Honeymoon with My Brother : A Memoir

by Franz Wisner | Other |
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 5/20/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, May 20, 2007
From the Publisher
This is the true story of Franz Wisner, a man who thought he had it all- a high profile career and the fiancee of his dreams- when suddenly, his life turned upside down. Just days before they were to be married, his fiancee called off the wedding. Luckily, his large support network of family and friends wouldn''t let him succumb to his misery. They decided Franz should have a wedding and a honeymoon anyway- there just wouldn''t be a bride at the ceremony, and Franz'' travel companion would be his brother, Kurt.During the "honeymoon," Franz reconnected with his brother and began to look at his life with newfound perspective. The brothers decided to leave their old lives behind them. They quit their jobs, sold all their possessions, and traveled around the world, visiting fifty-three countries for the next two years. In Honeymoon With My Brother, Franz recounts this remarkable journey, during which he turned his heartbreak into an opportunity to learn about himself, the world, and the brother he hardly knew.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 19, 2014
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books. Unfortunately she didn't get around to reading this book.

We had similar tastes in books and would share them whenever we read something we enjoyed. This book sounds interesting so I'm going to keep it to read.

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, June 17, 2018
When Franz is dumped by his fiancee a few days before the wedding, he is shocked. The entire thing has been paid for, including the honeymoon. Franz surrounds himself with friends and family on the wedding day and then convinces his brother to take his honeymoon with him. The two travel to Central America and enjoy their time. Why not extend it? All Franz can think about is his ex-fiancee. He needs to break free and what better way than to travel the world.

Franz quits his job. His brother Kurt sells his home. They look at booking in advance but figure that they need flexibility. Europe is the first continent they tackle. Travelling together, the two brothers learn a lot about each other and about themselves. Franz tries to get his head around where his relationship went wrong and from an outsider's perspective it's not that hard to figure out.

This is both a travel and personal journey book. The travel is more interesting than the personal journey part of it, but for the most part it is written together pretty well. Franz is a little annoying. He comes from a privileged background and runs campaigning for Republicans. There's a part where he brags about the millions of dollars he's raised, which was a turn off, but then he dialed back the ego a bit.

An interesting book, but I wouldn't pick up his other one.