The Other Side of the Bridge

by Mary Lawson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by beckydore of Torpoint, Cornwall United Kingdom on 2/16/2008
Journal Entry 1 by beckydore from Torpoint, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, February 16, 2008
I have seen this on another bookcrossers wishlist.. and it is her birthday coming up.

Nice descriptive writing.

"Arthur and Jake: brothers, yet worlds apart. Arthur is older, shy, dutiful, and set to inherit his father's farm. Jake is younger and reckless, a dangerous man to know. When Laura arrives in their 1930s rural community, an already uneasy relationship is driven to breaking point..."

Passing as a birthday RABCK.

Journal Entry 3 by Safrolistics from Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Thankyou very much, received with some yummy looking chocolate, salad leaf seeds, and personalised bookcrossing labels.
Another book for my Mt TBR!

Journal Entry 4 by Safrolistics from Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Monday, March 02, 2009
Well it only took me a year to get round to reading this! Ha Ha.

Really good book, thanks for sharing. Just need to find someone to pass it onto now!

Update.....

kayjay33.............Canada......Canada/US
AceofHearts..........Canada......prefers outside Canada
acountkel............USA.........US/Canada
kiptrix..............USA.........Anywhere
indygo88.............USA........prefers USA, but could post out.
valpete..............USA........USA prefered.... towards end
GinnyRazo............USA

Released 10 yrs ago (3/27/2009 UTC) at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Being posted as part of a bookray

Journal Entry 6 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Arrived today, thanks for sending it!
I am halfway through The Dress Lodger so as soon as I finish I will start this.

Journal Entry 7 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Monday, April 20, 2009
I read this in one sitting because I've been poorly.
It was fantastic.
Arthur was such a kind, gentle person but with fire in his soul, you couldn't help but like him.
Equally, you can't help but hate his brother Jake who I tried hard to feel sorry for but failed. Unbelievable how much he managed to make Arthur suffer throughout his life, I really wanted to shake some sense into their mother but it would have been pointless, she was completely blinkered.
The most poignant part of this book were the references to the young Canadians fighting in the Second World War and the high number of casualties they suffered on our behalf, in a war that was so far from home but they joined up unquestioningly. I was quite moved by that and saddened when so many of them failed to make it home.
Thanks for sharing this with me, I am now pming Tarna for her address.

Journal Entry 8 by Mallary at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 07, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/7/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sorry for the delay.
Now on it's way to Tarna in Finland.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingTarnawing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, May 13, 2009
The book arrived today. Thank you! I’m really looking forward to reading it; I just have to finish another book first. I enjoyed Crow Lake by Mary Lawson, so I think I’ll like this one too.
Thanks also for the postcard, Mallary. It took me right away to Southern Europe; the blue in the picture is something you don’t often see here in Finland. I’ve never been to Southern France but I sure would like to visit Septèmes-les-Vallons and other towns in the area someday.

Journal Entry 10 by wingTarnawing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, June 28, 2009
I can’t tell you how sorry I am for keeping this book so long. My life has been pretty hectic lately, and for some reason I haven’t been able to concentrate on my reading and read only one chapter (or less) at a time. I should have informed you about this earlier, though.
Finally finished the book today. Mary Lawson really knows how to tell a story. Most of the characters were delightful. Being Finn (synonym for non-talkative ;-)), I truly empathized Arthur and his father. Jake, on the other hand—well, I kind of share Mallary’s feelings but, admittedly, it wasn’t easy for him either. I mean, he did try to get his father’s approval and kept failing all the time. Can’t help feeling sorry for him because of that. (I guess I must blame his mother for cosseting him. Laura may have been the same with Carter. Adding Ian’s mother—and maybe airheaded Cathy too—to this, I must say the female image in this novel isn’t pleasant at all.)
Anyway, I enjoyed The Other Side of the Bridge very much even if the storyline was somewhat too predictable to my taste. To sum it up, I really had a good reading experience. Thanks for sharing, safrolistics!

I’ve got spiderchic’s address and will mail the book tomorrow. This will thus be my #31 KTMC book this year.

Mary Lawson at Random House site
Mary Lawson at Wikipedia

Journal Entry 11 by wingTarnawing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, June 29, 2009
Put the book in the mail today and it should be on its way to spiderchic now. The estimated travelling time is 3 - 6 working days.
I hope you'll enjoy The Other Side of the Bridge, spiderchic. :)

2009 KTMC #31.

Journal Entry 12 by spiderchic from Droylsden, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, July 03, 2009
Received this week thank you! Am going to start reading it today!

