Don't Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings: Madea's Uninhibited Commentaries on Love and Life

by Tyler Perry | Nonfiction |
Registered by trevor4551 of Caloundra, Queensland Australia on 5/19/2007
Journal Entry 1 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Saturday, May 19, 2007
From amazon.com...

One could say that if the title of this book confuses you, then you probably shouldn't be reading it. But, as Madea helpfully suggests, "If you don't understand something I'm saying here and you're not black, you will have to ask somebody who is." Madea—Southern-speak for "mother dear"—is the fierce alter ego of Tyler Perry, who has paraded the marijuana-smoking, pistol-packing, trash-talking matron through a series of hit gospel plays and films. Although primarily a comic figure based on unapologetically crude behavior coming from a harmless-looking old lady, Madea is envisioned by Perry (who provides his own introduction before turning the reins over to his inner grandma) as a throwback to a time when strong matriarchs ruled the community. The result is a surprisingly fresh compilation of homespun advice—which Madea says the reader should take "at your own risk"—on love, sex, getting ahead in life and (strangely) the thousand-plus uses of Vaseline. Although veering dangerously close to serious at times, Perry litters Madea's anarchic, stage-ready monologues with hilariously bad quips along the lines of "the grass is always greener on the other side, but the water bill is higher."

Journal Entry 2 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Monday, July 09, 2007
While I find the claim “#1 New York Time Bestseller” to be a bit incredible, Perry’s Don’t Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings is full of lots of advice and fun. Most people in their right mind wouldn’t endorse all of Madea’s commentary on life— however, some of her thoughts represent her good ‘old school’ wisdom that makes her stage plays so popular.

I’ve always found it a bit amusing, however, that the African American church goers enjoy cross-dressing Tyler Perry as Madea on stage, yet ignores the realities of their lesbian and gay congregants. To my knowledge, Perry denies being gay himself, but… the lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Aside from my rantings about Perry, Madea was a real treat in her first book. Will be going out for a short bookring very soon.

Journal Entry 3 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Monday, July 09, 2007
BOOKRING:

RULES:
(modified, from bookcrosser LaurieS)

What is a bookring and how do I get in on it?
A bookring begins when a bookcrosser decides to send a book on a controlled journey. A list of interested readers is set up and the book passes from one reader who reads it and then sends it along to the person next in line. Eventually the book ends up back in the hands of the original owner which, for this book, will be me, gaysocialworker. Readers can join this bookring until the closing date, listed above. Just private message (PM) me and let me know where you are located--city, state, country--and if you are able to ship internationally. Be sure to let me know if you would like to be placed lower down on the list.

What should I do when I receive the book?
Log on to bookcrossing and type up a journal entry so I know it reached you okay. Then private message (PM) the next person in line to get their mailing address so there will be no waiting once you finish the book, if they do not respond within 10 days PM the next reader in line (and me too so I know they are no longer interested). Please read the book within 30 days and when complete add another journal entry with your thoughts about the book. Tell me the truth! Was it the best thing you ever read or a complete and utter waste of time? I love to talk books, the good, the bad and even the ugly (ugly can sometimes be lots of fun to dissect), you can write one sentence or a hundred. When you finish send the book along to the next reader in line. Please mail the book via Media Mail to save on postage in the US or via the slow boat to China if sending overseas.

What if I’m the last in line?
PM me! I would like to have the book back at the end of the bookring.

Help! I’m too swamped with book commitments and it is almost my turn!
If you find yourself in this situation PM me and I will bump you down a few notches on the list (if possible). Believe me, I understand!

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Monday, July 09, 2007
10/04/07-----BOOKRING COMPLETE!

The List:

Please make a journal entry upon receiving the book. Then read, journal your comments, and mail to the next bookcrosser within 30 days. Enjoy!

book-man-8 in Germany*
gnissorckoob in Florida
-----> return to gaysocialworker in Texas

Last updated, 07/09/2007

Journal Entry 5 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Sunday, July 29, 2007
Sending to first stop, book-man-8 in Germany. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, August 04, 2007
I just got it in the mail. Thanks for sending it! Unfortunately I presently have some kind of a "grid-lock" on my Mount TBR, so it might take several weeks before I can read it. Sorry and thanks for your patience!

Edit August 10: I was just curious, so I bumped this book to the top of my Mount TBR. But it was some kind of a disappointment... Of course I had a few laughs, but in the whole, it's more than only a little over the top!

The book is now on its way to Miami.

Journal Entry 8 by gnissorckoob from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, August 23, 2007
Got it. Thanks for sending it all the way from Baden-Württemberg, BM8. (Nice post card.) And thanks too, GSW, for bringing this book to my attention and sharing it.

I badly need a fun book to balance off the professional reading I have to do. Hope this is it.

Journal Entry 9 by gnissorckoob from Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, September 23, 2007
Finished it tonight. What to say about this book? I kept having the feeling that the character Madea was a real person. The author did a great job of bringing her to life –- or, as he put it, preserving an endangered species.

The book was ridiculous in places and tedious at times, but overall I found Madea’s outlook helpful. It gave me smiles and even a laugh out loud, and it’s a kind of survival manual.

Of her uninhibited commentaries, this was my favorite: “Life is not fair. But we don’t ever want life to be fair because if we start getting the things we deserve, none of us would be here. I’m glad life is not fair.”

Click here for Diary of A Mad Black Woman

Journal Entry 10 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Thursday, October 04, 2007
Arrived back in Texas today. Thanks to all for participating!

Journal Entry 11 by trevor4551 at AIDS Outreach Center in Fort Worth, Texas USA on Friday, October 05, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (10/5/2007 UTC) at AIDS Outreach Center in Fort Worth, Texas USA

Released in staff area...