Shanghai Baby: A Novel

by Wei Hui | Romance | This book has not been rated.
Registered by CdnBlueRose of Lynden, Washington USA on 6/1/2007
Journal Entry 1 by CdnBlueRose from Lynden, Washington USA on Friday, June 01, 2007
From Publishers Weekly
Although it caused an uproar in the author's native China, Western readers will find 27-year-old Wei Hui's semiautobiographical offering reminiscent of fiction by the brat pack writers of the '80s, though more clich‚d and less edgy. Waitress Nikki "but my friends call me Coco after Coco Chanel" is in love with Tian Tian, a melancholy and impotent artist who falls prey to narcotics. Coco loves him madly, but not so madly that she wants to give up sex, and this is why she's also been seeing Mark, a married German businessman. Coco's deceptions, Tian Tian's problems with his wealthy mother (who he suspects killed his father) and the intertwining worlds of art and fashion are all fodder for Coco's upcoming slice-of-lifestyle novel, in which Shanghai's privileged 20-somethings are shown in their natural habitat of clubs and coffeehouses. Beneath the techno beat, though, the sore subject of Western imperialism its avatars, this time, multinational managers still lurks. Among Coco's friends, one known as Madonna stands out in particular: she earned a fortune first as a madam and then as the widow of a rich man. Wei Hui evidently wants to imitate her heroes, the beats and Henry Miller, and relishes observations like "our bodies were already tarnished, and our minds beyond help." But she spends more time analyzing people by the brands they use and the cars they drive, thus giving the book an odd air of beat fluff, as if Jack Kerouac had mated with Judith Krantz. The book is as alluring as a gossip column, but, alas, as shallow as one, too.

Duplicate for KarinAlyssa

Journal Entry 2 by CdnBlueRose from Lynden, Washington USA on Monday, July 02, 2007
Mailing out to KarinAlyssa this morning - ENJOY! (From my RABCK giveaway)

Journal Entry 3 by KarinAlyssa on Saturday, August 18, 2007
merci beaucoup ! I received it earlier this week, but since I''m in the process of moving, it has been tossed all over the place because I didn''t want to misplace it with the other books. It''s going to Ottawa in a box.