Journal Entry 13 by spiderchic from Droylsden, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Saturday, July 18, 2009
I finished reading this book this week. A delightful read, very enjoyable and a little sad in places as well.
Will pm scotsbookie for their address - thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 14 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, July 25, 2009
Was here waiting for me after a few days away, thank you.

Journal Entry 15 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, September 18, 2009
OK, I'm very sorry first of all for keeping the book for so long. It got lost in a pile of books for journalling & I only found it today.

I remember enjoying this book very much. Arthur was such a kind & gentle soul, I couldn't help liking him. As for Jake I could cheerfully boxed his ears!!!

Just off to PM kayjay33.

Journal Entry 16 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 25, 2010
received in the mail

Journal Entry 17 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 14, 2010
This is a Canadian story about two very different brothers in a rural Northern Ontario town. Arthur, the eldest brother, is shy, retiring, loyal and dutiful. His father approves of him and sets him up to inherit the farm. Jake is outgoing, egotistical and self-absorbed. His mother thinks he can do no wrong and makes Arthur protect him even when it goes against Arthur's best interests. So is set an antagonistic relationship.

When Laura comes to town with her father the preacher during WWII, each brother falls in love with her.

This story is told in the past (WWII era) and the present. In the present the doctor's son, Ian is smitten by Laura and goes to help out on the farm where once again Arthur and Jake are forced to face each other.

This is a well-written story with a somewhat predictable ending. However, predictable or not the reader is drawn in and engrossed in the details of the small framing community and the lives of the Dunn brothers.

Journal Entry 18 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 25, 2010
mailed today to Acountkel

Journal Entry 19 by acountkel at Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Saturday, May 29, 2010
Received today!
Thank you for including me in this ring!
Looking forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 20 by acountkel at Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Sunday, June 13, 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The author alternated between WWII timeframe and the middle 60’s. Arthur and Jake are brothers and live on a farm in a small town in Northern Ontario Canada. Jake is the apple of his mother’s eye, light build, charming, smart, good looking, a people person and can get all the girls. Arthur is solid, quiet, not a good student but loves to work the farm with his father. Sibling rivalry is the main theme of this part of the story. Enter Ian. Ian is the son of the local doctor. He is infatuated with Arthur’s wife, Laura and pursues a weekend job with Arthur on their farm just to look at her. Lawson is a master of depicting the characters so well, you almost feel like you know them. I was drawn in and when this happens, I hang on every word. I love the exchange at the end between Ian and his friend Pete. It is a turning point. Another thing that really stood out for me was the way the author wrapped everything up and linked the two stories at the end. Total closure and I was satisfied. I am going to put Lawson’s other book on my wish list. She is exceptional.

Thank you so much for asking me to join this ring.
This was an awesome book and I'm so glad I had the opportunity to read it.
I have the next person's address. I will send out as soon as I can!

Journal Entry 21 by acountkel at Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thank you so much for asking me to join this ring.
This was an awesome book and I'm so glad I had the opportunity to read it.
I have the next person's address. I will send out as soon as I can!

Journal Entry 22 by kiptrix at Summerville, South Carolina USA on Friday, June 18, 2010
I've received this book ring in the mail. Will add more later. Thanks very much.

Journal Entry 23 by kiptrix at Summerville, South Carolina USA on Friday, August 06, 2010
I enjoyed this novel. Interesting story line and characters.

The next person listed in the ray has already read it, so it will be going to California. Thanks for the ray, sorry it took me a while to get it out.

Journal Entry 24 by kiptrix at Summerville, South Carolina USA on Friday, August 06, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (8/6/2010 UTC) at Summerville, South Carolina USA

I actually mailed this out yesterday (Aug. 5, 2010) to valpete in California.

Journal Entry 25 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Tuesday, August 10, 2010
I received this in the mail today. I do have a few before it, so will get to it ASAP.

Journal Entry 26 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Sunday, October 10, 2010
There are two parallel storylines interweaving throughout this novel, one with a young Arthur who deals with an irresponsible younger brother, the responsibilities of the family farm, and an unrequited teen love. The second story line focuses on Arthur as an adult, now married to the young woman who had so tormented him. Both story lines build to crucial climaxes, both involving the triangular relationships between Arthur, wife Laura, and younger brother Jake. Although a thoroughly enjoyable read, I found the writing to be predictable and tedious at times.

I'll be sending this along to the next BCer on the Ray list.

Journal Entry 27 by GinnyRazo at Truckee, California USA on Monday, October 25, 2010
I received this book from my mother valpete. She spoke highly of it. I look forward to reading it.
Ginny