Stage by Stage (Transita)

by Jones Jan | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1905175086 Global Overview for this book
Registered by LindyLouMac of Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on 6/2/2007
Journal Entry 1 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, June 02, 2007
I recently purchased this title as part of my project to read all Transita's publications! I have yet to read, but as I plan to release all Transita books I have purchased as Bookrays,marking as AVL so that other Transita fans will maybe let me know now of their interest in reading this title.

Book Description;Amazon.co.uk
This is a wickedly funny romantic comedy about what happens when forty-something, mother-of-two Beth is dumped after 25 years of marriage. She gears up her working life a notch, takes in bed-and-breakfast visitors - and finds herself attracted to Owen, a cynical touring actor who is committed to very little except his job.
Synopsis:Amazon.co.uk
Teaching full-time and acquiring all the oddball kids in the new intake are only the first of Beth's challenges when Alan leaves her after 25 years of marriage. She also has to turn her untidy Cambridge house into a B&B to make ends meet and then counteract the effect of regular theatrical guests on her stage-mad teenage children. Alan doesn't even have the decency to stay out of her life. Instead he makes disapproving incursions back in with his saccharine-laden new partner. But Beth's real worry is lodger Owen Pendragon - a character actor with wicked hazel eyes, a quirky sense of humour and a tendency to walk around her home sexily damp in his bathrobe. With attitudes and lifestyles clashing, will Beth and Owen ever find common ground? All they can do is to take things 'stage by stage'.

Journal Entry 2 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, June 21, 2007
Update:14th Oct At last I have read this and it is ready to travel.

A first novel; which in 2005 when published was the winner of a New Writers Award from the Romantic Novelists Association. I was a little surprised to learn this after reading it. Although I enjoyed the story, it certainly did not leave me wanting more. This for me is always the sign of a good novel. Though it did leave me with that feel good factor and is a very readable romantic comedy.
The break up of the heroine’s marriage means that she decides to start taking Bed and Breakfast guests. This leads her to greater involvement with her talented childrens interest in local theatre groups.
Beth, Owen and Nat were very lifelike characters that one easily relates to. Far too much tea was drunk though!! It felt like that when the author was having problems with what to say next, yet another cup of tea was suggested!? Mind you having said that I suspect that is so true to life. When the going gets tough have a cup of tea!!
Worth reading especially if you need cheering up.

Journal Entry 3 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, June 21, 2007
I have now worked out a running order for all the Transita titles that I am organising Bookrays for. It is a very similar order for each title. To try and avoid them all ending up with one person, I will stagger the starting dates. Please try and read and pass on within less than a month, thankyou.

Tregossip/UK
Meganh/Italy
Maireen/Italy
iwanttobeinital/Italy
Melamura/Italy
Suffolk-Barnowl/UK En route here soon July 08(last so can decide what should happen to it next)

Journal Entry 4 by LindyLouMac at Sent by post in by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (10/19/2007 UTC) at Sent by post in by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

En route to Tregossip in the UK at the start of this books travels.

Journal Entry 5 by Tregossip from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Arrived to-day and thanks so much

This is a comfort read, like comfort food, it fills a hole and a need at that particular time in life.
It arrived just when I really needed it.
OK we Brit's always put the kettle on for a brew - whatever

Have Midlifecrisis's address and will post next week

Released 11 yrs ago (11/1/2007 UTC) at Controlled release in controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

off to Midlifecrisis

Journal Entry 7 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, November 03, 2007
Sorry but I seem somehow to have got myself signed to two rings of the same book. I have therefore already read this, so will get it moving again as quickly as possible. I'm afraid I did not rate it very highly. In fact I had to re-read my previous journal entry to remind myself what it was about. All I remember was dishy Owen, but the rest just seemed like padding. There you go - it's different opinions which make these rays interesting.

Journal Entry 8 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Posted this afternoon.

Journal Entry 9 by Annodyne from Sale, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 09, 2007
Arrived yesterday, and as I am between books, this is going to be my next read.

Journal Entry 10 by Annodyne from Sale, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 10, 2007
Once I've started reading, I only abandon very few books, maybe two or three in a year, without finishing. I'm afraid this book is one of them. I did get up to page 50 though!

Maybe my expectations of Transita, as a publisher "of and for grown-up women" are too high, or maybe I'm just not in the right frame of mind for this particular brand of breathless giddiness.

However, I'm sure I'll have better luck next time, and that other readers will enjoy it. Will be passing this on to Rivercassini as soon as I get her address.

Edited 13/11/07 to add - posted to Rivercassini
today.

