A Break with Charity

by Ann Rinaldi | History |
ISBN: 043981071x Global Overview for this book
Registered by lovemylife of Campbellsport, Wisconsin USA on 6/27/2007
Journal Entry 1 by lovemylife from Campbellsport, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, June 27, 2007
This book is on its way to Ace.

Journal Entry 2 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Thursday, August 09, 2007
What luck! I''ll be seeing Ace and Hoser this weekend so I''ll pass this book to its new owner then.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 12, 2007
received this from Lovemylife through Morsecode. Thanks so much for the RABCK

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 03, 2010
Susanna English sees a group of girls meeting at the pastor's house and desperately wishes she were included. The year is 1691 and the place is Salem. Mass. Susanna lives in the Puritan colony where there is little fun and life is arduous, tedious and boring. The group of girls continues to grow but Susanna is still not included.

The pastor's slave is from the Caribbean and the girls have been listening to her stories when their parents are not around. The girls start to have 'fits' and carry on and tell the village folk it is the fault of witches. Therein starts The Salem Witch Trials.

Susanna figures out that this is all a hoax and her family is threatened if she breaks charity (tells) with the girls. Of course, anyone who has done harm to these girls or their families or is different is named as a witch. Eventually Susanna's own family is named.

I found this story to be truly interesting, especially how an action can get so out of control. I did not know about the Witch Trials and truly wonder how so many people could have been taken in. Susanna is not a particularly likable character as she is such a wimp even to the extent of causing her own family grief.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Reading now!

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 19, 2010
The year is 1691 and Susanna is an outcast because her family is richer than most of the rest of Salem, MA. She wants to join a group of girls that meet at the Reverand's house but knows that they won't accept her. A neighbour tells her that there is suspicious activity going on in the house, including the slave reading palms to tell the future. Since Susanna's brother is lost at sea, she asks the slave Tituba to read her palm and finds out that she will see her brother again.

Shortly after this, the group of girls start acting afflicted by convulsing and wrestling with invisible people. They claim that witches have put curses on them and start naming names. So starts the Salem Witch Trials. Susanna knows that these girls are just acting to get attention but she was they threatened to name her family if she told anyone. In the end, as we know from history, nineteen people died before the witch hunt came to an end.

This isn't the best written book, and the story isn't the most captivating, but it really gives you an idea of how quickly things can spiral out of control. This book is meant for a younger audience but I'm sure there's better literature out there for young teens to read.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 22, 2010
This book is back with me

Journal Entry 8 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 29, 2010
mailed today to my birthday partner. Happy Birthday!

Journal Entry 9 by nikel27 at Ginsheim-Gustavsburg, Hessen Germany on Monday, January 31, 2011
arrived safe for my Birthday, thanks for sending me this Wishlist book and all the extra stuff in my birthday parcel.

Journal Entry 10 by nikel27 at -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Friday, September 14, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (9/14/2018 UTC) at -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany

Off to a friend of mine - Enjoy and if possible make a journal entry