect timing.

Off to NancyNova for RABCK and One Word Title release challenges.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at an Exchange, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, August 27, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (8/27/2010 UTC) at an Exchange, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, December 29, 2014
noticed that I never caught this one. Well, it's in Pa!

Journal Entry 5 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, August 09, 2019
Interesting, but I agree - I can't imagine that life. Of course 150 years ago..that was life.
And this is moving along again in the one word challenge

Journal Entry 6 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale R5 Train Station in Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, August 09, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (8/9/2019 UTC) at Lansdale R5 Train Station in Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA

for the one word release challenge

If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. I would love it if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it. Then, when you are ready, pass it along for someone else to enjoy!
Thanks and happy reading!