The Big Over Easy (Nursery Crime Adventures 1)

by Jasper Fforde | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by hunnyb of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 5/24/2007
Journal Entry 1 by hunnyb from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, May 24, 2007
Jasper Fforde writes so imaginatively - I just wish his characters were actually real! You know you're in for a treat when the story features characters named Mary Mary, Humpty Dumpty and the Gingerbread Man. Hope you enjoy it, KateKintail!

Journal Entry 2 by KateKintail from Burke, Virginia USA on Thursday, June 07, 2007
Received this in today's mail. I have a number of must-read-ASAP books to get through first. However, I'd heard so many great things about this author and so I am definitely looking forward to cracking this open and giving it a go. It looks great. Thank you for the kindness!

Journal Entry 3 by KateKintail from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, February 19, 2010
Everyone recommended Jasper Fforde. And I had heard such great things about the Tuesday Next series. But I received a copy of The Big Over Easy as a RABCK and grabbed one from an audio bookbox as well. It took me a while to get to this on my TBR shelf, but I'm so glad I did. I absolutely adore nursery rhymes (I think they're a basic cultural base that kids need to have) and I know them so well as to have picked up on all of the wonderful characters and situations used/referenced in this book.

Fforde really does create amazing characters. It was easy to identify with Mary Mary as she was introduced to the NCD (Nursery Crimes Division) and Jack Sprat, the head of that department. She is thrown into the middle of a tough case that seems so many times as though it was closed... but it wasn't! Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. Or... was he pushed? The cast of characters is really amazing--they're all quirky and fun, even the ones you don't like. But the mystery in the story is weighted just as much in the story and BOTH the characters and the complex mystery keep the story going. That's a rare thing, and Fforde does it with what feels like no effort at all. There were SO many twists and turns and I kept trying to solve it and failing. The ending was pleasantly surprising and highly entertaining. I kept finding reasons to jump back in the car so I could listen to more and find out whodunit!

Oh, and the world that is created--a world where police officers are celebrities and fictional characters become quite real, a world where the silliest fictional nursery rhymes/myths are converted into real investigative and judicial situations (though stay so faithful to the original)--is just so clever. At the beginning of each chapter, you get a fun clipping/story/report (like the trial of the straw-to-gold spinner who insisted the judge guess his name) that entertains and brings more depth to the world (though the characters do that just fine on their own as well). I also loved the illustration of Humpty in the front of the book. After I finished earreading the book, I went back through and read all the beginnings of chapters again.

The best thing about Fforde is the humor. It is precisely the kind of humor I like the most. It's dry and clever and deadpan. And I couldn't get enough of it. Seriously, this might just be the funniest fiction story I've ever read or earread. (I only say "might" because I can't honestly think of one I thought was funnier, but my memory sucks).

I put the second book on hold at the library and cannot wait to read it!

Journal Entry 4 by KateKintail at Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, February 19, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (2/18/2010 UTC) at Burke, Virginia USA

I lent this to my mother, because I think she would really get a kick out of it. I've promised it to melydia when I get it back from Mom.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Thursday, May 27, 2010
I am returning this book to my daughter. I'm a big mystery book fan, and the inside jokes alone made this a great read. The characters are funny, the plot was a hoot, and I just couldn't stop reading it. My husband couldn't get through it though. I was rooting for Jack Spratt all the way!

Journal Entry 6 by KateKintail at Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 12, 2010
Mom returned this to me!

Journal Entry 7 by KateKintail at Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 12, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (6/12/2010 UTC) at Arlington, Virginia USA

Taking this to a BCinDC meetup at Cosi in Rosslyn.

Congrats and welcome to BookCrossing!
Thank you so much for picking up this book! Please make a journal entry here on this page if you haven’t already done so to let me know that this book has found a good home. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (joining is free). BookCrossing is entirely confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and spam-free. If you register, you can track this book easily later as it goes on its journey!
I really hope you enjoy the book you found! When you’re done reading it, you can make another journal entry with your comments here to let me know what you thought of it. You can keep the book forever and ever or pass it on to someone else. If you’re giving it to someone directly, make another journal entry saying so. If you choose to leave it somewhere “in the wild” for anyone to catch, make release notes that indicate where you left it. If you register, you will be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry.

Journal Entry 8 by wingmelydiawing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 16, 2010
This book isn't actually in my hands. KateKintail let me write down the BCID at the BCinDC meet last weekend in Rosslyn so I could journal it and follow its travels. I read another copy of this a few months ago, and this is what I had to say then:

Detective Jack Spratt heads the somewhat failing Nursery Crimes Division of the Reading Police Department. Shortly after being assigned Mary Mary as his new partner, Spratt and his team are faced with solving the suspicious death of one Humperdink “Humpty” Dumpty. In a world where police departments get much of their funding from royalties earned publishing the gripping tales of their cases in Amazing Crimes magazine, Friedland Chymes is king, and he wants the Humpty case. Spratt’s boss gives him until the budgetary committee meeting to solve the case, so it’s a race against time and the laughs are nonstop. This is, quite simply, one of the funniest novels I’ve ever read. I listened to it on audio, read by the immensely talented Simon Prebble, and on many occasions I laughed out loud or even repeated some of the funnier lines. They come at you from all sides, from hilarious takes on famous nursery rhyme characters to witty business names (my favorite newspaper name was The Daily Eyestrain) to truly bizarre plot twists. Highly recommended, but you might want to brush up on your nursery rhymes first so you can catch more of the jokes. Trust me, you’ll enjoy it just that much more.

