Shadow Divers

by Robert Kurson | History |
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 6/9/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, June 09, 2007
Picked this up at a yard sale. I've heard good things about this book, so I want to hang onto it to read. I used to have another copy, given to me by a friend, but after I registered it, she decided she wanted to read it after all. And since it doesn't look like that copy will be coming back to me (at least for a while), I'm hanging onto this one till I read it.

From the cover (of another copy) -
In the tradition of Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air and Sebastian Junger's The Perfect Storm, comes a true tale of riveting adventure in which two weekend scuba divers risk everything to solve a great historical mystery - and make history themselves.
For John Chatterton and Richie Kohler, deep wreck diving was more than a sport. Testing themselves against treacherous currents, braving depths that induced hallucinatory effects, navigating through wreckage as perilous as a minefield, they pushed themselves to their limits and beyond, brushing against death more than once in the rusting hulks of sunken ships.
But in the fall of 1991, not even these courageous divers were prepared for what they found 230 feet below the surface, in the frigid Atlantic waters sixty miles off the coast of New Jersey: a World War II German U-boat, its ruined interior a macabre wasteland of twisted metal, tangled wires, and human bones - all buried under decades of accumulated sediment.
No identifying marks were visible on the submarine or the few artifacts that Chatterton and Kohler brought to the surface. No historian, expert, or government had a clue as to which U-boat the men had found. In fact, the official records all agreed that there simply could not be a sunken U-boat and crew at that location.
Over the next six years, an elite team of divers embarked on a quest to solve the mystery. Some of them would not live to see its end. Chatterton and Kohler, at first bitter rivals, would be drawn into a friendship that deepened to an almost mystical bond of brotherhood, with each other and with the drowned U-boat sailors - former enemies of their country. As the men's marriages frayed under the pressure of a shared obsession, their dives grew more daring, and each realized that he was hunting more than the identities of a lost U-boat and its nameless crew.
Author Robert Kurson's account of this quest is at once thrilling, emotionally complex, and written with a vivid sense of what divers actually experience when they encounter the dangers of the ocean's underworld. The story of Shadow Divers often seems too amazing to be true, but it all happened, 230 feet down, in the deep blue sea.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, September 02, 2012
Well, I've finally read this book after all those years of it sitting on the stacks. This is the kind of book that makes you wonder why you waited so long to read it - it's excellent! Kurson tells the stories of the divers and the stories of the U-boat (sub). I vaguely think I remember hearing of this sub when they discovered it, and then again, years later when it was finally identified, and remember wondering why it took so long to identify.

We learn here through the repeated dives why these deep-water dives are so risky: the hazards of the unexplored wrecks, the dangers of narcosis (when breathing air, rather than trimix), the competitiveness of some of the divers/boat captains, and then the boats' reluctance to give up some of their secrets. Kurson is a master at suspense. His descriptions of the dives, along with their dangers, had me gasping as the dive unfolded. And the mystery of trying to learn the identity of this boat only added to the plot. With Chatterton and Kohler, we learn about their lives and how they became the men they were, with the ability to work as one on this dangerous wreck.

This is an excellent true-life adventure tale, highly recommended! This copy will be going off as a RABCK in a few weeks. Hope the next reader enjoys it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Friday, June 08, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, June 09, 2018
In memory of MaryZee, I hope this book will continue to travel and find many eager readers. Thank you, 6of8, for bringing me this and other books of MaryZee's to share.

I'm releasing this book for the following challenge:

**The 2018 You're Such an Animal Release Challenge hosted by Secretariat. The book title contains the word SHAD.

-------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 6 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Journal Entry 7 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA on Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (11/3/2018 UTC) at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book at Birdie's Cafe for our annual BookCrossing meetup in memory of fellow Bookcrosser MaryZee.

-------------------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!