Journal Entry 11 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, November 15, 2007
A lovely neat package was waiting for me on my desk when I got to work - and a lovely treat to have such a promising looking book too :) Thank you.

Journal Entry 12 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, November 25, 2007
Just making a quick journal entry to update everyone and to apologise for taking so long with this book. The fault lay with the book I was reading beforehand - The Hamilton Case by Michelle de Kretser - which I didn't really enjoy and for some reason took me more than a week to read. I started Stage by Stage last night and am now more than half way through. I expect to finish either this evening or perhaps tomorrow on the train, so will PM the next person on the list now so that I have their address ready to hand to pass this book on next week sometime.

Journal Entry 13 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, November 25, 2007
I really enjoyed reading this witty and frothy romance - I gobbled it up like chocolate. And that's just the problem with this book, too. It is the literary equivalent of comfort eating too many cream cakes: enormously enjoyable to start with, utterly unputdownable and in the end sickening with no nutritional value. It's a great romp, in the same way that my grandmother's Mills and Boon novels, which I occassionally read under the bed clothes as a teenager, were. All sugar and no meat. Such novels are best kept to a couple of hundred pages; the high glucose levels this induced by the end forced consumption of vast amounts of water and a mile long run for detoxification! Yet it's so engrossing, you just have to keep reading to see how Beth and Owen, Nats and Seb and Cate and Luke work out.

Will be on its way to Pell shortly.

Journal Entry 14 by Rivercassini at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 26, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (11/26/2007 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Popped in the post to Pell tonight.

Journal Entry 15 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Sunday, December 23, 2007
Thank you Rivercassini,Sorry this journal is a week or so late, have been without a computer for a while (how did we manage before computers), but book arrived safe and started it today.

Journal Entry 16 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Thursday, January 31, 2008
I am so sorry found this parcel in the back of the car yesterday I was supposed to post it 2 weeks ago, hope this hasnt caused too much trouble. Posted today.

Journal Entry 17 by wingmeganhwing from Preston, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, February 06, 2008
Received together with Forgotten Dreams. Thanks for including me in the bookrings LindyLouMac - almost my only bookcrossing activity during our 6 month Italian adventure.

Journal Entry 18 by wingmeganhwing from Preston, Victoria Australia on Friday, March 07, 2008
This was a good holiday read. It is a very light romance, a little predictable but still enjoyable. I did think the story skipped in a few places and I lost the continuity of the story occasionally. The characters of the two men in Beth’s life were described as such complete opposites that I didn’t think either of them could possibly be real. The subsidiary romances of Beth’s daughter and Kate were extra to the main story and I guess you could almost say that the author was discussing all the ways a romance could turn out and the different behaviours of the people involved.
Off to the next reader now and thanks for sharing LindyLouMac. My bookcrossing activity in Italia has been minimal and after 6 months here I have yet to wild release a book – maybe next week when we will visit Amalfi and Alberobello. Our 6 months living in Tocco, Abruzzo has been quite an adventure and because of the winter cold I have enjoyed lots of reading in front of our fire. In less than 10 days our Italian adventure will be over and we will be back in Australia.

Journal Entry 19 by Maireen from Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Monday, March 10, 2008
Thanks Meganh - book arrived safely in the rain this morning. Have a few others to read before but maybe it will jump the queue if I need a comfort read!

Journal Entry 20 by Maireen from Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Saturday, March 29, 2008
It did jump the queue!
Easy, laughable read. My sister works at the Corn Exchange in Cambridge and the stories I get to hear about visiting actors are always entertaining!

Already have Iwannabeinitaly's address - so the book will be off to her next week.

Meganh - hope you got back home safely to Aussi world!

Journal Entry 21 by iwanttobeinital from Belvedere Marittimo, Calabria Italy on Thursday, April 03, 2008
Arrived yesterday - I'll have to get reading as I've a couple to catch up with!

Nice, light-hearted read.
Awaiting address to send on

Journal Entry 22 by iwanttobeinital from Belvedere Marittimo, Calabria Italy on Sunday, June 15, 2008
A light-hearted read although I found the characters a little unbelieveable and the storyline a little jumbled (or maybe I just lost concentration?)
Posted during the week to Melamura.

Journal Entry 23 by Melamura from Montefiascone, Lazio Italy on Saturday, July 12, 2008
I quite enjoyed this. It was funny and the characters believable. The ex husband Alan was an annoying, patronising git and he did Beth a favour by leaving her. It didn't take me long to read and was just the thing for a sunny afternoon in the garden.