The Namesake: A Novel

by Jhumpa Lahiri | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 4/14/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Saturday, April 14, 2007
Dear Reader,

I am a big admirer of Lahiri's first book, The Interpreter of Maladies, which won the Pulitzer Prize. This is her first novel--and it has been made into a recently released movie now. So it is a hot property, one anxiously awaited in long lines at the library. I read an excerpt that I thoroughly enjoyed in the New Yorker some years ago and have been meaning to read the novel ever since. Let's see if I can do it soon. I still want to send some things on to the Convention in Charleston and I think this is a good choice.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Well. I didn't find the time to read this until just recently. I was not disappointed. Lahiri is such a pro. I loved the characters and the story. I did find the promiscuity of the "namesake" protagonist and the promiscuity of his lovers sad. Still, this is a marvelously realized novel. It's no wonder that Lahiri, already a master of the short story when she started this, named her protagonist Gogol, after one of the creators of the short story. I didn't see the movie back then as I was saving myself for the book, so I'm looking forward to finding it soon and enjoying it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Thursday, November 26, 2009
I think I've found a destination for this one.

Journal Entry 4 by wingCordelia-annewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, November 26, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (11/26/2009 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

To grant a wish and to honor a life, that of Margaret Pepperdene, legendary Chaucer teacher.

Journal Entry 5 by wingvalpetewing from Walnut Creek, California USA on Friday, December 04, 2009
Thanks so much for this book. It's one I've wanted to read for some time. Let's see if I can find the time between all my Rings and Rays.

Journal Entry 6 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/19/2010 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

I haven't had time to read this one. Sending it along as a RABCK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by Brendalc57 from Sacramento, California USA on Saturday, April 24, 2010
Thank you valpete for the book...I look forward to reading it. Will journal once I read it...it may take a bit as I am reading a couple books for bookring and local library bookclub. You sure are a great person to check my wishlist out and send this along with the other one. Let me know if you are ready to read it between then and now.

Brendalc57

Journal Entry 8 by Brendalc57 at National City, California USA on Sunday, September 26, 2010
I am now starting this book...hopefully I will find it interesting. It may go slow as due to illness and strong pain meds I am a bit slow in the reading and concentrating dept. I will give it my best. I look forward to this read.