For a Few Demons More (Rachel Morgan, Book 5)

by Kim Harrison | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by noumena12 of Dayton, Ohio USA on 5/9/2007
Journal Entry 1 by noumena12 from Dayton, Ohio USA on Wednesday, May 09, 2007
From the Publisher

Despite dating one vampire and living with another, Rachel Morgan has always managed to stay just ahead of trouble . . . until now.

A fiendish serial killer stalks the Hollows, claiming victims across society, and the resulting terror ignites a vicious Inderland gang war. And while the ancient artifact Rachel is hiding may be the key to stopping the murderer, revealing it could also create a battle to the death among the numerous supernatural races that live in and around Cincinnati.

For every action has its price, and when the vampire master Piscary is set free and the demonic Algaliarept dares to walk openly under the sun, even Rachel Morgan can't hide forever.

Journal Entry 2 by noumena12 from Dayton, Ohio USA on Monday, May 14, 2007
Bookring (Order TBD):
Mapleflowers (USA/TN)
Back to Noumena12

Journal Entry 3 by noumena12 from Dayton, Ohio USA on Saturday, May 26, 2007
On the way to MaplesFlowers! Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 4 by MaplesFlowers from Nashville, Tennessee USA on Friday, June 01, 2007
Wow...was not expecting to receive this book. I haven't yet read books #3 or #4. Still waiting for Cheriepie's ring for #3. I hope it's ok to hold on to it for a while. Not sure when it will all come together.

Journal Entry 5 by winginnaewing from Aurora, Colorado USA on Wednesday, January 02, 2008
Arrived in my mailbox on New Year's Eve (although I didn't get it until 1/1/08 -- and what a timely gift, the new year hasn't started so great, with our furnace deciding to stop working. at noon today, our house was at 45 degrees...mmmm toasty.)

so THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to MaplesFlowers for the wonderful RABCK. When I am done, i will try to pass it on with the same generousity.

Journal Entry 6 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Monday, March 19, 2012
It seemed this 5th book took a bit to get interesting. It wasn't that the first half of the book was bad, it just wasn't calling me to keep reading. The second half moved much faster as that was where all the action was. I am more worried about our hero Rachel than I was in the previous books. I look forward to where Ms. Harrison is taking this story.

I will be trying to keep the RABCK for this book going. Will update when I find a good home.

Journal Entry 7 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Friday, March 23, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (3/22/2012 UTC) at Aurora, Colorado USA

Sent off to CandyDarling as a RABCK!

Thanks again MaplesFlowers for the great read!!

Journal Entry 8 by CandyDarling at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, July 08, 2012
Got this book in the mail a little while ago, thank you for sending it to me, innae! I haven't read the 4th Rachel Morgan book yet, so now I wonder if it's any harm in reading them out of order...

Journal Entry 9 by CandyDarling at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, June 17, 2019
I read this book five years ago, but apparently forgot to post my review here on BookCrossing. Sorry for that, and thanks again for giving me an opportunity to read this. :)

Here's my original review, written in 2014:
The fifth book in this series is an emotional one, with lots of action too. I really liked the book, and I was glad Rachel and Ivy seemed to be moving towards some sort of balance. What I didn't like, was that Rachel kept stressing throughout the whole book along the lines of "oh no, I can't be gay". People kept suggesting to her that she might be in love with Ivy, but she clings stubbornly to her straight identity. I thought this was really annoying. Of course it's a soul searching moment, if you find yourself falling in love with somebody of a different gender than usually, but the way Rachel handled it made her seem like she had internalised quite a lot of homophobia, and could not handle being attracted to another woman.

I really, really wish Rachel would fall in love with Ivy and they could have a happy ever after.
It would be a remarkable step, as there are no mainstream urban fantasy books that feature a lesbian love story. Believe me, I've searched. I would love to see a book where two bisexual women fall in love with each other. It would be a huge step forward to be able to find a lesbian romance in a book that is not published specifically by a lesbian publisher. Unfortunately, I'm afraid Kim Harrison is not going there. Instead it loks like she is engaging in a bad case of queerbaiting. She writes so that it is clear that Rachel has feelings for Ivy, but she's not going to let them ever actually be in a relationship.

Aside from my gripes with Rachel's angst related to her feelings for Ivy, I think the book was great. It had me hooked from the beginning to the end. I especially loved the scene where Rachel was riding the bus in her bridesmaid gear to tag someone at Trent's wedding. I can't wait to read more. :)

Released 11 mos ago (6/18/2019 UTC) at -- Kampin terminaalin kierrätyshylly in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

If you're reading this, you've caught a book! Congratulations, and welcome to BookCrossing. You've come to a friendly place. Hope you enjoy the book, and the free no-spam website. Please make a short note to let me know what you thought of the book, then feel free to keep it or set it free to continue its journey. If you choose to join BookCrossing, you'll be able to see where the book goes on its travels!

Happy Reading!