Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return (SqueakyChu's Bookray)

by Marjane Satrapi | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 6/18/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, June 18, 2007
I got this books through Bookins from Lodi, California. I loved Volume 1 of this series. I'm now registering this book (Volume 2) in honor of BC's Race to Four Million.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, August 04, 2007
I'm ready to start reading this book today. Since I have another Satrapi book traveling as a bookray, I thought I'd also start this one traveling as an international bookray when I finish reading it...

Begin International Bookray (08/04/07):
ankevd3s (Netherlands) done
ana-b (Netherlands) done
Erishkigal (Utah, USA)
End International Bookray (06/24/10):

The bookray was ended when the book arrived in Utah as there were no more BookCrossers that I could find who wanted to participate in this bookray. The book travelled for a little less than three years and had 23 stops in eleven countries including six US states. Thanks, all, for your participation!

If you enjoyed this book, you may also want to sign up for the Embroideries bookray.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 07, 2007
This is a very brave book in which the author is not afraid to speak up about her personal life and beliefs. I would think that it's very hard to live in a culture with very little freedom of choice. Yet Marjane seems to be able to comfortably find a midpoint in straddling the worlds of Western thought and Islamic-ruled Iran. I see from her time in Austria that just living in freedom was not enough for her. She realized that she was missing the closeness of her family. Marjane is very lucky to have two such liberal and loving parents always ready to receive her back at home.

I especially liked the scene in art school where the models were all women in chadors!!! :-D That cracked me up.

Enjoy the book, everyone. It's now in the mail to spuddossis in New Jersey!

Journal Entry 4 by spuddossis from Garfield, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Received in yesterday's mail but got home too late to make this entry. Have already started it & I'm enjoying it.
Will be PMing Karen Zero for her addy. Will be able to get this out to her in a day or so. Thanks SqueakyChu for the lovely bookmark and for inviting me into your ray!
This was mailed yesterday, Aug. 16th, to KarenZero. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by KarenZero from Maplewood, New Jersey USA on Thursday, August 23, 2007
Received safely! Will read ASAP. Thanks for the postcard, Spuddossis!

Journal Entry 6 by KarenZero from Maplewood, New Jersey USA on Friday, September 28, 2007
I enjoyed it, even more than the first book actually. The first book is a great lesson about the changes in Iran from during the Shah to the Revolution and how it affected the younger population who was much more Westernized than their parents. The second book deals more with the effect on Satrapi as a person, as she grew into an adult. That more personal look at her was very interesting.

BTW, sorry for holding it up! I've been swamped with looking for a new job.

Anyway, thanks for sharing it SqueakyChu! I mailed it off at the Post Office yesterday.

Journal Entry 7 by cisco from El Granada, California USA on Monday, October 01, 2007

Received this today - It looks familiar - I may already have read this sequel last year?
I'll let you know soon. :)

I DID read this in January. It's a great read!

IM'd the ldpaulson for mailing information and will send this little gem on its way.

10/21/07 update - ldpaulson hasn't responded to either of 2 PMs - will contact azuki next .

Journal Entry 8 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, November 03, 2007
Yay book is here! Somehow the bookrings have arrived en masse and I don't have much reading time lately but this one shouldn't take long to read. It looks interesting.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, November 24, 2007
This is a wonderful book, told in very candid, charming and witty manner. While drawn only in black and white, their effective use and stylish paneling makes for a smooth, mood-evoking story-telling. My friend told me that Persepolis will be made into an animation movie, and I very much look forward to it (if it makes it to Miami). Here's the link if you wish to see the trailer and more: http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/persepolis/

The animation seems to be include both the books Persepolis 1 and 2, and honestly reflects the original art. (On the website, Satrapi mentioned that she got an offer for movie adaption, featuring Jennifer Lopez and Brad Pitt as her parents... imagine that!!)

Thanks SqueakyChu so much for sharing and this will be mailed out to kOOkaburra in a few days.

Journal Entry 10 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Thursday, December 13, 2007
Score!
The book arrived today.
I read Vol. 1 for an English class I took last year, and it's been "on my list" to read Vol. 2 for quite some time.

Thanks for starting this ring, SqueakyChu!

Journal Entry 11 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Sunday, December 16, 2007
Interesting follow-up to Persepolis. The contrast of European life and life in Iran comes across so clearly. Being a teenager is traumatic for anyone; toss in that sort of culture shock and it would be enough to drive anyone a little bit crazy! She currently lives in Paris, where she (seems) to have found a compromise. I hope she's happy.

