A Peaceful Retirement

by Miss Read | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingCJL-230711wing on 5/13/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingCJL-230711wing on Sunday, May 13, 2007
Miss Read's Thrush Green series of books were great comfort reading a number of years ago when I really needed it. I couldn't resist this book from the Fairacre series when I saw it on the library discard table. Will save it for when I need a light read.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCJL-230711wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, October 09, 2010
I read this in September and thought I'd made a journal entry.... Is it my memory or a glitch on the new bookcrossing site??

Anyways:

I bought this book from the library sale table over three years ago. In view of the title I decided to set it aside for the first day of my retirement. Finally that day arrived and I was pleased to be able to pick up this gentle pleasant book. The last in the Fairacre series, it tells of Miss Read’s early retirement due to a minor stroke. A former headmistress, she plans for quiet time relishing the opportunity for some solitude but soon finds herself as busy as ever. Friends and neighbours are determined that she won’t find herself lonely and at loose ends. The book was delightful and surprisingly humourous. It made me feel nostalgic for simpler times, if indeed this gentle world ever existed, even in small English villages like Beech Green. Countless cups of tea were poured and so was the occasional glass of sherry. I loved it and also enjoyed the lovely line drawings.