Big Over Easy, (The)

by Jasper Fforde | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Wordsnark on 7/10/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Wordsnark on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
TO THE FINDER OF THIS BOOK: Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope that you will write a journal entry letting me know that the book has been found, and that you'll stick around a bit and get to know Bookcrossing. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, Wordsnark, as your referring member. Good Book Karma to You!

This is the first book of the Nursery Crime Division series by Jasper Fforde. Although not quite as sharp and manic as any of the Thursday Next series by Fforde, this is still an amusing and gripping read. The Big Over Easy is stuffed with nursery rhyme allusions and puns, as well as spoofs of pulp detective fiction. The thing is, the book works really well as a 'police procedural' even as it satirizes the form and its name authors, drops clues outrageously, and mocks plot devices only to use them smartly.

Journal Entry 2 by Wordsnark on Thursday, July 12, 2007
Released at KW meetup today.

Journal Entry 3 by Viridian from Shakespeare, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Good grief, that was fun! I started it with the expectation of casually dipping in and then got sucked in completely. I think one of the things that constantly impressed me was how the characters are so real, even if their world is...different.

Journal Entry 4 by Viridian at Bookcrossing meetup in Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (8/9/2007 UTC) at Bookcrossing meetup in Waterloo, Ontario Canada

Journal Entry 5 by AwesomeAud from New Dundee, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 11, 2007
I''ve read this before, and it''s one of the funniest books I''ve ever read. I picked up this book at the Bookcrossing meeting on Thursday, and I''m going to bring it to the get-together with the Oakville Bookcrossers.

Journal Entry 6 by AwesomeAud at Whole Lot-A Gelata in Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 11, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (8/12/2007 UTC) at Whole Lot-A Gelata in Waterloo, Ontario Canada

We''re going to be meeting some Bookcrossers from Oakville there. If the book is not taken, I''ll leave it on the shelf across from the coffee station.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 12, 2007
picked up at the Waterloo Meet-Up on a recommendation from AwesomeAud. Thanks

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 11, 2014
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books. Unfortunately she didn't get around to reading this book.

We had similar tastes in books and would share them whenever we read something we enjoyed. I've read a few Jasper Fforde books and really enjoyed them so I'm going to keep it to read.

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, September 01, 2019
Having read quite a few of Fforde's books in the past, I was excited to pick this one up, thinking incorrectly that it was part of the Thursday Next series. Instead, this book is the first of the Nursery Crime series featuring Detective Jack Spratt and Mary Mary. I've really enjoyed Fforde's other books so expected to enjoy this one but it was average at best. This just isn't as fun as the Thursday Next series. It still has the puns and word play but it didn't seem as smart as Fforde's other series. Not sure if I'd continue this series. Instead, I need to catch up on the Thursday Next series!

Journal Entry 10 by HoserLauren at Little Free Library, Centennial Drive in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 09, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (9/9/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library, Centennial Drive in Burlington, Ontario Canada

Left in the little free library on Newell.

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.

Journal Entry 11 by aliaskris29 at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 16, 2019
Found this in a Little Free Library. Will be released into a LFL.

Journal Entry 12 by aliaskris29 at Wiltshire Ave Little Free Library in Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 16, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (9/16/2019 UTC) at Wiltshire Ave Little Free Library in Burlington, Ontario Canada

Release this into a Little Free Library.