The Little Prince

by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by GateGypsy of Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on 7/28/2007
Journal Entry 1 by GateGypsy from Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, July 28, 2007
I have read and re-read this book so many times. I watched and re-watched that old anime of it more times than I can count. I even joined a bookring of this book several years ago! This particular copy of the book I purchased because I needed good books to leave at the innaugural release of my NEW OFFICIAL BOOKCROSSING ZONE at the Chilkoot Starbucks, and I knew this book is GOOOOOD. (It's also one of the 1001 books you MUST read before you die.) Having re-read my notes in the bookring, though, I realize that I must buy another copy because now I have sons as well as nephews to read it with! I have yet to find out what a real kid (not just a kid-at-heart) feels about this story in bookform. (I know how I felt about the cartoon as a child, myself, which is why I read the book when I found it as a more-or-less-grown-up.)

I adore this book. Reading it makes my heart ache in that happy-sad way it does once you've been tamed. (Read the book and you'll understand.)

"It has done me good," said the fox, "because of the colour of the wheat fields."

From the back:
The Little Prince is a classic tale of equal appeal to children and adults. On one level it is the story of an airman's discovery in the desert of a small boy from another planet -- the Little Prince of the title -- and his stories of intergalactic travel, while on the other hand it is a thought-provoking allegory of the human condition. First published in 1943, the year before the author's death in action, this new translation contains Saint-Exupéry's delightful illustrations.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Whitehorse, Yukon Canada on Thursday, November 04, 2010
I found this book at the Salvtion Army in Whitehorse, Yukon.
It is my daughter's favourite book of all time... and she's an English Honours Major from Acadia University. (Although, her copy is in French... I stick to the English version)
I've read it many times... and it always speaks of something new each time... or perhaps as we grow older we need reminding.

I am sending this book on to my dearest friend, in Nova Scotia. I have a feeling it will not stay there long... but journey on to a new world.

To quote THE LITTLE PRINCE:
"To forget a friend is sad. Not every one has had a friend. And if I forget him, I may become like the grown-ups who are no longer interested in anything but figures…"

Robin: When you read this... know that I will never forget that you are my friend... and unlike other grown-ups... I am not interested in 'figures'!

Please take care of THE LITTLE PRINCE... and send him on a worldwide journey!