Journal Entry 12 by wingk00kaburrawing at Media Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (1/9/2008 UTC) at Media Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

sent on to catrionamoore!

Journal Entry 13 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, January 14, 2008
Arrived safely and next in my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 14 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, January 18, 2008
Both this book and the previous one have stark contrasts in them. As a teenager I felt that I was a social misfit so I have great empathy towards Marjane's story. Yet, whilst I didn't really find my social niche until I turned 19 I never had to contend with the stark contrasts Marjane did.

This book is enlightening and educating. It is a shame that I overheard someone call my book a comic this week (I was reading it whilst my children had their swimmng lesson). By dismissing the book as a comic they are missing a fantastic book.

I wonder if the film will make it's way to the UK.

On the way to Beebarf this week.

Journal Entry 15 by beeofgoodcheer from Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, January 21, 2008
Safely caught! Thank you :o)

Journal Entry 16 by beeofgoodcheer from Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Thanks for the reminder - it has been read and is ready to move on, I'm just very behind with my reviews for LJ/BXing - got a bit of a mental block due to perfectionism etc. I knew it had been a while, but didn't realise it was 3 months - I'm terribly sorry and will get the book moving as soon as I have the next person's address - just PMing them now.

Apologies again, and best wishes

Nic

Journal Entry 17 by beeofgoodcheer from Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, December 27, 2008
I still have this book, safe with me. Unfortunately, I've not been able to get to ring/ray books as quickly as I would wish, but I have PM'ed the next person in the list, and I hope to mail it out in the next few days.

Journal Entry 18 by beeofgoodcheer from Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Another excellent memoir - and I don't generally like graphic novels! It brings starkly home the contrast between life in the West and life behind the veil for women. I'm very glad that I've been brought up in the situation I have and where so much is open to me.

The style of drawing is very simple, but has great power and the expressive faces from just a few lines convey more emotion than whole paragraphs would.

Journal Entry 19 by beeofgoodcheer from Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 30, 2008
The book has been mailed today via airmail - happy reading!

Journal Entry 20 by beeofgoodcheer at sent to the next bookcrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (12/30/2008 UTC) at sent to the next bookcrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 21 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, January 05, 2009
Image hosting by Photobucket Book received today, thanks so much for passing it on beebarf! And thanks for starting this ring SqueakyChu :o)

Journal Entry 22 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Friday, January 09, 2009
I just love Marjane Satrapi:o) What a fantastic read! I've never been a fan of graphic novels but I'm a huge fan of Satrapi's. Okay, I have to say I didn't like Persepolis 2 as much as Persepolis but that didn't prevent me from giving this one nine stars;o) By the way, I urge everyone who hasn't yet seen the film adaptation of Persepolis to find a copy to watch ASAP, it's really a must-see!

Thanks again Squeaky-Chu for hosting such interesting rings:o)

I've already PMed lunasfingo for her address and will send her the book ASAP.

Journal Entry 23 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, January 12, 2009
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Book sent to lunasfingo today, enjoy!

Entry #2 for the 2009 Keep Them Moving Challenge

Journal Entry 24 by tximeleta-vlc from Valencia, València/Valencia Spain on Thursday, January 29, 2009
Just got it in the mail today. Thanks a lot, Chich! :-) I'll start reading it right now!

Journal Entry 25 by tximeleta-vlc from Valencia, València/Valencia Spain on Friday, February 13, 2009
A fantastic, compelling and humane, very humane book. Have I said how I love this woman's works already?

It really shows how hard can life be and how to endure hardships and find our place in the world despite circumstances. It's very educating, too- I'm actually thinking about working it a bit with my Secondary students. And the film, which I've seen recently, is a condensed yet slightly different sight on the same story. Don't miss any of them!

Get in touch with Zlatko so it can continue with its travel around the world.

Journal Entry 26 by tximeleta-vlc at Sent to Poligiros, Greece, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, February 21, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (2/19/2009 UTC) at Sent to Poligiros, Greece, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Travelling on the post to Greece. Enjoy this book, mate! :-)

Journal Entry 27 by ZlatkoGR from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Got it! I'm finishing tomorrow the book I'm currently reading and this is next! I wanted to read this a long time and finally the time has come! Yooohooo!

Thanks lunasfingo and SqueakyChu!

Journal Entry 28 by ZlatkoGR from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Sunday, March 08, 2009
Ahh, finally! 26 months before, I read the first volume and I really liked the story of Marjane. Now (even with the second volume being slightly worst than the first), with the story completed, I feel like I've known this girl. It's a wonderful graphic novel, a must read for everyone.

Thanks again for this!

