Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

by David Sedaris | Nonfiction |
Registered by Firegirl of Annandale, Virginia USA on 6/14/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Firegirl from Annandale, Virginia USA on Thursday, June 14, 2007
From Publishers Weekly: In his latest collection, Sedaris has found his heart. This is not to suggest that the author...has lost his edge. The 27 essays here include his best and funniest writing yet. Here is Sedaris's family in all its odd glory. Here is his father dragging his mortified son over to the home of one of the most popular boys in school, a boy possessed of "an uncanny ability to please people," demanding that the boy's parents pay for the root canal that Sedaris underwent after the boy hit him in the mouth with a rock. Here is his oldest sister, Lisa, imploring him to keep her beloved Amazon parrot out of a proposed movie based on his writing. ("'Will I have to be fat in the movie?' she asked.") Here is his mother, his muse, locking the kids out of the house after one snow day too many, playing the wry, brilliant commentator on his life until her untimely death from cancer. His mother emerges as one of the most poignant and original female characters in contemporary literature. She balances bitter and sweet, tart and rich—and so does Sedaris, because this is what life is like. "You should look at yourself," his mother says in one piece, as young Sedaris crams Halloween candy into his mouth rather than share it. He does what she says and then some, and what emerges is the deepest kind of humor, the human comedy. (Copyright © Reed Business Information)

Journal Entry 2 by Firegirl from Annandale, Virginia USA on Friday, July 13, 2007
Sending to MsJoanna as part of my biographies/memoirs virtual bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Thursday, August 09, 2007
This actually arrived a while ago, but somehow I forgot to make an entry until now. Thanks for sending it (and for organizing the box). I''ve been wanting to read this one for a while.

Journal Entry 4 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Tuesday, November 27, 2007
I really enjoyed these essays. This is the first Sedaris book that I’ve read, but after reading this, I got a copy of Me Talk Pretty One Day from a long lost bookring. Sedaris writes extremely well and manages to make the mundane stories and details of daily life come alive. It’s the sort of writing that reminds the reader that not much has to happen to make a great story. Everyone should learn to tell the stories of their lives in this manner. I’m glad I got the chance to read this excellent set of essays.

This has been mailed (on 12/14/07) to AceofHearts, who won it in the December YBS swap at Book Obsessed.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 26, 2007
received on Christmas Eve which was far too hectic to get on-line and make a journal entry.
Thanks

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 17, 2009
This is a set of essays commenting on Sedaris' life. One of the stories is about the time his father drags him over to a bully's house insisting his father pay for the root canal needed. The bully had hit him with a rock in his mouth.

Another of the the stories is about the birth of his niece. His brother becomes a gentler soul but still is a hard-ass.

I must be losing my sense of humour as although the stories were okay I did not find them hilariously funny. I found the Sedaris family to be eccentric sometimes but just the same as any other family. Tiffany wants to divorce her family. Paul is proving his machismo because he is the only 'male'. David is timid because of his homosexuality. An okay read.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 02, 2009
mailed today to my birthday partner

Journal Entry 8 by Xeyra from Seixal, Setúbal Portugal on Sunday, June 14, 2009
Oh, I love this author! This is a GREAT birthday present. Thank you SO much, Ace. You rock. :)