The Bandit of Hell's Bend

Registered by kestralwing of Bellingham, Washington USA on 2/12/2003
Journal Entry 1 by kestralwing from Bellingham, Washington USA on Wednesday, February 12, 2003
Burroughs only wrote four Westerns, and this was the first, written in 1925. This edition was reprinted in 1979, with an introduction by Robert Morsberger.

This is a hardback edition, a withdrawn library copy, so kind of beat up (and stamped "Whatcom County Library" all over it) but still sound. Great picture of a cowboy with a REAL 10 gallon hat on the cover.

Journal Entry 2 by kestralwing at Controlled Release in Bellingham, Washington USA on Wednesday, February 12, 2003
Released on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 at Given to a fellow BCer in Bellingham, Washington USA.

Journal Entry 3 by KML from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Monday, March 03, 2003
I've just gotten this one (thank you, kestralwing!), and look forward to reading it, since I'm a big fan of ERB's fantasy.

Journal Entry 4 by KML from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, June 16, 2004
Because I enjoyed ERB's 'Mars' series so much, I was curious about his work in another genre. Unfortunately, I've picked this book up, and put it back down again, on many occasions, and have never cared enough to actually finish the book (though I did appreciate the opportunity to give it a try! As I don't usually read Westerns, perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised.). So I'm going to give this book a chance to find a reader who'll appreciate it more ...

Journal Entry 5 by KML from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Saturday, November 06, 2004
I'm *finally* moving this book along! It stayed with me too long, and became far too attached to the friends it made in Mt. TBR ...

Now it's heading off as a RABCK to jennannej sometime in the week of 11/08/04. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Thursday, November 18, 2004
This is another book I will be happy to read. I just picked up some martian tales written by Burroughs (an old beat up paperback I couldn't resist), so now I've got two of his different genres to explore. Thanks for the RABCK!

Journal Entry 7 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Tuesday, December 07, 2004
I really enjoyed this book. It was fun and kept me hooked. In a way, your typical western with cowboys, gunmen, Indians, Mexicans, a girl, a bandit, a crooked sheriff, a love triangle (or hexagon)...

I enjoyed the plot. As I said, I was hooked. The book kept me up late one night finishing it. A fun western if you can get into the characters' speech, a kind of written cowboy dialect that takes some work to discipher until you get used to reading it. "I was calc'latin' to go" "I reck'n I'd be goin'..." A WARNING: some of the characters use non-PC (derogatory) racial names.

Released on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 at about 7:00:00 PM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at N/A in to a fellow bookcrosser, Bookcrossing Meetup Controlled Releases.

Finished it yesterday so that I could bring it tonight for my first Lincoln meet-up.

Journal Entry 9 by notbob from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Friday, December 10, 2004
I picked this up at the meetup on Tuesday... this could be a fun book. :)

Journal Entry 10 by notbob at Village Inn, Ft. Crook Rd. in Bellevue, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Released 15 yrs ago (1/17/2006 UTC) at Village Inn, Ft. Crook Rd. in Bellevue, Nebraska USA

I'm invoking the one-year-unread-book rule and taking this off my TBR shelf.

I left this book at the restaurant after tonight's meetup.