A Thousand Splendid Suns

by Khaled Hosseini | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by PepperVL of Cincinnati, Ohio USA on 7/29/2007
Journal Entry 1 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Sunday, July 29, 2007
(from bn.com)

Khaled Hosseini's follow-up to The Kite Runner does not disappoint. Set like its predecessor in war-torn Afghanistan, A Thousand Splendid Suns uses that tumultuous backdrop to render the heroic plight of two women of different generations married to the same savagely abusive male. Born out of wedlock, Mariam was forced to marry 40-year-old Rasheed when she was only 15. Then, 18 years later, her still childless husband angrily takes an even younger wife. Hosseini renders the story of Mariam and her "sister/daughter," Laila, with persuasive detail and consummate humanity. Their abject situation leaves them no emotional space for idle philosophizing; their resistance is from the very core of their being. Truly must-read fiction.

Going to tranq1 as part of her Happiness Day package.

Journal Entry 2 by tranq1 from Tampa, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Received from my Happiness Day Partner on bookobseesed. It is a wishlist book. thank you.

Journal Entry 4 by lilmztaz from Blythewood, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, July 29, 2008
picked for my hubby

Journal Entry 5 by lilmztaz at Blythewood, South Carolina USA on Friday, November 05, 2010
This book was amazing. I had a hard time putting it down. I am passing on to a friend