Journal Entry 29 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Thanks SqueakyChu for including me in the ring, and ZlatkoGR for posting it to me.

This is the fifth BC book I received today!
I've got a big Mount TBR but this one won't be a problem :-)

Journal Entry 30 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, April 06, 2009
Marjane's story continues with even more insight and honesty than the first part. If at times the story isn't as sharply delineated as the first volume, it's because adulthood carries with it many contradictions.
I appreciate the complexity of Marjane's coming into maturity. Despite the culture clash, she is 'wise before her years' in Vienna, and yet when she returns to Iran, her situation is reversed, as she seems 'reluctant to let go of her innocence'. She is good at adapting and surviving the most surreal situations, but is unable to overcome her emotional sensitivities/dependencies that haunt her from her adolescent years.

-------
On its way to martaenmichiel.

Journal Entry 31 by martaenmichiel from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, April 18, 2009
Received this book last week, but I really did not have time to update you all. Sorry about that! Anyway, I could not resist and I already read the first couple of chapters... can't wait to read the rest!

Thank you okyrhoe for sending it and all of you for keeping this ring going!!!

Journal Entry 32 by martaenmichiel from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, May 06, 2009
I loved this book. Before reading it I was a bit worried, as I liked the first book so much and feared the second would not live up to expectations.
But what a pleasant surprise! Satrapi is very honest about her life, her problems and the difficult times she went through. I believe it takes a lot of courage to put all of that on paper and allow other people to read it. At the same time, this little book is very funny and I found myself laughing out loud more than once. A refreshing read and one to recommend.
And although my life so far has been much easier than the author's, I recognized some of my own struggles in hers: studying very far from home at an age in which your identity is still developing; living abroad for a long period of time, which can make you feel like a foreigner everywhere, even in the land where you were born.
Now it’s time for this book to continue its journey – I’ll PM airyaa right after posting this.
And Squeaky Chu, thank you for starting this ray!

Journal Entry 33 by martaenmichiel at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/3/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

took a bit long, but this book is now on its way to airyaa!

Journal Entry 34 by airyaa on Wednesday, July 08, 2009
Thank you martaenmichiel, the book is in Kuwait but unfortunately I'm in Iran right now. I'm going back on Aug 15, will read the book in one day and send it to the next BCer real fast. Sorry in advance for the delay.
And SqueakyChu, thank you so much for the ray... can't wait to read the book.
---
(Aug 23)
Sorry again for keeping the book for so long. I finally got back and could finish the book.
Reading Persepolis at this time when Iran is in a critical situation reminded me of all the ups and downs that Iranians have gone and are going through for freedom.
Despite most of the books that only repeat the stereotypes to become bestseller, I'm glad the image Satrapi showed of Iran is a true, bitter and sometimes funny one.
---
(Aug 28)
The book was sent this week.

Journal Entry 35 by Lemonitsa from Montréal, Québec Canada on Tuesday, September 08, 2009
Arrived safe and sound this morning! Will be reading it this weekend. PMing literarylover to have the next address ready :)

Journal Entry 36 by Lemonitsa from Montréal, Québec Canada on Saturday, September 12, 2009
I enjoyed this graphic novel very much. Marjane's story pulled me and didn't let go. Many moments felt like she was here speaking to me directly.

(finished)

Journal Entry 37 by Lemonitsa from Montréal, Québec Canada on Wednesday, September 23, 2009
sent to penelopewanders this afternoon :)

Journal Entry 38 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, October 02, 2009
Happy to read the sequel to this story. I've since seen the film of the first one (actually received it as a present) and have shared it with others as well. So I look forward to this. It has arrived behind a few other rings (never rains, but pours?) so this will go to the back of the line. Thank you so much for making it available and sending.

Journal Entry 39 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, October 10, 2009
Fascinating tale. The ending felt a bit rushed, but perhaps that's because a third is in the works? Glad to read this, thanks so much for sending and making available. Will confirm the next address...

This is now on its way to Austria. Enjoy! Thanks again for making this book available.

(What's strange is that I'm convinced I read the first one as a ring but can't find trace of it anywhere... very strange! Does anyone know of a ring for the first one that I might have been in a few years ago?? Not that it matters but I wanted to read what I'd said about that, and can't find the entry anywhere)

Journal Entry 41 by wolkenklang on Wednesday, October 28, 2009
It is here, thank you!

Journal Entry 42 by wolkenklang on Tuesday, December 01, 2009
An interesting insight into Iranian society as well as its regime, but also a poignant report of a girl living abroad all by herself, feeling alienated and desperately trying to fit in.
A great read!

