The Door in the Lake

by Nancy Butts | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by guinaveve of Mason, Ohio USA on 5/22/2007
Journal Entry 1 by guinaveve from Mason, Ohio USA on Tuesday, May 22, 2007
This is my son's book, but he hasn't registered it, so I am since I read it. I had nothing else on hand and this was a pretty good story. I did have some issues with it though. The first may just be something only an adult would notice. In the story, Joey is missing for 2 years and comes back at the same age physically which he left. He should be 14, but looks 12 like he was when he left. Maybe there is a bigger difference than I realize, but it seems that with the different rates kids mature at, 2 years would not be as big an issue as it is made out to be in the story. A larger gap than 2 years seemed like it would have been better for the purpose of the story, especially when talking about how all of Joey's friends and his younger brother were more mature physically than he was.
My other issue with this book is that Joey hitchhikes once and on another occasion goes off to meet some stranger who contacted him via the internet. This is written into the story without any regard for safety by the main character, Joey, nor do any adults give warning about it after the fact. Both things are presented as nothing too dangerous. I will still let my son read it, but will definitely use it as an opportunity to discuss these safety issues with him.
Ignoring all that, the story is a good one, not only the alien abduction plot line, but because of the adolescent friendships and family relations which are part of the book.

Released 12 yrs ago (5/22/2007 UTC) at a young BCer in To my son, South Carolina -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 3 by jsport on Tuesday, May 22, 2007