Thursbitch

by Alan Garner | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by shnedwards of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 4/23/2007
Journal Entry 1 by shnedwards from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, April 23, 2007
HERE JOHN TURNER WAS CAST AWAY IN A HEAVY SNOW STORM IN THE NIGHT IN OR ABOUT THE YEAR 1755

THE PRINT OF A WOMAN'S SHOE WAS FOUND BY HIS SIDE WHERE HE LAY DEAD

I really didn't know what to make of this book, so I would be interested in what other readers have to say about it. I really enjoyed the rhythms of the language and the supernatural sense of place. It has to be said that I am from the Pennines myself and could hear the speech and visualise the geography really clearly. Maybe other readers will struggle with it.

Quite unlike anything I have ever read before, which is a good thing.

Reserved for bookray. Now CLOSED, as we have enough participants.
Mailing order:

cally-c, UK
perfect-circle, UK
stubee, UK <---here
KT-J, UK

ray being continued with a new copy provided by lakelady2282, here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/6364235

***mailing order rearranged as follows:***

lakelady2282, Australia
nynjagrrrl, US
buocl, US
liz-z, US
charatae, US

Journal Entry 2 by RubyBlueLady from Avebury, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 23, 2007
I wish I could do a review like this person's review of the book! It may clear a few things up if you were left feeling a bit lost.

I loved the book. The pagan rituals, the time shifts and the strange but pleasing dialect made this an 'out of the ordinary' readable treat.

Will contact the next reader.

Journal Entry 3 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Thank you RubyBlueLady. I thought I'd journalled this book when it arrived, but I noticed this evening that I hadn't. It's a small book so I'll try to slide it up the queue a bit!!

Journal Entry 4 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Extraordinary. I have fallen in love with this book and was tempted to read it twice (but I've had it long enough and I also have a book ring queue!).

The Olde English religion is truly frightening, *the* bull scene I found deeply distressing (however I tried to interpret it) but at the same time I felt that the characters have a deep respect for their environment. This book sent shivers up my spine several times and for dozens of reasons.

I come from Cheshire but don't recall hearing about Thursbitch although it can't be that far from where I lived (Mow Cop is mentioned in the book).

The language is fascinating and particularly enlightening to me. My father died at Christmas, he used to speak the old tongue from time to time and some of the words I thought he had simply made up but no, here they are for all to see in this book!! When his friends came over I couldn't figure out a thing they said, their accents were so broad and the language almost as archaic as that in the book.

This book was an incredibly emotional and tangible experience for me. Thank you shnedwards, I feel a lot closer to my roots now and am hankering for raw, elemental nature.

I am quite sure that I will buy at least one copy of this book - it is a very precious treasure.

Sending to nawoo82 with Cloud Atlas.

Journal Entry 5 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, September 21, 2007
Received it today with Cloud Atlas, which makes 4 the number of BC rings/rays I currently have at home. OK, no panic (if I get a 5th one in the next few days I'll start hyperventilating! lol), I'll still try and read them as soon as possible and move them on within one month. However, please accept all my apologies if I'm a week or 2 late.

Usual thanks to shnedwards for organising the ray and platypussj for sending it on.

Journal Entry 6 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, October 18, 2007
What a great story! I had a bit of trouble at the beginning with the old language and the story jumping centuries but quickly got used to it.

I have posted the book to doodleali yesterday from France so it should arrive some time early next week

Journal Entry 7 by doodleali from Arnold, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 27, 2007
Just arrived back from holiday and this was waiting for me. Will start immediately.

Journal Entry 8 by doodleali from Arnold, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 29, 2007
This intrigued me. The wonderful language was like reading poetry. The old religion was fascinating if a little sinister at times and the interplay between the two stories past and present.

Journal Entry 9 by wingcally-cwing from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Arrived this morning!
Have read the reviews it sounds an intriging read am looking forwards to reading it.

Journal Entry 10 by wingcally-cwing from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 15, 2007
Wow! Very atmospheric read, couldn't put it down! I loved the language & the sense of place and the way the different aspects of the characters are revealed through the story.

I have perfect-circle's address so will hopefully send this on today.

Thanks doodleali for sending on & shnedwards for the ray

Journal Entry 11 by perfect-circle from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, November 17, 2007
Arrived this morning and after the reading the back cover, I'm intrigued. I've got one book to finish and then will be starting on this before the end of the weekend.

Thanks cally-c and shnedwards.

Journal Entry 12 by perfect-circle from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 21, 2007
I loved the language, the descriptions and dialogue made it feel very much alive and once I got used to the switching time, it was a good read.

I have stubee's address and will post it on soon.

Journal Entry 13 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, November 26, 2007
Thanks as always to Shnedwards for starting this 1001 bookray and thanks also to perfect-circle for sending this my way, I've got a couple in front of this but I can see the light at the end of my bookring tunnel now so I shouldn't keep this for too long.

Journal Entry 14 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 16, 2007
I was very interested to read this as I read Garner's The Weirdstone of Brisingamen a while ago which is set around Alderley Edge and Macclesfield near where I live. Thursbitch is different as it is an adult book whereas The Weirdstone is a children's book, but the feel of it is very similar. Fantastical in parts, very real in others, and yet bound together by the story of an area brought alive by the writing and descriptions. I have to say I did struggle at first trying to understand some of the events and the meanings behind them which were clearly bound up in the old religious traditions but it was a very interesting read and I enjoyed the modern tale flowing through it of Sal and Ian as well, even though this was never very fully explored or explained.

I've passed this back to Stubee now.

Journal Entry 15 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, December 24, 2007
A very interesting book and very unusual too, I found the language difficult but soon found myself enthralled in the story. I'm still not exactly sure that I understood it in its entirety though! The detailed descriptions of the ancient rituals enacted by Jack are amazing!

I’ve just PM’d RustyReader2 for an address so it’ll be off to Canada shortly.

EDIT: Sent on Saturday 5th January 2008.

Journal Entry 16 by RustyReader2 from Nepean, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 14, 2008
Hi all stubee and I have been in touch, I didn't realize that I never journalled the book - I'm sorry. I did read the book and wasn't to interested in it the jumping from character to character, I must not have been in that type of reading mood. Now the book has been passed on to NepeanBCLibrary, who I see occasionally and will talk to about the number of book she possesses that haven't been journalled.