Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel

by Joe Hill, | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjarewing of Port Richey, Florida USA on 6/5/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Tuesday, June 05, 2007
I've heard a lot of great things about this book. Nice to know that Joe inherited his father Stephen King's gift for spinning a chilling tale!

From the inside jacket:

Judas Coyne is a collector of the macabre: a cookbook for cannibals...a used hangman's noose...a snuff film. An aging death-metal rock god, his taste for the unnatural is as widely known to his legions of fans as the notorious excesses of his youth. But nothing he possesses is as unlikely or as dreadful as his latest discovery, an item for sale on the Internet, a thing so terribly strange, Jude can't help but reach for his wallet.

I will "sell" my stepfather's ghost to the highest bidder....

For a thousand dollars, Jude will become the proud owner of a dead man's suit, said to be haunted by a restless spirit. He isn't afraid. He has spent a lifetime coping with ghosts--of an abusive father, of the lovers he callously abandoned, of the band-mates he betrayed. What's one more?

But what UPS delivers to his door in a black heart-shaped box is no imaginary or metaphorical ghost, no benign conversation piece. It's the real thing.

And suddenly the suit's previous owner is everywhere: behind the bedroom door...seated in Jude's restored vintage Mustang...standing outside his window... staring out from his widescreen TV. Waiting--with a gleaming razor blade on a chain dangling from one bony hand...

Journal Entry 2 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Monday, September 17, 2007
Well, I was very impressed with Hill's writing skills, and the story was ok. I just say "ok" because I just don't have a taste for ghosts stories. Still gets a good rating though because he sure can write!

Journal Entry 3 by wingjarewing at Towne Park Plaza on Eubank S of I-40 in Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Monday, September 17, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (9/17/2007 UTC) at Towne Park Plaza on Eubank S of I-40 in Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

Left in the parking lot, in a basket.