A Thousand Splendid Suns

by Khaled Hosseini | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Libre-Muncher of Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on 7/12/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Libre-Muncher from Las Cruces, New Mexico USA on Thursday, July 12, 2007

Some time ago, I wrote the following: “It has been some time since I have read a fictional book as good as this. It is a book of childhood in the pre-Russian Invasion of Afghanistan. This story ends at the current date.

It is a good illustration of how happy children, safe with their families and secure with their neighborhoods can quickly lose their childhood to the ambitions of adults craving power. In this story first, it was the royalty and the coup that overthrew the king to establish the People’s Republic of Afghanistan, then the Russians, then the happiness when they were chased out by the Mujadeen, then the disappointment in the fanaticism of the Mujadeen and the People’s Islamic Republic of Afghanistan which gives way to joy when they are displaced by the Taliban who, in turn impose their form of fanaticism. All sense of childhood is lost.” I wrote that comment here in Book Crossing in describing The Kite Runner (BCID: 4211277). Those comments still apply to Mr. Hosseini’s follow-up book. The title comes from two lines written by a Seventeenth Century Poet roughly translated into English. The two lines are repeated in the book and mentioned as a farewell ode to Kabul. The two lines read:

One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs
Or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls.

In The Kite Runner, the tale was about the boys of Kabul and their fathers attempting to live a normal life through the horrors of militant change. This book is sort of the same except it is the story of the girls and their mothers living in a comfortable environment only to go into new rules forbidding the teaching of women and the requirement that they be totally covered when going out of their homes which they are unable to do unless escorted by a male member of their family.

Early in this book, the children are taken to see the magnificent statues of Buddha in the Bamiyan Valley which had been carved two thousand years ago and were in an area that had not seen any Buddhists since the ninth century. The people were proud of the magnificent statues even though they were followers of Islam. Later in the book, the Taliban destroy those statues allegedly to support the rules of their version of Islam.

Like the previous book, there are wonderful times and tragic times.

It is a wonderful book.

Journal Entry 2 by Libre-Muncher at BookRelay in Omaha, Nebraska USA on Saturday, July 14, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (7/14/2007 UTC) at BookRelay in Omaha, Nebraska USA

Book was posted this morning to Libby2 in Omaha.

Journal Entry 3 by Libby2 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Friday, July 20, 2007
Arrived yesterday, July 19, 2007. Thanks Libre-Muncher for sending this gently-read hardcover copy on to me in a controlled-release trade! I look forward to reading this highly recommended novel. I promise to journal again after reading and then pass it on to the next reader. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by Libby2 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, December 20, 2007
I don't know what I can add to Libre-Muncher's excellent comments on this book....beautifully said! But, here goes:

A compelling book, well worth reading! At times, I found it very hard to put this book down and the story will stay with me for a very long time. I found this to be an effortless way to learn a little history about the various political occupations of Afghanistan over the last thirty years. This time the story is told by the women's perspective, as opposed to The Kite Runner, which was told by the men's. It is a very sad unforgettable story of courage in the face of oppression and violence, against the backdrop of an indestructible love. I am very glad I read this book. It really explained so much about the cultural differences between the east and west. Very informative, as well as entertaining! Now, time to pass it on to the next reader!

Journal Entry 5 by Libby2 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Saturday, November 15, 2008
Mailed on Friday, November 14th '08 to MarysGirl (Brooklyn, NY) in a controlled-release trade. This is an amazing book. I know you will find it fascinating!

Journal Entry 6 by MarysGirl from Brooklyn, New York USA on Friday, November 21, 2008
Arrived in the mail today as part of a trade. I'm looking forward to reading this, because I very much enjoyed The Kite Runner. Thanks Libby2!

Journal Entry 7 by MarysGirl at Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, July 04, 2011
This book has had myriad reviews, so I can add little. I found this story about two women in war-torn Afghanistan relentlessly sad, but uplifting. A worthy successor to the The Kite Runner.

Journal Entry 8 by MarysGirl at Brooklyn, New York USA on Saturday, July 23, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/23/2011 UTC) at Brooklyn, New York USA

Going into TaleofGenji's Fiction Book Box. Hope the next reader enjoys the story as much as I did!

Journal Entry 9 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Monday, August 22, 2011
I selected this one from TaleofGenji's Anything Goes Fiction Bookbox. Thanks for including it and I am looking forward to reading it and then passing it on.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Monday, July 03, 2017
I have decided after letting this book languish on the shelf for 6 years it was time to let it go on new adventures. Making available