Skip Macalester

by J. E. Robinson | Gay & Lesbian |
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on 6/23/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 23, 2007
I took this book from work; Harrington Park Press sometimes sends us advanced reader copies, though we don't usually do reviews in our magazine.

Privileged, precocious, and not yet 16, Skip Macalester is discovering secrets and surprises about practically everyone he knows...

I thought I would love this book, but I really didn't. Skip is a very well-to-do young black kid, who seems acutely aware of everything around him- which is really great. This line jumped out at me as especially perfect: "For you, mean streets're anyplace that won't give you back your library card." Skip is an interesting, likable character, and it was enjoyable to get into his world where friends, family, teachers, and clergymen all have secrets that are unraveling in front of him.

However, it just didn't pull me in or capture my attention like I'd expected it to. If not for the fact that I never give up on a book, I probably would have stopped reading. It took a long time for anything exciting to happen- and there WERE a good number of exciting moments to be had by the end. And Skip's fascinating with feet/legs, food (like most young men, he's always eating), as well as pointing out smells all the time got old pretty quickly. It was as though the author had a checklist of senses he wanted to be sure to include when writing. And perhaps because I read it over a span of months (or maybe because his family's a large one), I had a tough time keeping some of his family members straight for a page or so each time I picked up the book.

In the end, I liked it; I just didn't love it. Certainly not a black, gay Holden Caufield, as the back cover promised... but certainly a neat, realistic character.

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Thursday, August 02, 2007
Adding to the GLBT Bookbox to find a new home. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Thursday, September 13, 2007
Thanks!