Magic Time

by Marc Zicree, Barbara Hambly | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wyvernfriend of Lucan, Co. Dublin Ireland on 6/21/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wyvernfriend from Lucan, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, June 21, 2007
A story of science stopping to work and magic returning to the world, but is it and how did it happen?

Interesting but somehow lacking. The characters didn't really come alive for me.

Journal Entry 2 by wyvernfriend at The Long Stone Pub (OBCZ) in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (4/15/2008 UTC) at The Long Stone Pub (OBCZ) in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Journal Entry 3 by wingdelfinnettiwing from Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, April 23, 2008
This one lay on the "tabel of temptation" also called book buffet of the London Bookcrossing Convention ;-). I swore not to take books home. At least only very few... but THAT TABLE ... screwed up my plans. I just can´t resist any Barbara Hambly books! I love her vampires and the Darwath triology! So I HAD to take this one! Thank you for bringing the book.

Journal Entry 4 by wingdelfinnettiwing at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, June 13, 2010
Waaaaah. I read and read and read and then I read "If you enjoyed reading "Magic Time", then read the next installment". It´s sunday! And even if my bookshop was open it would not have the sequel there! Argh! I had not thought this would be the start of a series. I thought this was a stand alone book! Now I will have to wait...

Well aside from that it was a quite suspencefull book, even so the start was slow and confusing due to a horde of people and no idea if I had to keep track of them (yes most of them are importend - try to remember everybody).
If I was to compare this book with any other I´d pick "The Stand" by Stephen King (and thats high praise in my book!).
This is a post apocalyptic fantasy book. The end of the world is brought about by scientists, pushing a button (figuativly speaking) without knowing what will be the effect. There is not all that much explanation about "the source" and their experiments with it... This book mostly features what happens after. All things tecnical fail. Everything run by electricity. Everything powered by gasoling. Even gunpowder... On the other hand some people develop special powers and/or change physically.
I like the book and now I will have to get the sequell...
About 10 minutes later I have browsed the internet and bought the book on ebay (in America - even taking shipping costs into account that was the cheapest way to get the book. Lets see how long it takes to ship...) I even shortly considered bying the audio-book on audiable, but since I have problems with my mp3-player and audiable that option was disregarded. If I had a ebook reader I could have continued reading right away... mhm should I? For future cases like this, I mean. Up till now I refrained from bying an ebook-reader... Well for now I had best go looking for the third installment as well...

Journal Entry 5 by wingdelfinnettiwing at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, June 22, 2010
By now I have both the second installment (Angelfire) and the third installment (Ghostlands) - astonishing how fast they ship books from America if you are prepaired to pay for Air freight. I´m on page 100 of Angelfire :-)

This book is now travelling as a ring!

Participants:
1. Bigbooklover-IBG
2. Pebbletool
3. tiger-kuh-katze? (ask again bevor sending the book! she will decide upon the JE of the readers bevor her)
?

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooklover-IGBwing at Sankt Ingbert, Saarland Germany on Tuesday, July 13, 2010
The book arrived here safe and sound. Thanks for this little ring and I promise that I will start reading soon.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooklover-IGBwing at Sankt Ingbert, Saarland Germany on Tuesday, July 20, 2010
The idea of the story seemed to be very interesting but somehow I cannot find my way into the book. Unfortunately it's just not my cup of tea :-(

Journal Entry 8 by wingBooklover-IGBwing at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 22, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (7/22/2010 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The book will travel to the next reader.

Journal Entry 9 by Pebbletool at on Friday, July 30, 2010
Got this book tonight from my Packstation. I was quite surprised about the little time it took since i signed up for it, so it has to wait a little, because I have got two other rings here, sorry!

Tried to get into it twice but apparently it wasn't the right book at the right time for me... so it will travel on unread by me.

31.08.2014: Oh dear... after checking my virtual Bookcrossingshelf I realized that there are some books I just didn't remember at all and that obviously found their way out of my RL-BC-shelf to other parts of my flat so I absolutely forgot about them. I am very, very sorry! I will send them on their way as soon as possible.
Sorry!!! :/

Journal Entry 10 by tiger-kuh-katze at Hannover, Niedersachsen Germany on Monday, September 22, 2014
book arrived end of last week, but since i got no internet at home...

anyway: this way, i had (a little) free time on sunday to start...
almost 120 pages "foreplay"/ until "it" finally happens/ really starts with the interesting idea of what would happen if suddenly our modern conviniences like electriticty or cars would stop working...

am in serious danger of not doing any work that urgently needs doing because i am so very curious what will happen next...
but since that happened already on friday (finishing "overloaD" by a hailey which- incidently- is about electricity failing- written 30 years ago and some of wht it predicts frighteningly still looming ahaed)
i am looking forward to the rest of the wek for the remaining 2/3s of this book!

dearest delfinetti, will you please send me a pm where to send the book when finished?

Journal Entry 11 by tiger-kuh-katze at Hannover, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, October 01, 2014
to be honest, i am still undecided.

the story is fascinating,
but i have an aversion against books that make you _need_ further books to know how the story ends..
in my opinion, each part of a trilogy should be able to stand alone, but it is more fun to read all three.

here, i feel a bit cheated because this is so clearly only the beginning, and the "main" part has yet to come..
if it said on the cover "first part of a thrilling story in 3 parts" i'd have been forewarned...

i'd like to know how the "heroes and heroines" get on..
(where has tina disappeared to, how and when will she reappaer/ be re-united whith her brother?)
but i am wondering if there will be a real ending at all
or if somebody is trying to sell an endless roll of books,,,?

book is waiting for reply from delfinetti regarding a potential travel companion...

Journal Entry 12 by tiger-kuh-katze at Hannover, Niedersachsen Germany on Friday, September 01, 2017
update:
my life and myself broke down completely..
i felt guilty about that package of books to send on..but didnt/ couldn't get around to it.

feel more guilt since its been more than a year..
the next 2 months will be hell-
moving from Hanover to near st wendel, saarland
jobcenter knows since 30. June, last week they told my new boss and me
sorry we cant get ready till 1 September as was planned,
we dont know if 15 sept or 1 okt...

i am hanging in suspense but got to organise my move in spite of all that bullsh..!

need all the help i can get -and have very little
partly my fault, breakdown meant lost nearly all contacts..

anybody willing to help phone me or mail me directly at my gmx addres-
ask ekorren...

AND please tell me where these books should go to now.