Girl In Hyacinth Blue

by Susan Vreeland | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Ardy of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania USA on 2/5/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Ardy from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, February 05, 2003
This is an absolutely beautiful book! It is a series of short stories. The thread that runs through thes stories is a Vermeer painting of a girl in a blue dress.
We are introduced to the painting in modern times. Each story is about a previous lover of the painting. Until we get back to its very conception.
I'm offering this book in a book ring and may be able to part with it permanently someday- but not yet. But I also want to share it, so a bookring is the perfect solution.
Bookring:
Jenny-lou-who in Ontario
Sejent in Kentucky
Shellyann in Colorado
Amberlee17 in California
Ardy in Pennsylvania

Journal Entry 2 by jenny-lou-who from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 17, 2003
I just got this book in the mail today - thank you so much for starting this bookring Ardy! This is a book I've always wanted to read.

Journal Entry 3 by jenny-lou-who from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, February 25, 2003
This was a really neat book! I loved the way the author wove the different stories together through a single painting. I'm an art historian and often wonder about the different lives touched by the imagery I study and read about, so I was quite captivated by this book. It reminded me a bit of Girl With A Pearl Earring but I liked this one better.

I'm sending this one on to Sejent in Kentucky.

Journal Entry 4 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Thursday, March 06, 2003
Received in today's mail...I will start reading it right away!

Journal Entry 5 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, March 18, 2003
A subtle, beautifully written book.

Sending to the next in the bookring, shellyann in Grand Junction, CO.

Journal Entry 6 by shellyann from Rifle, Colorado USA on Wednesday, March 26, 2003
I just received this today. I'm keeping it out to read during my move as my other books will be packed.

Journal Entry 7 by shellyann from Rifle, Colorado USA on Sunday, April 20, 2003
I just couldn't finish it. I found it boring.

Journal Entry 8 by AmberLee17 from Stockton, California USA on Saturday, May 10, 2003
Received in the mail today.

AND I remembered to add SpikesMom to the list of readers. (Yeah me! -- with the tricks my memory's been playing on me lately, I need to celebrate all the victories I can... Excuse the aside.)

Will read this and keep the ring going.

Journal Entry 9 by AmberLee17 from Stockton, California USA on Sunday, May 11, 2003
Enthralling! (Heck, I stayed up past two in the morning to finish it.) I was surprised that the story of many of the various owners of this were tragic or melancholy... and yet the 'trail' of owners rang true. Especially the wife in the Napolianic (sp?) era -- I disliked the woman, but the story in her voice was particularly vivid.

I was also intrigued by an alternate view of Vermeer's home life, having recently finished "The Girl with the Pearl Earring". Oddly at varience -- I wonder which is the closer to the true case.

Favorite quote:
"Now he knew, as he'd known a hundred nights when he looked at the smoothly painted upturned hand before he took the lamp upstairs, that there was nothing so vital as paying attention, and perfecting the humble offices of love. ..." This brings tears to my eyes, especially considering how high a price was paid for this knowledge.

Thank you for sharing this with me. [Another oddity -- this is the third book in a month set or partally set in Renaiscence era Holland -- I don't think I've read another with that background.]

Journal Entry 10 by WestofMars from Mars, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, July 05, 2003
Just arrived in the mail today. guess I'm going to have to put my love affair with Harry on hold until it's read... Harry Potter, that is...

Journal Entry 11 by WestofMars from Mars, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, July 07, 2003
Man, I devoured this after it arrived. Like amberlee17 said, it's achingly beautiful, a phrase that's haunted me since she said it.

However, I had two problems with it that made me rate it an eight instead of higher. One is that the writing's not as sharp as it should be. There are misplaced modifiers and other ramblings that interrupt the narrative flow, so that you have to re-read a sentence more than once, just to figure it out.

The other is that I'm not a fan of short stories, and this is, essentially, a short story collection. With the exception of Arletta's story, every one of these stories could -- and maybe should -- be blown up into a novel. This is high praise; it means that in all of these stories (except for the one, which is a wonderful, complete story), the characters are so strong, they could support a novel. The situations grab and hold the reader. They leave you wanting more, more, more from them.

Should be interesting to follow the writer's career. This is a small press that published this book, a fact that also intrigues me. It could have gone to one of the biggies and been just as successful, if not more so.

Journal Entry 12 by Ardy from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, July 21, 2003
This beautiful book has made it home again. Hope everyone enjoyed this book!

It's a good thing I found another copy of this book to hoard because this copy wants to go adventuring again. It's up for grabs.

8/7/03: Gategrl has agreed to read this book and then release it in Connecticut as a part of my release project. thanks gategrl- I hope you enjoy this book!

Journal Entry 13 by gategrl from Wallingford, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, August 12, 2003
Received this today, and am looking forward to this. It looks like I should be able to read this in about 2-3 sittings. I am hoping for an artsy release and Yale Art Gallery might be just the place. I'll be back.

Journal Entry 14 by gategrl from Wallingford, Connecticut USA on Wednesday, August 13, 2003
I went to look for this painting, on line, when I finished reading this book today and there is no such thing. I was wondering why the cover art was not all there and was different on the two books I'd seen.
I really enjoyed this book and liked the way it worked its way back to the origins of this fictitiuos painting. I was touched by the final chapter "Magdalana Looking", as the author let us know of the frustration that must have been felt by many women of the time, and their not being allowed to persue the art. I will look at the paintings a little more creatively when next I visit a museum.
I told Ardy I would release this in Connecticut, and have since reached my 100 wild releases goal, and don't want to go over that number at this time. With only 3 actually caught, I am not doing any more wild releases. I am therefore going to do a controlled release to my girlfriend 'tomboy' and we will wild release this from her bookshelf, together, this weekend. Hope that is alright.
Thanks Ardy

Journal Entry 15 by gategrl from Wallingford, Connecticut USA on Wednesday, August 13, 2003
Controlled release to tomboy.

Journal Entry 16 by tomboy from Middletown, Connecticut USA on Wednesday, August 13, 2003
Received this book from gategrl and we will release it this weekend. I will be back with details.

Journal Entry 17 by tomboy at Post Office, 4 South Main St. in Wallingford, Connecticut USA on Friday, August 22, 2003
Released on Friday, August 22, 2003 at Wallingford Post Office in Wallingford, Connecticut USA.

Wanted to get to an art show or museum to release this, but can't get there, and was headed for the post office, so released it there, on top of the display case for the Firemen.