Frozen in Time: The Fate of the Franklin Expedition

Registered by wingsouramwing of Genève, Genève Switzerland on 7/19/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingsouramwing from Genève, Genève Switzerland on Thursday, July 19, 2007
OK, I chose "history". But it can be read as a "mystery & thrillers" category item, with a forensic expert exhumating a corpse in the far north. Could be "travel" as well. Don't miss the pictures in the book!
"A remarkable piece of forensic deduction" (Margaret Atwood).
A must-be-read book.
I started reading it at Keskustori, Tampere, July 18, 2007, sitting on the concrete ring of a water fountain. Then I had a strange dream about this book just the following July 18-19 night: I was travelling in a frozen country, then I entered a white slow lift all made of wood. The door opened automatically and I got off the cabin, entering a little library-bar.
(Version francaise)
J'ai bcp aime ce livre. "Histoire", certes mais aussi "thrillers et mystere" ou "voyage". Un medecin legiste exhume un corps dans un coin perdu du Grand Nord canadien. Sur ARTE est passe un docu sur l'expedition Franklin, certain-e-s l'ont peut-etre vu...
Doit etre lu. Ne pas manquer les photos non plus dans ce volume.
J'aimerais lancer un ring polaire meme si 276 pages c'est a priori beaucoup pour un ring, mais ce livre n'ennuyera personne. Je verrai quand j'aurai une minute, a mon retour de Finlande. Pour le moment, je range ce livre dans ma "permanent collection". Matiere a 2 rings, en Francophonie et en anglophonie.

Journal Entry 2 by wingsouramwing from Genève, Genève Switzerland on Thursday, March 13, 2008
Emission sur ARTE jeudi 13 mars 2008, 20h15.

Journal Entry 3 by wingsouramwing from Genève, Genève Switzerland on Tuesday, March 17, 2009
for the Book Swimming Pool in Portugal.

Journal Entry 4 by wingsouramwing at Senhora Da Hora, -- Por correio / mão própria -- Portugal on Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/18/2009 UTC) at Senhora Da Hora, -- Por correio / mão própria -- Portugal

Welcome to bookcrossing !
Everyone knows the Arctic now, right ?

Journal Entry 5 by PiscinaLivros on Thursday, April 02, 2009
Just arrived.
It goes directly to the "Pool".
Thanks souram

Released 10 yrs ago (5/9/2009 UTC) at Piscina de Livros da I Convencao Nacional in Maceda, Aveiro Portugal

Mergulho na Piscina!

Journal Entry 7 by Rossifumi from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Sunday, May 10, 2009
Caught at the virtual pool of the First Portuguese Convention.

Journal Entry 8 by fungaga from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Rossifumi didn't read it yet, so I pick it up form the pile. It is a theme that really fascinates me, and I'm enjoying the book alot. Thank's souram, from the wonderful opportunity.

Journal Entry 9 by fungaga from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, October 15, 2009
I really enjoyed this book. Thank you, souram, for the opportunity you provided us to read it. Altough sometimes the descriptions of the fieldwork are a bit too detailed, it was fashinating to learn so much on this cursed expedition and on all the atemps made to solve the mistery of its failure.

As a curiosity, as the subject really interested me, I did a little research at the wikipedia, and found the link to this article http://www.hakluyt.com/PDF/Battersby_Franklin.pdf, writen after this book, where the author suggested that the source of the lead poisoning of the tripulation may not have been tinned food, but the distilled water systems fitted to the expedition’s ships.

Journal Entry 10 by CynthiaA from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 07, 2010
This lovely book was waiting for me when I returned from a holiday, and I am so excited to get it! Thanks so much, and I can't wait to read it. The story looks fascinating!

Journal Entry 11 by CynthiaA at Brantford, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Finished this book tonight. I liked it -- it was excellent in places and a tad pedantic in places. But overall, a good read. Informative and interesting. The only thing I knew about the Franklin Expedition prior to reading this was that they were lost searching for the Northwest Passage.

I'm reserving this book for an upcoming sweeps/exchange.

Journal Entry 12 by CynthiaA at Brantford, Ontario Canada on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (6/7/2012 UTC) at Brantford, Ontario Canada

This book is being released to the winner of the Canadian lit sweepstakes. I hope you enjoy these selections!

Journal Entry 13 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Well, this is interesting. It appears I am the winner of the Canadian Lit Sweepstakes. I'm gobsmacked because I only entered to build up some interest in my Canada Days release challenge. Thank you CynthiaA for sending me this book and the other you included in the package.

This book is doubly interesting since I also just received an ARC of Inukshuk by Gregory Spatz which is a fictional account of the Franklin Expedition. It's a subject that I am quite interested in having read Pierre Berton's The Arctic Grail and several other books that deal with the quest for the Northwest Passage.

Journal Entry 14 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, September 07, 2013
Over the years I’ve read a number of accounts about the ill-fated Franklin Expedition of 1845 and 1846. Some concentrate on the expedition itself, some on one or more of the subsequent searches for Franklin, some even on Franklin’s wife, Lady Jane. This is the first I have read that details a modern search, based on scientific evidence, for the cause of the failure. As a scientist I personally found this book fascinating.
I especially loved the role that serendipity played in the outcome because that so often is how scientific advances are made. In this case, Owen Beattie (who is a forensic anthropologist) expected to find evidence that would confirm that the crew suffered from scurvy. The skeletal remains that his team found in their first Arctic trip were sent for atomic absorption analysis as a matter of thoroughness, not because anything in particular was being looked for. When the results of the analysis showed the bones from the Franklin crew member had extremely high levels of lead the investigation took a new turn.
I thought the explanation of the scientific testing was very well done, something that any intelligent lay person could understand. It’s not every scientist that can write in a way that is intelligible to someone outside of the field. I presume John Geiger may have had something to do with that but I suspect that Dr. Beattie is the rare scientist who can capture an audience regardless of who composes it.
Great read.

Journal Entry 15 by winggypsysmomwing at Playground in Waterton Village, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (9/5/2013 UTC) at Playground in Waterton Village, Alberta Canada

I left this book at the corner of the playground that has an information shelter with things to see and do in Waterton National Park. The thing to do this week in Waterton was to go looking for bears. We were there for 4 nights and we saw a total of 17 bears. The bears were all of the black bear type but they ranged in colour from light brown to cinnamon to chocolate to dark black. They also ranged in size from cubs to full-grown. Really fascinating.

This release is for the 2013 52 Towns in 52 Weeks release challenge - Town #34.