[Bookring] A Spot of Bother

by Mark Haddon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by lilifin of Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 7/10/2007
Journal Entry 1 by lilifin from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
The book you are holding in your hands is a gift. You may read it, keep it for a while, and then pass it on to a friend, or release it in the wild. It may seem a little odd to send books to travel around the world...but that way a lot more people get to read them!

If you are new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site, welcome! Enjoy the book and the site! You may join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using any previous reader of this book, or me, lilifin, as the member who referred you. Or you may remain anonymous!

Thanks for picking up the book! Please write a journal entry about the book so that all the previous and future readers may track this book's journey. Thanks, and happy BookCrossing!

----------------------------------

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.

Released 13 yrs ago (7/10/2007 UTC) at Sent as a present in a RABCK, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

sent to a friend

Journal Entry 3 by lilifin from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, September 03, 2007
back again at my place after a short trip....I would like to send it around as a bookring. Send a PM if you are interested!

Please follow a few rules to keep this bookring going: as soon as you receive the book, register it and ask the next person in the row for their address, read it and have fun :), and then send it on and make a journal entry about that. Please try to not keep the book longer than a few weeks (2 months?) to make sure everybody gets to read it soon...

Tentative order of the bookring (might still change):

Popitze (Germany, shipping within Germany/Europe)
Lelley (UK, shipping preferentially to UK)
OpheliaPhillips (UK, shipping preferentially to UK)
RedSaab (UK, shipping to UK/Europe)
notingnothing (UK, shipping to UK)
JPix (UK, shipping to everywhere)
DJGib (UK, shipping to Europe)
RonOren (UK, shipping to Europe)
Cocobarks (Ireland, shipping to Ireland/UK/Europe)
pulcherrima (Denmark, shipping within Europe)
mallary (France, shipping to everywhere)
bookmaniac70 (Bulgaria, shipping within Europe)
oofiri (Finland, shipping to everywhere)
zosime (US, shipping to everywhere)
geishabird (Canada, shipping to everywhere)
Breeze144 (Canada, shipping to US)
MmeClinton (US, shipping to US)
Wiley90 (US, shipping to everywhere)
smilingheron (US, shipping to everywhere)
livrecache (Australia, shipping to Australia)
Piemunga (Australia, shipping preferentially to Australia)
nikkilovesbooks (Australia, shipping to everywhere)
Carole888(Australia, shipping to everywhere)
Jessi626 (Germany, shipping to everywhere)
Quantaga (Germany)
...back to my bookshelf...

Journal Entry 4 by lilifin at on Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (10/4/2007 UTC) at

Send to the first bookcrosser in the bookring...

Journal Entry 5 by Popitze from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, October 05, 2007
The Spot of Bother arrived safely today, thanks for sending, lilifin! If I had known, that you're living that close I could have come and fetch it. ;-)
I still have to finish another bookring, but I will hurry!

Journal Entry 6 by Popitze from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, December 21, 2007
After having a few days off I finally finished this funny and queer book. Just like in real life the people you expect the least are the most insane... ;-)
I am very sorry for holding up this bookring right at the start. It was not on purpose, really...
Right after Christmas (or as soon as I have Lelley's address) I will send the book off to UK.

ETA: Lelley wanted to be skipped, as she (or he?) got hold of another copy.

Journal Entry 7 by Apechild from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 29, 2007
Book arrived today - thank you! Looking forward to it. I really enjoyed Curious Incident, and also a one off tv programme drama by Haddon that was on TV over here a few months ago - I've completely forgotten what it was called though!

Journal Entry 8 by Apechild from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 03, 2008
Thank you Lilifin for organising this ring!

I enjoyed the book, although if honest, not as much as The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. In a way, the plot in this book wasn't anything original; just family dramas; but I think Haddon is particularly good at writing realistically about human emotion and problems without over sentimentalising them.

