Cloud Atlas

by David Mitchell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Shimmy-crazy of Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on 5/29/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Synopsis "'Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies ...' A reluctant voyager crossing the Pacific in 1850; a disinherited composer blagging a precarious livelihood in between-the-wars Belgium; a high-minded journalist in Governor Reagan's California; a vanity publisher fleeing his gangland creditors; a genetically modified 'dinery server' on death-row; and Zachry, a young Pacific Islander witnessing the nightfall of science and civilisation - the narrators of "Cloud Atlas" hear each other's echoes down the corridor of history, and their destinies are changed in ways great and small. In his extraordinary third novel, David Mitchell erases the boundaries of language, genre and time to offer a meditation on humanity's dangerous will to power, and where it may lead us."

I loved this book and want lots of people to read it so am sending it out as a bookring.

Here's the list
anthonybairdis UK (post int)
teuffi UK (post int)
franaloe Netherlands (post ?)
afraberg Netherlands (post int)
Hengameh Iran (post int)
carelaisa Canada (post Canada/US if poss)
blackadder75 US (post Canada/US)
sunnybrook301 US (post?) skipped
teenie-k Canada (post int)
Sunshine-irl Ireland (post Int)
Suzy-Scribbler UK (post ?)
Kera UK (end ring request)
and back to me

Posted to anthonybairdis 13/06/07

Journal Entry 2 by anthonybairdis from Hebburn, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
First off, I'd like to apologise for taking so long to register this book - unfortunately I've had no internet access for quite some time, but this is now resolved.

Having read the book I absolutely loved it too - I loved how the stories were connected to each other, but only marginally, as stories that have been passed on through time, and that each story is interrupted by the next. Each story has a different setting and protagonist, but the same themes of reincarnation, treachery and slavery (to different things, whether it be the truth, music or literal physical slavery) are present in each of the stories. Each story has a unique voice that takes a little while to get used to, and one or two of the stories take a little while to get into, but I think they all pay off in the end. My particular favourite was Halflives: The First Louisa Rey Mystery, about a journalist in the 70's uncovering a conspiracy about a nuclear power-plant.

I have PMed teuffi for their address and will pass the book on as soon as I get it.

Journal Entry 3 by teuffi from Great Bookham, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, July 30, 2007
Got the book today, looking forward to reading it!

Thank you Shimmy-crazy for sharing and anthonybairdis for passing the book on!

Journal Entry 4 by teuffi from Great Bookham, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 21, 2007
I just finished reading this book.

Although I did find some parts difficult to get into, in particular the first part of the journal of Adam Ewing and Sloosha's Crossing, I really enjoyed the way the story and stories are organised and interlink with each other.

I loved Sonmi's tale although the end of it left me quite bitter as it combined some of the themes that came back in all the stories: the quest for truth, should it be told or not and how far will people with power go to ensure it remains untold.
I enjoyed the second parts of all the stories because of the feeling of 'it-does-not-matter-what-you-do, it-will-all-go-wrong-anyway'.

A very interesting concept, beautifully written in very different styles depending on the characters.
David Mitchell is for sure an author to keep an eye on!

I have franaloe's address so the book will be on its way to the Netherlands tomorrow!

Journal Entry 5 by franaloe from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, August 27, 2007
I was so happy to get an e-mail from teuffi saying that she had this book ready to send me. I am really looking foreward to reading it. I'll take it with me on my research cruise to Svalbard, leaving this Wednesday. I hope I'll have enough time to read!

Thank you for passing!

Journal Entry 6 by franaloe from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, September 16, 2007
I absolutely loved the book. I've been reading it at the strangest hours on a research vessel steaming through the fjords of Svalbard. I am defenitely going to read more from this writer as I like the way he writes and the crazy things and new words he comes up with. Cool. This was my first RING-book. I hope more will follow!

Journal Entry 7 by afraberg from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, September 20, 2007
This book arrived today at my doorstep. I'll read it ASAP, probably next week.
Thank you very much for sending Franaloe! And of course for ringing the book, Shimmy-crazy!

Journal Entry 8 by afraberg from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, October 13, 2007
What a great book this is! The English was sometimes a bit hard for me, but the story was thrilling enough to keep reading.
Yesterday I sent the book on its way to Hengameh.
Thank you very much Shimmy-crazy for sharing this book!

Journal Entry 9 by Hengameh from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Saturday, January 05, 2008
i've started the book.will write more when it's finished.
thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 10 by Hengameh from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Saturday, February 02, 2008
i'm asking for the next bxer's address. thanks a lot for sharing.

Journal Entry 11 by carelaisa from Québec, Québec Canada on Saturday, June 28, 2008
finally rec'd the book yesterday! it spent a long time in the mail but got here safely. I will read asap though I have another ray to read before this one but I'll try no to keep the book for a long period of time.

Journal Entry 12 by carelaisa from Québec, Québec Canada on Sunday, July 20, 2008
Well, I must say that it was a good read. I didn't know what to expect when I started reading it but the more I got into it, the more I liked it. I really liked the way the stories are linked to each other, the existing link between the main characters of each story, how all of them ended and all the travelling between different periods of our time. I'm definitely reading the other books by this author.

I have the next BCer's address and will mail the book this week.

UPDATE: Mailed to blackadder75 on July 25th, via airmail.

Journal Entry 13 by blackadder75 from Lebanon, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, August 06, 2008
Got this in yesterday's mail. I have two other bookrings and a paper for a summer course to write before reading this book. I should get it read in a week or two.

Journal Entry 14 by blackadder75 at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 12, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (9/12/2008 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Book was sent to teenie-k in today's mail.

Journal Entry 15 by teenie-k from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, September 25, 2008
This book arrived safely in today's mail. I will try to read it fairly soon and send it on it's long voyage to Sunshine-irl in Ireland! Judging by the other journal entries, I'm in for a treat!

Thanks you for the bookring Shimmy-Crazy, and thanks for passing it on to me blackladder75!

Journal Entry 16 by teenie-k from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, October 29, 2008
A wonderfully complex novel. Slow to start, but well worth patience, Mitchell's novel is unique and unlike any other novel I have read.

Mitchell has written one novel, that spans not only several time periods, and several characters, but also several genres. From 19th century historical to sci-fi post apocalyptic future and everything in between. All this is expertly woven into a story of a single soul traveling through time. Themes subtly reappear from one story to the next, adding strength to that which ties these stories together. Technically brilliant and quite entertaining. This book was short listed for the Booker Prize in 2004.

One thing to note about this book is that early on, you may feel convinced that pages are missing, but if you carry on reading, it will make sense.

Journal Entry 17 by teenie-k at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (10/29/2008 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Put into the mail to Sunshine-irl today. It's going surface mail, so it may take some time to get there, but it's on it's way!

Journal Entry 18 by Sunshine-irl from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Just arrived in the post - Will read it very soon.

Journal Entry 19 by Sunshine-irl from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, February 20, 2009
I couldn't get in to this book at all.
I have a load of others to be read so not going to hold the line up.
Have PM's next in line for their address and will send the book on it's way soon.

Journal Entry 20 by Suzy-Scribbler on Thursday, March 26, 2009
Looking forward to reading this book.

Journal Entry 21 by Suzy-Scribbler on Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Sent to me in the post as part of bookring. I will try and read as soon as poss with appologies for the long silence.