The Stolen Child

by Keith Donohue | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by tiatia of Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on 5/16/2007
Journal Entry 1 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Wednesday, May 16, 2007
Review by an Amazon.com reader: "This is a book about Changeling's and how they live on the fringes of society, ethereal ageless children whose only escape from their immorality is to find a human family and exchange identities with him/her.

This story is about Henry Day and how he becomes a Changeling, it is also about Gustav the Changeling who becomes Henry Day the human child and how over the years both child and Changeling find that they can never let go of their previous lives.

Delicately written, with sharp human observations, this is a fairy story for adults. The ageless children are on one level obscene, on another level tragic because the 20th century is taking its toll on them.

Technology is encroaching on them, houses are being built on land that was once theirs, their way of life is set for extinction.

We jump from Changeling to human child throughout the book, seeing their own perspective on the lives they are now living, both have regrets, both have fears and both want the same thing, the love of a family and the right to live and die as a human being.

A glorious book, with a surprisingly satisfying finale."

Delightful writing with unusual plot twists. Thought provoking. What does constitute a family?

Journal Entry 2 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Thursday, June 14, 2007
Ray it out there!!! This book wants to travel....
Just sent off to the participants:
krin511 in MD
izzati in Malaysia< book is here
nynjagrrl in WI
indygo88 in Indiana

If there are more requests I will add them to the list. Enjoy and do provide your journal entries (that's part of the fun!)Courtesy and common sense are the only rules. If you need more time just let the next reader know.

Journal Entry 3 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Wednesday, June 20, 2007
The book arrived today! I'll start it sometime this weekend or early next week.

Journal Entry 4 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Thursday, June 28, 2007
I finished the book this morning, and I'm sorry it's over. I enjoyed immersing myself in the lives of both Henry and Gustav and how they come to terms with their different/similar lives.

I'll mail the book to izzati soon.

Released 12 yrs ago (6/29/2007 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to izzati!

Journal Entry 6 by Izzati on Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Received the book last month but didn't manage to update. I'm sending out this book to nynjagrrrl provided she can give me her address by this week.