I already have RedSaab's address, so I will try and get this in the post tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by RedSaab from Dawlish, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, January 07, 2008
Received in Bookring from OpheliaPhillips, many thanks

Journal Entry 10 by RedSaab from Dawlish, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, January 14, 2008
True, it's not as original as 'Curious Incident'. But it's still a wrily amusing extended comedy of a male mid-life crisis and its backwash over a family. Gets funnier towards the end with farcial elements, rather in the Notting Hill/4 Weddings vein - I can imagine it working well as a film. I especially thought Haddon does states of altered and impaired consciousness brilliantly!
Passing on to Jpix on a bookring now..

Journal Entry 11 by JPix from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 17, 2008
Book arrived today, thanks RedSaab! I'll read it and pass it on once I've finished the one I'm reading.

Journal Entry 12 by JPix from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 25, 2008
I also enjoyed curious incident more, and kind of regret giving this to my mum as a present last year before I knew how graphic it was! Having said that, it was a good read and hard to put down. I found the story fast paced and liked the characters who were easy to empathise with.
Edit: 27th Jan - sent on to DJGib

Edit: The graphic bit I was talking about was when his wife is in his bed with other guy - I can't remember much about it now other than that part was a bit more descriptive than other books I've given to my mum in the past. I'm sure she was fine with it, just my problem that I felt a little embarassed!

Journal Entry 13 by DJgib from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 08, 2008
Sorry for the delay, the book arrived a week ago but it took me some time to get round to picking it up at the post office. No worries though, it's safe and sound. I've already started reading, about 100 pages in, and really enjoying it. Thanks for sharing lilifin and for sending it on JPix.

Journal Entry 14 by DJgib from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 18, 2008
Great read, couldn't put it down! My Mum said just before I read it that it isn't a book you should be reading just before you get married - and I see her point! Hopefully with 18 months to go the worst-case-scenario-images will have left my head, lol.

Haddon has a great talent for describing the world through the eyes of people who see it differently than most of us do. Both George in this book and the protagonist in the Curious Incident (I forget his name) are somewhat out of touch with what the rest of us accept as reality, and their characters are very believable. I found George personally poignant because I have suffered from depression in the past and though it wasn't to the same extent as George's, I recognised a lot of his emotions and thought processes.

The dealings of the various family members and their partners reminds us of how important communication is in relationships. A lot of the problems that occur in the story could have been avoided if the people involved had only talked about things, or expressed them properly when they did talk.

Oh, it was pretty funny too!

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to read this book! I've already passed it on to RonOren, who I think has finished it already, so it'll be moving on soon!

Journal Entry 15 by RonOren from Balham, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Sorry for taking so long to journal this; I have in fact finished this a week or so ago.

It's quite a strange book: at the same time compelling, extremely easy to read and dealing with rather difficult matter. But overall impossible to put down!
I do have to agree with DJgib that all of the problems in the story could be avoided if people would only listen to eachother (rather than to what they think the other is saying). Especially the scene in the hospital, after George tried to "cure" himself, is very funny, yet very painful with all the misunderstandings.

My faith in Mark Haddon as a great writer is unshaken ;-). Thanks for letting me read this, lilifin! I'll get it moving to Cocobarks as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 16 by RonOren from Balham, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, March 03, 2008
Cocobarks asked to be skipped, so the book is going to pulcherrima instead. Hope you enjoy this!

Journal Entry 17 by pulcherrima from Tommerup Stationsby, Fyns Amt Denmark on Thursday, March 06, 2008
Received today and I am looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 18 by pulcherrima from Tommerup Stationsby, Fyns Amt Denmark on Sunday, June 29, 2008
I finished reading the book yesterday. I enjoyed it but I was not as amused by this one as I was by The Curious Incidents of the dog in the Night Time. Maybe because the theme of a man's middleage crisis didn't appeal to me? But the desciptions of the family around him was very fascinating.

I've already got mallary's address and will visit the postoffice tomorrow so that it can be passed on. Thank you for the patience - I have been very busy with my exams for the past month.

Journal Entry 19 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Saturday, July 26, 2008
Arrived safely in France, albeit in a Post Office bag due to the packaging going missing! Looking forward to reading this, thanks!

