Travel Writing (Granta: The Magazine of New Writing)

by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Saul Bellow, 15 more.... | Nonfiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Atlanta, Georgia USA on 4/27/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Atlanta, Georgia USA on Friday, April 27, 2007
Dear Reader,

I used to subscribe to Granta--but lost interest some years ago. This used volume caught my attention the other day. I need travel, I think--or an enormous change. So I picked it up. I'll probably go through it fairly quickly and release it in the wild.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing from Atlanta, Georgia USA on Wednesday, March 25, 2009
I keep reading at this one. I'll pick it up and find something I want to return to and so, after two years, it remains here with me. There are real treasures inside. Many of the essays like Martha Gelhorn's White Into Black show the shadow side of travel. Writers include: Saul Bellow, Hugh Brody, Bruce Chatwin, James Fenton, Russell Hoban, Richard Holmes, Norman Lewis, Patrick Marnham, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Jan Morris, Redomond O'Hanlon, Jonathan Raban, Paul Theroux and Colin Thubron.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing from Atlanta, Georgia USA on Tuesday, April 14, 2009
I've just decided to send this book on a journey, a long journey.

Journal Entry 4 by wingCordelia-annewing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, April 30, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (4/30/2009 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

When I send a book on a long journey. I always try to find books to tag along with it for the journey. This book about travel should be a traveling book. I enclose an old Canadian post card with it.

Journal Entry 5 by Tarna from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, May 14, 2009
Some great writers plus many that I don’t know yet; it’s gonna be interesting to read their texts.
And the postcard is a treasure; did you really mean to leave it inside this book? I love this picture: Public Library. Chatham, Ont., Canada. And the post-office stamp says it was mailed July 5, 1954.
The building looks so beautiful I just had to try to find out if the library is still there. Ended up reading Chatham Daily News but finally found it: Chatham Carnegie library.

cordelia-anne, I’m overwhelmed by your generosity. Thank you ever so much.

Journal Entry 6 by Tarna at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, March 08, 2011
cordelia-anne, it's easy to understand you kept reading and rereading Travel Writing. They really are interesting stories. I liked them all and found several writers I didn't know before but whom I now want to know better. Some pieces I even loved a bit more than others. Among my favourites, there are, e.g., (in the order they appear in the book) Sea Room by Jonathan Raban, Road to Cambodia by James Fenton, Into the Heart of Borneo by Redmond O'Hanlon, A Coup by Bruce Chatwin, Village of Cats by Norman Lewis, and last but absolutely not the least, Jim's Journey by Hugh Brody. Simply put, it was marvellous.
What I loved most, I think, was that this book clearly showed there is no formula in travel writing. Each one of the stories was unique and different than the others. Great book, great journeys, great writers.
Thank you so much for these reading experiences, cordelia-anne!

Now, Travel Writing will stay in Finland at least for a while longer. It'll soon travel to the next reader who, as far as I know, really likes travel books. If she'll finds these stories half as good as I did, she'll really enjoy them. :)

Journal Entry 7 by Tarna at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, March 10, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (3/10/2011 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by AgdaAgulina at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, March 24, 2011
Well this was wonderful again! Such a great suprise waiting me at home when I returned from - a travel, of course. And great timing, as I am not suppose to travel for awhile now, because a very new familymember is very soon here... I do hope to read a lot though! Thank you so much Tarna - this book looks GREAT!