The Night Watch

by Sarah Waters | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 159448905x Global Overview for this book
Registered by sejent of Louisville, Kentucky USA on 7/10/2007
Journal Entry 1 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Received from a Bookmooch member. TBR.

Journal Entry 2 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, February 25, 2008
Reserved for a swap.

Journal Entry 3 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, April 01, 2008
I enjoyed this book, although the timeline of the story (told in reverse chronological order) made me feel as though I was missing an ending. I was very appreciative that the author included a bibliography. I always like it when historical fiction authors do this, as I am usually interested in reading some non-fiction of certain historical periods.

Sending to AceofHearts, who won this in the bookobsessed Historical Fiction swap.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, April 11, 2008
received in the mail today!!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, June 23, 2011
This book starts at the end which is 1947and then proceeds to 1944 and then 1941. It follows four characters in London. In 1947, post-war London it is how they all end up.

But the most interesting of the sections is 1944 during WWII. Some are ambulance drivers driving their injured to hospitals in the middle of air raids. One is a person who searches houses after the air raids to find undetonated bombs and other nasty stuff.

1941 is the section describing how they originally met.

Sarah Waters is known for the homosexual content in her books and this book is no different but it is just part of the story and does not overwhelm the plot. I found the first section a bit tedious but loved the second part. This is a different kind of read where you know the ending but now want to find out about the middle and the beginning.

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, October 22, 2012
Reading now!

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 27, 2012
I got about 200 pages in to this book before I gave up, because I realized I just wasn't enjoying it. My biggest problem with the book is that I felt it was about nothing at all. The first 150 pages or so are different characters that sort of interact together but have no purpose, as far as I could see. The story was moving towards nothing so I put it down.

Furthermore, I kept confusing all of the female characters. It took me a while to figure out who was who, who knew who, etc.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, November 03, 2012
This book is back with me :)

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, December 19, 2013
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books.

I will be releasing this in my mom's memory.

Journal Entry 10 by HoserLauren at PATH (Toronto's downtown walkway) in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, June 23, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (6/22/2018 UTC) at PATH (Toronto's downtown walkway) in Toronto, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.