Journal Entry 20 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Thursday, August 21, 2008
This wasn't really my cup of tea - sorry.
I tried and failed to finish it which is very unlike me!
Thanks for letting me join in the bookring, pming bookmaniac70 for her address.

Journal Entry 21 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Thursday, October 16, 2008
It`s a pleasure to welcome an already well travelled book to Sofia:-)). Thanks for sending! I`ll start reading immediately but I beg for some patience as I have a one-month old baby, so it may take a bit more time to finish the book.

Journal Entry 22 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Wednesday, October 22, 2008
I got a liking for this book from the first page. At first glance,we have an ordinary family story- a daughter who wants to marry the wrong man (or at least her parents think so), a homosexual son who has just splitted with his boyfriend, a wife who is guilty of adultery,and a husband who is going mad. George is one of the most interesting characters in the novel. Haddon has managed to convey brilliantly the sense of inner destruction, panic and obsession with the fear of dying. Like in "A curious incident...", the writer shows his skill in drawing a vivid and yet warm and human picture of the complexity of different kinds of psychological disorder- autism and depression. Definitely one of the best reads for 2008!

Journal Entry 23 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Wednesday, October 22, 2008
oofri has already acquired the book and asked to be skipped. I have to PM zosime now.

24/10- Address received,book is going to be mailed next week.

Journal Entry 24 by bookmaniac70 at Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Monday, October 27, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (10/28/2008 UTC) at Marshfield, Wisconsin USA

Sent to zosime as part of the bookring.

Journal Entry 25 by zosime from Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, November 20, 2008
Arrived in the mail today. The envelope had been torn open, but the plastic bag saved the book!

Journal Entry 26 by zosime from Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, December 11, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It was all so very human, and the characters felt like family by the end. I will definitly be on the lookout for the next book by Mr. Haddon. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 27 by zosime from Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, January 03, 2009
Geishabird and Breeze both wanted to be skipped, so I finally have this packed up and ready to travel to MmeClinton with Monday's mail. Sorry for the delay!

1/5 edit: in the mail! Yay!

Journal Entry 28 by wingMmeClintonwing from South Berwick, Maine USA on Monday, January 12, 2009
This book has arrived safely in Maine. I honestly think it has travelled more than any bookring I've participated in so far! It is starting to come apart a bit in the middle, but I will treat it gingerly and send it on its way to the next person soon. I am in the middle of a couple of books now, but certainly should be able to finish before the end of January. Will post comments before I send it off!

Journal Entry 29 by wingMmeClintonwing from South Berwick, Maine USA on Saturday, February 07, 2009
Well, I didn't quite finish it by the end of January, but not far off! Lots of people have written comments, and I don't want to repeat. So I'll just say that I ended up enjoying it a lot. It was rough in the beginning because it was hard to keep all the characters straight in my old head. It definitely got better as it went along. Someone made a comment about it being "graphic" and it wasn't particularly.... although I always get a bit irritated when you deal with a homosexual couple and feel the need to put in a couple of "graphic" sex scenes when the heteros are just mostly hinted at. It feeds the old stereotype that gay people are identified first and foremost by their sex needs/oddities/drive than anything else, when we would seldom treat non-gays this way. Just a comment... it didn't keep me from liking almost all the characters and the book itself. I won't compare it to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NIght Time simply because it is totally different. I am sending this off Monday to Livrecache in Australia to continue the bookring!

Journal Entry 30 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Monday, February 23, 2009
Apologies! I actually received this book last week some time, but Life had got in the way of journalling it. I had to deal with my elderly mother who lives in another part of the country and had broken her hip.

Anyway, I've started reading it. So far, so good. So unlike The Curious Incident. . . , but I guess he could only write that once. It suits my mood at the moment, which needs a bit of levity. Apart from family crises, the fires have started up again in Victoria, and this time much, much closer to [the outskirts of] Melbourne. Not that that makes them worse. Well, it does, as more people are potentially affected. We thought we'd seen the worst two weeks ago. So much grief, so much loss of life.

