Mrs Dalloway (Penguin Modern Classics)

by Virginia Woolf | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Chania of Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on 7/11/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, July 11, 2007
"Clarissa Dalloway, elegant and vivacious, is preparing for a party and remembering those she once loved. In another part of London, Septimus Warren Smith is shell-shocked and on the brink of madness. Smith's day interweaves with that of Clarissa and her friends, their lives converging as the party reaches its glittering climax."

Journal Entry 2 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Saturday, February 02, 2008
Well, this is a classic that I probably read once when I was teenager,a long ago, and at that time I really didn't figure it out. But now it all made sence - the main theme (I think) of woman growing old, going through her life. This middle-age-theme seems to have followed me past year with many books, so I am probably doing the same thing.
I liked the story of Septimus Warren Smith a lot, it was such a good description of someone getting mentally ill (or of course he was already ill, and it had just started to show to others too) - as for Clarissa, in my opinion she was not very passionate about people (at least not anymore, if ever), but very perceptive about her life. I think many of us has had those moments of being outsiders, looking everyday things and events from "the other side" of life.

Journal Entry 3 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Monday, February 04, 2008
Reserved for 101 Library.

Journal Entry 4 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, February 04, 2008
Thank you Chania! Such a great classic!

Journal Entry 5 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Monday, February 22, 2010
Sending this to Niora :)

Journal Entry 6 by Niora from Ranco, Lombardia Italy on Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Arrived in the mail today, thanks Chania! I recently read Michael Cunningham's The Hours, which kindled my interest in Mrs Dalloway and Virginia Woolf in general (I've already read Orlando since then). Will try to get into this soonish.

Journal Entry 7 by Niora at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Friday, April 22, 2011
I read this book months ago but have somehow forgotten to journal this. Which of course means that I don't recall the experience very closely any more. I didn't completely get this novel, I guess, but I found it pleasant enough with all sorts of interesting detail - I was glad of the notes, they explained some very unclear things from time to time. The different characters and how their minds worked were also pretty intriguing.

I'll now return this to the 1001-library. Thanks again, Chania!

Journal Entry 8 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, April 22, 2011

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Niora:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 9 by Niora at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Sunday, June 30, 2013
This book has been requested by 1001 Library member PI-DE from Germany, I'll be sending it along within the next few days.

Journal Entry 10 by Niora at 1001-Library Member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 01, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (7/1/2013 UTC) at 1001-Library Member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

In the mail to PI-DE. Happy reading and happy trails!

Journal Entry 11 by PI-DE at Pinneberg, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Wednesday, July 03, 2013
Thanks for this book

Journal Entry 12 by JoshuaFlint at Moab, Utah USA on Sunday, August 18, 2013
Book will travel soon to the next reader

Journal Entry 13 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Tuesday, September 17, 2013
This book is now with me, after receiving a surprise package from .. PI-DE? JoshuaFlint? schwarzer-mann? you know the story. I didn't request it, but I'm glad to have received it, as this is a book I've been meaning to read for quite a while.

Journal Entry 14 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Saturday, June 21, 2014
Loved it. If you did, too, go read "The Hours" by Michael Cunningham. I admit I read them the other way around :)

This book is once again available for 1001-library members.

Journal Entry 15 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (1/23/2019 UTC) at București, Wallachia Romania

After gathering dust on my shelf for years, found on a fellow 1001 reader's wishlist :)
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by winghetku77wing at Nokia, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, January 30, 2019
30.1.2019 The book arrived by mail today. Thank you for fulfilling my wish, lamelemon!