corner corner S is for Silence (Kinsey Millhone Mysteries)

S is for Silence (Kinsey Millhone Mysteries)
by Sue Grafton | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingbooklady331wing of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 5/27/2007

status (set by mcsar): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, May 27, 2007

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

From Publishers Weekly
Kinsey Millhone has kept her appeal by being distinctive and sympathetic without craving center stage. While some mysteries that provide the PI's shoe size or most despised food create a forced and intrusive intimacy, a master like Grafton makes the relationship relaxed and reassuring. Millhone's life is modest and familiar, though her love life, now featuring police detective Cheney Phillips, tends to be oddly remote. This 19th entry (after 2004's R Is for Ricochet) adopts a new convention: Millhone's customary intelligent and occasionally self-deprecating first-person reportage is interrupted by vignettes from the days surrounding the Fourth of July, 34 years earlier, when a hot-blooded young woman named Violet Sullivan disappeared. Violet's daughter, Daisy, who was seven at the time, hires Millhone to discover her mother's true fate. Violet had toyed with every man in town at one time or another, so there's no shortage of scandalous secrets and possible suspects. Constant revelations concerning several absorbing characters allow a terrific tension to build. However, the utterly illogical and oddly abrupt ending undermines what is otherwise one of the stronger offerings in this iconic series.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at U.S. Postal Mail in By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 23, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (7/23/2007 UTC) at U.S. Postal Mail in By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Going in carlissa's Mystery & Thriller Bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by affinity4books from Bryan, Texas USA on Monday, August 06, 2007

This was the first I have read in the alphabet series and I plan to read more. Very hard to put down- I started it to see if I wanted to take it form the box and then ended up reading it all weekend. I really enjoyed the sections set in the past juxtaposed with Kinsey questioning people in the present- it was interesting to see how some characters had changed in 30 years (and some had not). I agree with the amazon review, though, that the ending was abrupt and not well-explained.

Thanks for sharing! Put it back in the box.

Journal Entry 4 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Thursday, October 11, 2007

Got this from the mystery/thriller bookbox. Thanks for sharing! I will be updating this entry once I am done. I am looking forward to this one, as I am a Sue Grafton fan.

Journal Entry 5 by Ilios at Tampa, Florida USA on Saturday, September 30, 2017

I really enjoyed this Kinsey Milhone mystery and how she gets roped into a 30-year old disappearance. This time, we don't see a lot of progress re: Kinsey's personal life but everything is focused on Violet Sullivan, a bigger than life woman who disappeared mysteriously leaving her daughter behind.

Sending this to mcsar to continue this book's travels around the globe.

Journal Entry 6 by mcsar at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Thank you, Ilios, for sending me this book and for going out of your way to make sure I get something. I really appreciate your generosity. I have read and enjoyed many in the alphabet series. I am sure this one will be just as good and I look forward to reading it.

--------------------------
Updated Jan 8, 2018

A solid Kinsey Millhone mystery.

Journal Entry 7 by mcsar at Tea & Mystery!, RABCK Sweepstakes/Drawing -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Released 2 wks ago (2/9/2018 UTC) at Tea & Mystery!, RABCK Sweepstakes/Drawing -- Controlled Releases

Congratulations to the winner who I think enjoys the alphabet series. Hope this one is new to the winner.