Sorry, I find myself quite devastated by what's happening. Thanks for the book. BC moments make life far more tolerable. (The book arrived bound by a rubber band, but it's not in such bad condition!)

Journal Entry 31 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Monday, March 02, 2009
I finished this yesterday. I enjoyed it, but . . . I'm not not sure it was special. Certianly not the way his first one was. Very British, and for some reason I thought of both David Lodge's and Tom Sharpe's books, which are nothing like this really, but I guess in the same way engaging, in that they talk about people's foibles and and how we all have to put up with each other, and life's rites of passage. Also the Rumpole person - how awful I can't think of the author's name and he's so recently left this mortal coil. John Mortimer, that's it.

I haven't read others' comments. I did when I got the book, but I thought I'd see what would come out if I just said what I thought.

I'll be sending it (rubber band and all) to its next reader in a day or so.

Journal Entry 32 by piemunga from Marrickville, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, March 19, 2009
i apologise! i received this about a week ago and forgot to log it. so sorry! i started reading it yesterday and so far it's great.

Journal Entry 33 by piemunga from Marrickville, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 01, 2009
LOVED this book. funny, sad and everything in between. i didn't want it to end!

Journal Entry 34 by nikkilovesbooks from Secret Harbour, Western Australia Australia on Friday, April 24, 2009
This book has now arrived in the NT. Thanks to lilifin for sharing & to Piemunga for posting it up. I'll be v careful with it & will hopefully start to read it with the next few days. Cannot wait ;-)

Journal Entry 35 by nikkilovesbooks from Secret Harbour, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Posting off to WA today. Thanks for the read. I really enjoyed it - plenty of laughs but with some disturbing bits thrown in too.

Journal Entry 36 by Carole888 from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, May 21, 2009
The book arrived two days ago ..... Thank you nikkilovesbooks for sending it here .... I will attempt to glue it together after I finish reading it. I'm enjoying it so far ..... will journal more later ..... shouldn't take long. Thank you lilifin for sharing!

Journal Entry 37 by Carole888 from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Monday, May 25, 2009
I just couldn't put this book down. The author has a special gift of presenting the world from different perspectives. I felt for poor George........ What he thought and felt was his reality and I was on his side (not that sides had to be taken, but I was on his side anyway!) all the way. This book to me was just as good as the Curious Incident ......... I also found myself thinking about the real people out there with mental illnesses .............

Thank you so much for sharing this book lilifin. I have pm'd the next reader and will send the book on as soon as I hear from her.
(addit .... The book is finally on it's way and I am hoping that it reaches it's destination, the first week in July........ Happy travelling and Happy Reading!!) Tracking No: RP001521983AU

Journal Entry 38 by Jessi626 from Otterberg, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Arrived yesterday, thanks!
Carole, also thanks for the beautiful postcard, it will look great in my collection :)

Edit August, 30th: Sorry for keeping the book so long and thanks for your patience. I'm gonna start tonight!

Journal Entry 39 by Jessi626 from Otterberg, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Sunday, September 27, 2009
Sorry, this book is not my cup of tea. I tried several times, but I can't get into it, don't know why...

Journal Entry 40 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Thursday, November 05, 2009
The book has now reached its finally destination before travelling back home. It looks well-read but is still in quite a good shape for having had so many readers... I envy the book for having seen so much of the world :)

Thanks a lot for sending and for the bookring!

Journal Entry 41 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, January 06, 2010
Ooops, I just realized that I completely forgot to make a journal entry when I finished the book... Thanks a lot for sharing this book with us, lilifin! I quite enjoyed reading it, even though after finishing it, I asked myself what the point of the story was :) - especially because I found the ending a little elusive... why this sudden change of mind?
I sent the book on its way home about two or three weeks ago, I hope it didn't get lost in the mail?

Journal Entry 42 by lilifin from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, January 07, 2010
Arrived safely at my sister's place where it will be set free eventually...