Come Together

by Josie Lloyd, Emlyn Rees | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kiyoitsukikage of Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on 4/25/2007
Journal Entry 1 by kiyoitsukikage from Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 25, 2007
From Publishers Weekly
Collaborating as alternating male and female voices, Rees (The Book of Dead Authors) and Lloyd (It Could Be You) draw a slacker-love roadmap that allows readers of each gender to see what the other really thinks. Currently engaged to marry in real life, the writing couple have created West London Bridget Jones-wannabes Jack Rossiter and Amy Crosbie, who rival their precursor in list making and neurotic fretting, if not in charm: each has a sardonic, unapologetic edge that makes them less endearing than Bridget. At 25, chronic office temp Amy hasn't had sex for months. Struggling artist Jack, 27, sees his single life as "a state of siege" (his rule of thumb: don't give up complete no-strings-attached sexual freedom until your "Uberbabe" comes along). The two meet, talk all night, immediately go off to obsess about each other. Amy's judgment of Jack by "vital statistics" makes us wonder about the depth of the mutual attraction, but as one watches them endure every possible relationship pratfall and misunderstanding, the emotional ante rises for a happy-ever-after. Their biggest blowup is the most interesting, if only for its current-events echoes: does Jack's "accidental fellatio" count as infidelity? Gen-Xers will find all of their culture and conflict in these pages?honesty, jealousy, vacations from hell, condoms. Anyone over 35, however, will be as dismayed as they are entertained by the jadedness and naivete of the characters' concerns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really like this book, it's funny and the way you can see "into" the minds of both characters makes it quite interesting. It is predictable, but..who cares? ;) And Amy is quite a likeable character, too.

Journal Entry 2 by kiyoitsukikage from Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 2, 2007
This book is now an international bookray!

Participants:

#. nickname - location - shipping pref
1. boomda181 - CAN - Intl
2. carelaisa - CAN - CAN/USA
3. JerrilynnL - USA - Intl
4. BOKWORMY - POR - Intl
5. penelopewanders - SUI - Europe

FINISHED

Released 14 yrs ago (6/22/2007 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Let the ray begin!

Journal Entry 4 by boomda181 on Thursday, June 28, 2007
The book arrived today. I have put it in line with a few other rings. I will read it soon and journal more soon.

Journal Entry 5 by boomda181 on Thursday, August 16, 2007
I liked the premise of this book, the idea that we were able to approach a new relationship from a male and female perspective. It was predictable, but I think that the reader was really intended to get inside the character''s heads. I have contacted the next person on the list and as soon as I have the address will pass it on! Thanks kiyoitsukikage for sharing this book.

Journal Entry 6 by wingcarelaisawing from Québec, Québec Canada on Wednesday, September 5, 2007
Got the book yesterday :) Will read it as soon as possible and make a new journal entry as soon as I've read it!

Journal Entry 7 by wingcarelaisawing from Québec, Québec Canada on Monday, September 24, 2007
I've completed the book this weekend and I must admit it was quite interesting. Okay, maybe not the book of the year of the best one in this genre but still, I liked it. I liked the fact that you could get the opinions of both main characters and not only from one of them. Sure, the subject is a common one yet, it was told in a kind of funny way (mainly from the male character), which I enjoyed to read. Maybe I'll read other books by this duo of authors.
I've PM'ed JerrilynnL for her address, I'll edit this entry when the book will be on its way to her.

**update: Sent to JerrilynnL on Sept 25th, via airmail.**

Journal Entry 8 by wingJerrilynnLwing from Denver, Colorado USA on Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Yikes - this arrived on Oct. 6 and I swore I journaled it. Sorry about that! It will probably go out to the next person shortly. Thanks! :-)

Journal Entry 9 by wingJerrilynnLwing from Denver, Colorado USA on Friday, January 4, 2008
I am throwing in the towel. I have a good stack of bookring books and the new-found ability to fall asleep within several pages (makes it very hard to get through a book in a normal amount of time, plus you should see the huge stack of magazines...). So to start anew with the new year and not be such a bad bookcrosser, I am sending this on unread to the next person on the list. Sorry for the huge delay! I will try to get it out to the post office in the next several days. It's a bummer because it looks good but I'll put it on my wish list and read it later (maybe in 18 years when I catch up on sleep). :-)

It's off to Bokwormy in Portugal.

Journal Entry 10 by wingJerrilynnLwing at USPS in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 4, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (1/3/2008 UTC) at USPS in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

off to Portugal

Journal Entry 11 by BOKWORMY on Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Just got it in the post thanks to JerrilynnL & thanks kiyoitsukikage for sharing it =)

Shall try to be quick!

Journal Entry 12 by BOKWORMY on Tuesday, January 15, 2008
This is so weird, lol since the very beginning I had the feeling of déjà lieu ;) and indeed I´ve read this one :) don´t know when, where... the thing is it’s an ok read but not worse reading it again.

Have PMed next person on the list!

Journal Entry 13 by BOKWORMY at on Monday, January 28, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (1/28/2008 UTC) at

On the way to penelopewanders in Switzerland!

Journal Entry 14 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Saint-Loup-des Vignes, Centre France on Monday, February 4, 2008
This arrived safely in the Alps, thanks! I have a few other rings arriving all at the same time, but this looks like a quick read. Not sure where it goes next anyway - home? Thank you for making it available.

Journal Entry 15 by kiyoitsukikage from Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, February 4, 2008
Thanks everyone, I hope you enjoyed this ray.
penelopewanders, you get to decide what happens next to the book :)

Journal Entry 16 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Saint-Loup-des Vignes, Centre France on Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Well, as everyone can see, this one stayed on my TBR pile for several months... and then seemed just the length to read before leaving on a holiday in a few hours. In light of the previous comments (which I only skimmed as I don't like to risk spoilers), I have to admit my expectations were not very high. Maybe because of that (or because I'm already starting to feel "on holiday") I was very pleasantly surprised, and enjoyed this a lot. I found it amusing and entertaining and a bit reminiscent of times (thank God!) long gone for me.
Have to see what I do with this when I return from my holiday.

Reserved for Romance VBB

Journal Entry 17 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, November 7, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (11/7/2009 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

This has now been mooched and is on its way to continue its journey further in Switzerland. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by suprig from Dübendorf, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, November 11, 2009
received this book from a fellow bookmoocher. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 19 by suprig from Dübendorf, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, December 13, 2009
This was not the best of books I've read. Not enough story in total, more toughts and memories which weren't absolutely necessary for the story. I found the chapters far too long. After a while I began to feel for the main caracters, I got really close to them. Maybe it was because they let me read their mind.
After finishing the book I've found out there is another book of Jack and Amy. I will read that too to see what happened to them.