Journal Entry 43 by wolkenklang at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/2/2009 UTC) at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Now on its way to the UK!

Journal Entry 44 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, December 19, 2009
The book arrived safely today. It will be after christmas before I finish it. Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 45 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 06, 2010
An interesting and easy read. I enjoyed the glimpse into a different culture.

pm sent to Icila for address.

Journal Entry 46 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, January 24, 2010
Received 2 days ago and almost finished. I already saw the film but I also enjoy very much the book and the end was not in the film.

PMing the next.

Journal Entry 47 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, January 27, 2010
On its way to NZ.

Journal Entry 48 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, January 31, 2010
I collected this book from our Post Office Box today - what a very quick trip. Thanks to all involved.
I wasn't exactly sure what I'd be getting but now, of course, after a quick delighted perusal I want to read "Persepolis", the first book.
What a well-travelled book it is. I'll try to be v.quick but do have a couple of other books on high priority.
Thanks too to Icila for the postcard - I'll have to look up some of the art references on it.
I'm partially in love with France having a son, d-i-l and two delightful grandsons living just by Paris.

Journal Entry 49 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, February 27, 2010
What an interesting book, both from its presentation in graphic art form and for its "clear-eyed and searing condemnation of the human cost of of fundamentalism". I'm so pleased to have had the chance to read this book and once again I am astounded by the inability of folk of whatever persuasion to adopt a reasoned approach to differences. How clever of Marjane to present it in such an easily absorbed fashion.

I pm-ed ankevd3S for an address on 1 Feb but that was not answered so I've sent a reminder this morning.
As soon as I hear the book will be on its way once again.
Thanks to all involved in keeping the book moving.

2.3.10
I have ankevd3S/s address so will be posting the book today.

Journal Entry 50 by wingSherlockfanwing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 01, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/1/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Just have to wrap this book then I'll be off to the Post Office.
Have now found a bookcrosser with a copy of the First Persepolis book and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Journal Entry 51 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, March 13, 2010
Yesterday I received the book. Thank you, Sherlock fan!
I also did not read Persepolis 1, but I did see the film, so think I'll be able to catch on with the story..
Am looking forward to read it!!

CAUGHT IN ROTTERDAM ZUID-HOLLAND THE NETHERLANDS

Journal Entry 52 by ankevd3s from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, March 13, 2010
Sorry, I thought I was still logged in.... so the last post was not from an anonymous finder, but from me :)

...

Update 22/05:
First of all: sorry for keeping the book so long! I moved since receiving it, and it has been waiting in a box for some time.. Today I re-discovered it, and red it in one breath.. absolutely worthwhile; an impressive and amusing comic! I had already seen the film, but am now really keen on trying to get my hands on the book 'Persepolis 1'..
I will send ana-b a pm, so I can forward the book to her..
Thank you for this ring, everybody!

Journal Entry 53 by ana-b at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, June 02, 2010
The book arrived yesterday. Thanks ankevd3s , and I love the cinnamon stick. Thanks SqueakyChu.

Journal Entry 54 by ana-b at Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, June 14, 2010
What a great story. And those simple drawings in black and white, beautiful.

On its way to the USA.

Journal Entry 56 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, June 24, 2010
And it's arrived is SLC~~thanks! I look forward to starting this weekend~

Journal Entry 57 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (10/28/2015 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

OMG~~I had no idea I have had this book so long! Though in truth, it did spend a couple of those years loaned out. I'm even more surprised to see I didn't journal :( unforgivable on a book this travelled :( I loved it, and so did the several twenty-somethings it passed around to locally. Having now resurfaced, I'm sending it on (finally!) to continue it's BC journey by fulfilling a wishlist wish :).

tracking:9449 0096 9993 8897 5996 75

Journal Entry 58 by FeistyPom2Love at San Ramon, California USA on Tuesday, November 03, 2015
Persepolis 2 has arrived safely to me!! I read the 1st book earlier this year and look forward to reading this one too.

Wow, this copy of Persepolis 2 has seen a lot of mileage the past few years and quite a few readers!!! Whoohoo!!

Journal Entry 59 by FeistyPom2Love at San Ramon, California USA on Monday, December 14, 2015
I finished reading this book today. It's my 97th read of 2015!! I enjoyed reading Persepolis 2 a lot more than the 1st book. The artwork is wonderful as usual.

I'll try to find a new home for this book soon.

Happy reading!!

Journal Entry 60 by FeistyPom2Love at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (12/17/2015 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

I found another reader who wants to read this book, so am mailing this off as a RABCK! Happy reading!!