Margaret the Queen

by Nigel Tranter | History |
Registered by DA-Cameron of Ditzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 7/29/2007
Journal Entry 1 by DA-Cameron from Ditzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, July 29, 2007
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 2 by DA-Cameron from Ditzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, July 29, 2007
First, she was Margaret the refugee. A Saxon princess, sister of Edgar Atheling, who, but for William the Conqueror, would have been King of England. She came to Scotland in 1069.
Beautiful, sympathetic and devout, she was an unlikely consort to the rough and ready Malcolm King of Scots and slayer of MacBeth, a man who cared for little other than hunting, drinking and the brutal arts of war.
Yet, through her gentle strength of character and intelligence, she was to have a profound and lasting effect on her adopted nation and people that lasts to this day.

Journal Entry 3 by DA-Cameron from Ditzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Das Buch geht als Ring auf die Reise.

1. Aldawen
2. Schneefee
3. KillerPueppi
Und am Ende zurück zu mir.

Journal Entry 4 by DA-Cameron from Ditzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, August 10, 2007
Released about 2 days ago (Mittwoch, 8. August 2007 12:00:00) at BookRing in --Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben--, Baden-Württemberg Germany

Das Buch ist unterwegs zur ersten Station.

Journal Entry 5 by Torgin from Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, August 13, 2007
Heute mit seinen Kollegen aus der Packstation befreit, danke schön!

Journal Entry 6 by Torgin from Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, September 29, 2007
Well, Tranter loves long nested sentences so I had to put more effort in it as usual. Because I always needed several pages to get into this language I had to look out for considerable time frames and so was prevented from reading just two or three pages in between other activities. Apart from that I found it an easy read. At first, I had reservations how I would manage all the kinship relations but that turned out to be fairly easy. A good map of Scotland including historic names would be helpful when trying to follow the protagonists' paths.

I can't help it: I don't like Margaret. Although her advocacy for the poor and the weak gets my sympathy, she's very dogmatic when her religious believes are concerned. I always felt with Maldred in his discussions with Margaret and wished somebody would call her back resolutely, but, of course, this would be contrary to historical facts (I'd like to have a parallel universe with different outcomes! ;-) ). At least, now I feel completely informed on this dramatic time of changes in Scottish history.

Journal Entry 7 by Schneefee from Hagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, October 08, 2007
eeeek! Another Tranter showing up... seems I have to hurry up a bit ;-)

Journal Entry 8 by Schneefee from Hagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, February 10, 2008
well, the problem is that I'm quite busy with work since the beginning of the year, and it won't change till may or even june. When I come home somewhen between 20:00 and 22:00 I'm obviously not in the mood to fight myself through a Tranter (as I've seen with "Kenneth") but prefer some light entertainment.
Thanks for sharing anyway, DA-Cameron, I will definitely keep this series in mind!

I'll try to hand it over to KillerPueppi on Wednesday

Journal Entry 9 by KillerPueppi from Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, February 14, 2008
Schneefee succeded in handing over the book to me ;)

Released 11 yrs ago (11/10/2008 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Well, it's done...I've finished reading the book. I really liked it, although I found it a bit difficult to fowllow the descriptions of kinship and army movements (here a small map would have helped really ;) ). Now the book is on it's way home.

Thanks for sharing the book!

Journal Entry 11 by DA-Cameron from Ditzingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, November 22, 2008
The book is home again. :-) Thanks...