The Meaning of Liff

Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 7/1/2007
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2007
This was on my wish-list, co-written/compiled(?) by the incomparable Douglas Adams...found in a charity shop in Brighton.

And good fun it was too; putting to good use all the thousands of spare words that litter the world, 'loafing about on signposts pointing at places' :)

A couple of illustrations, more or less as daft as the rest;

Hove (Brighton!)
Description of the expression seen on the face of one person in the presence of another who clearly isn't going to stop talking for a very long time.

Wembley (near where I was born)
The hideous moment of confirmation that the disaster presaged in the ely has actually struck.

Ely (near where I work)
The first, tiniest inkling that you get that something, somewhere has gone terribly wrong.

Bealings (near where I live)
The unsavoury parts of a moat which a knight has to pour out of his armour after being the victim of an araglin*

*get the book!

Journal Entry 2 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, July 23, 2007
I've always wanted to spend time with this one - thanks, BGM!

Journal Entry 3 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 08, 2007
A satirical dictionary assigning novel, yet fitting, meanings to unusual placenames. The meanings all describe familiar feelings and notions that have not been labelled previously, and many are laugh-out-loud quality. I'd give examples, but I'd have to list more than half of this small volume, so I suspect it would be breaching copyright.