The Memory Keeper's Daughter

by Kim Edwards | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by bearyfriend of Singapore, Singapore Singapore on 7/1/2007
Journal Entry 1 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Sunday, July 01, 2007
Story about a pair of twins, one born perfectly healthy, and another with down-syndrome, resulting in the father's disapproval and his split-second decision in putting the baby away in an institution that will haunt all their lives forever. He asks his nurse to put the baby away in an institute, but she disappears into another city, raising the child as her own.

Journal Entry 2 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Wednesday, July 11, 2007
A lot of grief and regret in this book. Though out of love for his wife & good intentions to protect her from the pain of having a handicapped child, the doctor make a split-second decision in telling her the child is born dead. Because of this lie, life turns out different, grief & sorrow lingers and the secret is being revealed only 25 year later. A wonderful read, though a bit long-winded. Will release into the wild with an alert note.

Journal Entry 3 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Thursday, August 16, 2007
INT'L BOOKRAY

1. Post in the forum to join.
2. Able to mail internationally will be best, otherwise let me know what your preference is.
3. Make a JE when you receive the book
4. Read it within a month, no longer.
5. Make a JE saying what you thought of the book.
6. PM the person next on the list for their address, and send the book on its way to the next reader.

Participants:
teuffi - UK (able to ship int'l)
followdream - USA till end-Oct (can ship anywhere)
onniManni - Finland (can ship anywhere)
meexia - SGP (local mailing preferred)
toyjoy - SGP (able to ship int'l)
taniazed - Australia (Australia preferred, but will send int'l if required)
--- Ray ends here ---

Journal Entry 4 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Sunday, August 19, 2007
Book is on its journey to the first reader, Teuffi, via Airmail. Enjoy reading =D

Journal Entry 5 by teuffi from Great Bookham, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, August 25, 2007
The factor rang at my door as I was about to get my Saturday coffee shop treat and gave me a lovely packet with this book in it... Obviously had to take it with me! (the Street Lawyer will have to wait a bit!)

Thanks very much bearyfriend for sharing this book and for the lovely card!

Journal Entry 6 by teuffi from Great Bookham, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, September 01, 2007
What an amazing book! Absolutely loved it! A story that leaves you very frustrated at times but anyone starting reading this book had better make sure they have some free time as it is very difficult to put it down!

The book will be on its way to the USA as soon as I have followdream's address.

Thanks very much bearyfriend for sharing this wonderful book!

Journal Entry 7 by teuffi from Great Bookham, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, September 08, 2007
Apologies, sent the book two days ago only, was a bit too buusy at work! Thanks again bearyfriend!

Journal Entry 8 by followdream on Tuesday, September 11, 2007
It was in my mailbox today, well wrapped up, safely arrived - and I immdiately started to read the first pages. I'm sure it will be good.

Thank you teuffi for sending it and for the lovely card from Mozarts grave in Vienna. I have been there several years ago and remember the statue.

Journal Entry 9 by followdream on Monday, September 17, 2007
I agree, what a wonderful book and I couldn't put it down either. Sometimes very sad yet also hopeful and comforting. The characters are profoundly drawn. You feel with them, sometimes you get angry about them and wish they made different decisions but then again you understand very much how they feel and what made them choose the way they do. A lot of wisdom and insight in life. How it often turns out differently than what we dream and wish, but still can be good.

I'll send it on to onniManni as soon as I have the address

thank you bearyfriend for organising this bookray!

Journal Entry 10 by followdream on Tuesday, September 25, 2007
it's on its way to OnniManni, Finland - travel safely dear book!

Journal Entry 11 by myrtillus from Pori, Satakunta Finland on Monday, October 01, 2007
I found The Memory Keepers Daughter in my mailbox today. So it has arrived safely to Pori, Finland. Seems interesting. Thanks bearyfriend and followdream! I try to read it as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 12 by myrtillus from Pori, Satakunta Finland on Sunday, October 14, 2007
Kim Edwards writes beautifully. It’s a pleasure to read her text.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter is a story about a secret--a terrible, life-altering secret running central to the story and in the lives of the characters. David – The Memory Keeper – cannot escape his past; the dead of his sister and the poverty of his childhood. He makes a choice that shall affect on not only his life but others’ too. He gives away his daughter, because she has Down syndrome. He lies that she is dead. The lie and the guilt grows between him and Norah as an invisible wall.

This is a book that stays with you long after you’ve finished reading the last page. Thanks bearyfriend for letting me read this book!

I'll send the book to meexia.

Journal Entry 13 by myrtillus from Pori, Satakunta Finland on Monday, October 15, 2007
The book is on its way to meexia, SGP. :)

Journal Entry 14 by meexia from City of London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, October 22, 2007
Got this book today. Finally! I purposely didn't start any new book because I wanted to read this one as soon as I got it. Thanks for the pretty postcard onniManni, and bearyfriend for starting the ray :)

Journal Entry 15 by meexia from City of London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, November 05, 2007
I didn't like the book. In fact, I hated it :(

Finished it a few days ago and will send it to toyjoy tomorrow.

I have my complete rant here. Warning, it's a rant. So if you like the book, you may not want me to spoil it :)

sent to toyjoy (Singapore) on 6 Nov

Journal Entry 16 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Received a pm from Meexia about having sent the book to toyjoy on the 6th Nov, wonder have it reach its destination? Hope it's not lost in local mailing, shouldn't have taken so long. Let's first wait a few more days and see whether it turns up. Since book is already out, I am setting status to travelling.

Journal Entry 17 by toyjoy on Tuesday, December 04, 2007
Apologies for the delay in journaling the book. Was really busy, took a long time to journal it.

Journal Entry 18 by toyjoy on Sunday, January 06, 2008
I felt like a third person going through the lives of Henry, Norah, Paul, Caroline and Phoebe. I was hoping that Henry would actually revealed the truth of Phoebe instead of Norah discovering the letters and photos. It was kind of a typical setting. I rather the person faces up the truth, so there will not be so much differences in their lives. PMing to taniazed for her address.

Journal Entry 19 by toyjoy on Monday, January 07, 2008
Now travelling back to Bearyfriend, she will pass on to her friend. I would like to add on, I do agree with Meexia on the main character Henry was 'killed' too abruptly and it was rather lengthy as a overall, couldn't wait to end the book sooner!

Journal Entry 20 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Tuesday, January 08, 2008
Book is back to me. Taniazed is unable to read the book at this period of time, therefore she requests to be skipped. So now am passing to a friend.

Thanks to all who participated in my 1st ray/ring, and toyjoy for sending back the book. Received with thanks.