In the Company of the Courtesan

by Sarah Dunant | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Pell of Canino, Lazio Italy on 7/3/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, July 03, 2007
I so enjoyed reading this story, I never read much during the day but found that I couldnt stop reading this one until I had finished it, loved Sarah Dunants imaginative ability of being able to portray historical facts with an enjoyable story,too.

With their stomachs churning on the jewels they have swallowed, the courtesan Fiammetta and her dwarf companion Bucino escape from Rome and and head for the shimmering, decadent city of Venice. Sarah Dunant's epic novel of 16th century Renaissance Italy is a story about the sins of pleasure and the pleasurs of sin, an intoxicating mix of fact and fiction and a dazzling portrait of one of the worlds greatest cities.

Journal Entry 2 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Friday, July 13, 2007
I am doing a direct swop with Iwanttobeinitaly,posted today to Calabria Italy July 13th 2007

Journal Entry 3 by iwanttobeinital from Belvedere Marittimo, Calabria Italy on Saturday, July 14, 2007
Arrived this morning! Well done, Poste Italia 8-))
Will be reading this during my journey back to the UK for my summer holiday.

Journal Entry 4 by iwanttobeinital from Belvedere Marittimo, Calabria Italy on Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Absolutely loved this book.
Wonderfully drawn characters that I immediately warmed to and fascinating insight into Renaissance Venice.
My hubby also has read it (on my recommendation) and was similarly impressed.
Have contacted lindyloumac to ask if she'd like it next.

Journal Entry 5 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 05, 2007
Thankyou so much for this RABCK which arrived today. What a fantastic postal service we have in Italia! This was only posted yesterday!! Approve of the re-cycled postal bag as well, which will certainly be used again.

Journal Entry 6 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, December 02, 2007
A compelling historical novel weaved around the sins of pleasure and the pleasure of sins! Set in 16C Italy the main characters are Fiammetta Bianchini, a Courtesan and her dwarf manservant Bucino Teodoldi. The story narrated by Bucino starts with them having to flee from their home in Rome after the city comes under siege. Fiammetta was originally from Venice, so it here that they decide to take refuge and rebuild their business. Together they make a good team, Fiammetta knows of no other life than the entertainment of gentleman, whilst Bucino takes care of the business side of things. To recover from the ravages suffered in Rome to Fiammetta’s health and beauty it is necessary for them to call on the services of La Draga. La Draga, Elena Crusichi was a healer, though in those times such a person was often considered a witch.
It was fascinating to read about 16C Italy, with some wonderful descriptions especially of Venice and the various personalities that Fiammetta and Bucino come into contact with. La Draga becomes predictably a very important contact, gaining sympathy from Fiammetta she wheedles her way into their life.
The author has successfully blended fact and fiction with her passion for this particular period of history to tell a story that has some surprise twists along the way. I did guess the outcome, ending but personally felt it was a successful way of bringing the novel to a close.

Thanks so much for passing this on to me iwanttobeinital. Like yours my husband also read and enjoyed. A novel he would never have even attempted before Bookcrossing!
I will be recommending this to a friend or if she is not interested planning a wild release somewhere!

Journal Entry 7 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, December 02, 2007
Whoops! You got to a computer before I made release notes for this book. Thank you for picking it up, it would be appreciated if you make a note here of where you found it.
Hi! And welcome to Book Crossing!
If you found this book and are not familiar with Book Crossing, thanks for checking the site out. Welcome! Enjoy both the book and the site.
People all over the world are tracking their books through Book Crossing.
I really hope you'll journal this book! You can stay anonymous. You can journal the book right now! You don’t have to read it first. Ideally, you will post a journal now saying that you’ve found this particular book, then read (and hopefully enjoy) the book. When you’re done reading, come back here and let us know when and where you will pass the book on to another reader. Give a review if you’d like. If you journal it, you can come back anytime to track its journey.
If you decide to join – and it’s FREE- please consider using me, LindyLouMac, as the member who referred you. If you are already familiar with Book Crossing, thanks for picking up the book.
Either way, I hope you'll make a journal entry so all previous and future readers can track this book's journey. Happy reading and Happy Book Crossing!

Journal Entry 8 by Suffolk-Barnowl from Eye, Suffolk United Kingdom on Thursday, December 13, 2007
Lindyloumac passed this to me recently

Journal Entry 9 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Friday, February 29, 2008
Thank you so much Suffolk barnowl, for returning this book to me, I will forward it to my friend today and hope that she too joins Bookcrossing.