Journal Entry 9 by authorauthor at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 05, 2010
I seem to have forgotten to journal this one when I received it. Sorry about that. But I've read it now and I absolutely loved it! Jasper Fforde is so creative and so, so funny. Humpty Dumpty has been found dead at the foot of a wall, and Detectives Jack Spratt and Mary Mary of the Nursery Crimes Division are on the case. It works as a whodonit mystery novel (of the hardboiled detective type) but it also works as a hilarious romp through all the classic nursery rhymes, with a lot of dry humor, puns, clever plot devices, and literary allusions. Not a lot of books make me laugh out loud. This one did! Highly recommended.

Released 9 yrs ago (12/5/2010 UTC) at BC-DC Meetup in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA

For the book buffet at the BC in DC Holiday party.

Journal Entry 11 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, December 06, 2010
I've heard lots of good things about Jasper Fforde's books, so when I saw this on the table at the BCinDC holiday party, I grabbed to add to my TBR pile. Looking forward to reading this and passing it along.

Journal Entry 12 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Jasper Fforde's books have generated lots of good buzz, and I've been tempted to pick up one to read for some time now. "The Big Over Easy" was not a disappointment. Detective Inspector Jack Spratt heads up the Nursery Crime Division of the Reading Police Department, in charge of investigating crimes involving fantasy characters. However, in a world where Investigative work is equally about dispensing justice and providing entertainment for public consumption, DI Spratt is working with a handicap. He isn't a member of the Detective's Guild, and as a result, his division is underfunded and under appreciated. His attempts to pursue unpopular cases with little literary merit has placed his division on the budget cutting block.

Now it seems that Humpty Dumpty, a popular local businessman with a shady past, has fallen off his wall, and DI Spratt and his new partner DS Mary Mary (who isn't quite as contrary as you would expect) are being pressured to wrap up the investigation quickly and quietly. However, the evidence quickly points to murder, and as Spratt and Mary follow the clues, the mystery becomes ever more complicated. While all the clues are fully disclosed along the way, the reader is kept guessing about how the pieces fit together until the very end, when the story ends with a somewhat surprising twist on the inevitable Jack and the Beanstalk story.

The murder mystery here would be quite satisfying by itself, but the layers of quirky characters and references to nursery rhymes as well as the the satirical pokes at the conventions of mystery writing only add to the fun, making this a very entertaining book.

This book arrived in my possession with a sticky note that read "Not for wild release!". I'll honor that request...I think I'll save this one to share at the 2011 BookCrossing Convention, hosted here in the Washington, DC in April.

For one of the book buffets.

Journal Entry 14 by wingrahar109wing at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 17, 2011
Picked up from the book buffet.

Journal Entry 15 by wingrahar109wing at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 01, 2012
As amusing as ever, full of inside jokes, puns and sly references - I'm sure there were more that I missed. Impressive that it was a properly plotted murder mystery as well as remaining funny all the way through.

Journal Entry 16 by wingrahar109wing at BCUK Unconvention 2012 in Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (9/28/2012 UTC) at BCUK Unconvention 2012 in Colchester, Essex United Kingdom

On the book table, or released somewhere around Colchester.

Hello!
And if you do choose to join, please consider using me, rahar109, as your referring member.
Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 17 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 30, 2012
Picked up from the book buffet at the UnConvention in Colchester. I love Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, so when I spotted this one, I could not help myself and had to get it. This book has traveled quite a lot, nice to see how many other BookCrossers have had it before me.

Journal Entry 18 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 23, 2012
What a delightful book! I love the Thursday Next series and this - albeit difference - is just as good. It's very funny and it is a very good who-dun-it. I will save this book to release at another convention.

Journal Entry 19 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (4/8/2013 UTC) at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom

Sent to rahar109 to bring to the Gothenberg convention. Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 20 by wingrahar109wing at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Arrived safely in the post. I see this book has already passed through my hands.
This time next week it will be winging its way to Sweden!

Journal Entry 21 by wingrahar109wing at Norgeshus (BC Convention 2013) in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (4/20/2013 UTC) at Norgeshus (BC Convention 2013) in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

For the Bookcrossing Annual Convention 2013.
On the book buffet or possibly somewhere in the city.

Hello!
Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 22 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Friday, April 19, 2013
Couldn't resist this book, I do like Jasper Fforde!

Journal Entry 23 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Friday, November 08, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (11/7/2013 UTC) at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden

BC meeting in Oskarshamn, a mini - we were at least two....

Journal Entry 24 by Mariabokmal at Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Saturday, November 09, 2013
caught!

Released 5 yrs ago (4/10/2015 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

Released at the Convention!

Journal Entry 26 by indiegirl-de at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 19, 2015
Wow, this book has been to quite a lot of (Un-)Conventions.

I picked it up at the Oxford one.