Dancing at the Dead Sea

by Alanna Mitchell | Other |
ISBN: 1903919630 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Treacle1966 of Taupo, Bay of Plenty New Zealand on 5/7/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Treacle1966 from Taupo, Bay of Plenty New Zealand on Monday, May 07, 2007
read and make your own mind up!

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, May 12, 2007
No sooner has 'cjfd' dipped her toes in the murky waters of bookcrossing, than she dives in head first with a meet-up, yahoo-forum-joining and even challenging name-changing! Welcome Treacle1966, I can tell you are going to enjoy it here :)

(ps. the book looks great, so al la mode; environmental melt-down, the human race post-Darwin...this may have to go straight to the top of my to-be-read pile!)

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, September 03, 2007
(28/08) As a piece of extended investigative journalism/’pop’ science I feel that Alanna Mitchell was a little bit out of her depth. But that said, I liked the idea of revisiting Darwin 150 years later and seeing how the publication of The Origin of Species had an impact on Victorian society and its beliefs (not just Christian creationism, but the ‘fixity’ of species and the inexhaustibility of natural resources), and the parallel with today’s prevailing belief (still!) that we as a species are unassailable, and that the planet cannot survive without us. Mitchell travels around the world to see first hand various environmental hotspots, at danger through climate change, or human intervention on a large or relatively small – local – scale. Mitchell also talks to the experts to ask whether the human race/species has a ‘death wish’...with the conclusion that we probably have, unless we learn new legends around how to live in harmony with our environment and the complex unknowable(?) ecosystems that underpin the planet; not just the usual suspects, the West plundering the world’s resources, but the attitudes of subsistence loggers in Madagascar, the use of ancient underground water in the middle east, poor fisherman removing mangrove swamps to farm shrimps etc. etc.

Each chapter shines a spotlight on particular catastrophes with very few positive messages I think; maybe the restoration of several species back from the brink of extinction, and the protection of Amazonian forest in Suriname. The interesting thing about this book, because it is a couple of years old, it doesn’t include the current speeding up of climate change and the impact of the Chinese and other emerging powerhouse economies...quite depressing but nevertheless a fascinating book.

ps. thanks for sharing this book :) Will we be seeing you back at the Ipswich meet-up soon?

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, September 07, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (9/8/2007 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Taking along to the BookCrossing meet-up to share or leave on the Caffe Nero shelves

Journal Entry 5 by KenseyRiver from Brightlingsea, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, September 08, 2007
Picked up on Bookgroupman's recommendation (he is such a bookpusher)!

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookAmblerwing from Isle of Lewis, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, December 10, 2007
I should not have picked this up in Ipswich on Saturday! I can't blame BGM and KR since they weren't there to bookpush :o) But the blurb was very tempting...

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookAmblerwing at Caffe Nero in Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, June 28, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (6/28/2008 UTC) at Caffe Nero in Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom

A new career starting in a fortnight - with distance learning on top of shift work, for two years - has focussed my mind on what to keep/ pass on from Mount Toobie!!!

Journal Entry 8 by wingbooktwitcherwing from Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 05, 2009
picked up at local bx meetup - no time to read at present to be placed on bookmooch for a short time.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbooktwitcherwing at County Hall in Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (11/25/2009 UTC) at County Hall in Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom

With The Quen of Subtleties