Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 4)

by J.R. Ward | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by nan1970 of Renton, Washington USA on 4/27/2007
Journal Entry 1 by nan1970 from Renton, Washington USA on Friday, April 27, 2007
tbr Butch is my least favorite character in this series, but since I really like the other Brotherhood books, I thought I'd give it a fair shot.

Synopsis:
Newbies to Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood may struggle to fill in the backstory, but these erotic paranormals are well worth it, and frighteningly addictive. The six "brothers" are vampires: enormous, tattooed, tormented warriors who protect other vampires from destruction by the "lessers," desouled humans in the evil Omega's Lessening Society. Hero and ex-cop Butch is the only human allowed into the Brotherhood's inner circle, but Butch is no mere human, a fact suspected by one of his vamp colleagues, and confirmed by the sinister plans of the Omega. The book is fully committed to its urban sensibility, the vampires' rarified language (a glossary is provided) and their revved-up sex drives, and it all works to great, page-turning effect (with the notable exception of a chick lit–like attention to designer brands). Though Butch's love interest, the virginal, aristocratic vampire Marissa, initially elicits more annoyance than empathy, she grows a spine as the book progresses and Butch's destiny comes to light. In just two years, the first three books in the series have earned Ward an Anne Rice–style following, deservedly so; this entry should prove no less popular.