The Curriculum Vitae of Aurora Ortiz

by Almudena Solana | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by XIV-590003 on 11/21/2008
Journal Entry 1 by XIV-590003 on Friday, November 21, 2008
A unique first novel about a young woman living in Madrid who approaches bureaucracy with an infectious, innocent charm. Aurora Ortiz needs a job. Her intelligence is evident (she studied Latin and Greek and still reads classics) and her ambition is simple: She wants to be a building caretaker. But in order to apply for any kind of work, the 30-year-old widow has to register with an employment agency, draft a resume and cover letter and set up lengthy in-person interviews, even though there might not be available openings. Aurora, who was raised in a tiny Galician village, has brought to Madrid an unconventional approach to everything, including job hunting. Rather than taking the traditional route, Aurora writes long, honest letters to the agency, and through them her life story emerges. She pontificates on her neighbor Fany, a trained beautician and award-winning writer who is excited about her new job as a supermarket cashier; she praises her Aunt Domi back in the village of San Clemente de Quintas; and she poignantly reminisces about her adoring late husband Roberto. Though Fany and her Madrid friends question Aurora's technique, she thrives on the support of those back home (including new friend Clemente, who has taken a teaching post in the village). Eventually, her wacky persistence pays off when Guillermo, an officer in the employment agency, falls under the spell of her letters. Aurora is immensely likable, as quirky and enchanting as the title character of Amelie, and Solana's satire of the ridiculous complexity of so much red tape will resonate with anyone who has had to look for work. Delightfully original, Solana's fresh voice deserves attention. (Kirkus Reviews)

Journal Entry 2 by XIV-590003 on Wednesday, November 26, 2008
This short novel is among my favourite reads this year, it's honest, witty, funny and moving. Will be recommending it to all my friends. I really liked Aurora and I think she would make a great bookcrosser, these are some of the things she writes:

"If you gave me a caretaker's job, I could concentrate on my books again - once I had finished taking out the rubbish, of course."

"I don't have any degrees or certificates at all, but I do have lots of time, so I am a reader; I learn a lot from books, and whenever an opportunity arises, I scatter the ideas I learn."

"I think that the only people who understand writers are their readers, people like me who like to read and to mull over what we read. Not even other writers have the capacity to absorb their meaning, because anybody who writes pays more attention to his own readers than to other writers..."

Journal Entry 3 by XIV-590003 on Tuesday, December 09, 2008
voveryte ~ england, united kingdomü
midlifecrisis ~ england, united kingdom
arturogrande ~ england, united kingdom
rossella05 ~ england, united kingdom

Journal Entry 4 by XIV-590003 at Air Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 05, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (1/5/2009 UTC) at Air Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to istop4books.

Journal Entry 5 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Wednesday, January 14, 2009
It's here. Arrived safe and sound with a blast of freezing air! I'm just finishing up one book and then will get started with this one right away. Thanks for organizing Rosella!!

Journal Entry 6 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Friday, January 16, 2009
Given the fact that I was old enough (only by a hair) to be Aurora's mother, I felt like slapping her back into the real world, to shake her into relishing life and not throwing her talents away. I did get a bit exasperated with her as I felt she was a bit whiny and needed someone to plant both her feet firmly on the ground. I also enjoyed the second part of the book better than the first, I felt that the writing picked up and the storyline moved forward.

Have PMd next in line and will move this on as soon as I have an address. Thanks Rossella for sharing this book with us!

Journal Entry 7 by debnance from Alvin, Texas USA on Monday, January 26, 2009
The book arrived today. The book looked so inviting that I dropped everything else I was reading to start it immediately. I'm fifty pages in and it is a good read so far.

Journal Entry 8 by debnance from Alvin, Texas USA on Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Aurora Ortiz is the kind of person who you'd love to have as a friend; she's honest and open and truthful about herself. Unfortunately, this leads her into trouble when she is honest and open and truthful about herself when she applies to work for a job agency. Aurora is hurt by the agency's apparent dismissal of her and she travels off to recoup with her family. While there, she makes a new friend and learns the agency has an employee who is taken with her honesty. Aurora returns home and life seems good again.

I liked this short and simple story of a woman and her little struggles to pull herself together after her husband's death.

I have the next ring member's address and will mail it off in a day or two.

Journal Entry 9 by debnance at Post Office - 455 E. House St. in Alvin, Texas USA on Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (1/27/2009 UTC) at Post Office - 455 E. House St. in Alvin, Texas USA

Off to the next reader!

Journal Entry 10 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, February 03, 2009
Re'cvd today. Will get to it as quick as I can! Thanks!

Journal Entry 11 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, April 30, 2009
Well, I promised to get to this as quick as I could and well, that just wasn't quick at all. I'm a truly sorry for the hold up. However, the book hit the road this past Tues.

As for my thoughts on the story...charming. There were times when I wanted something, I don't know, more concrete as far as a storyline goes, but Aurora is a refreshing and hopeful character. I would love to know what comes of her months, even years down the road. I pulled many quotes for my journal from this one.

Thanks for sharing, Rossella05!!!

Journal Entry 12 by Supertalya on Wednesday, June 03, 2009
Just received today...

Journal Entry 13 by Supertalya at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 11, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/11/2009 UTC) at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I think I would like to find it in its original language. It's on its way to Greece

Journal Entry 14 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Arrived in Athens. Thanks rossela05 for including me in the ring, and Supertalya for posting it to me!

Journal Entry 15 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, July 06, 2009
The novel is simply a character sketch of a charmingly quirky young woman who hasn't quite figured out who she is -- despite the fact that she insists she's interested in only one thing, filling the position of a caretaker in a building.

The portrait of Aurora, however, isn't a very detailed one, and narratively speaking, there are no major encounters (conflicts or otherwise) with the participating characters in the novel. Here and there Aurora will make an interesting observation, but overall there isn't much depth to the story.

The book reminds me somewhat of Amelie Nothomb's writing; in the latter's short novels there is an undercurrent of irony that isn't as evident in Solana's work.

-----
"madnad" asked to be skipped, contacting the next person on the list.
Edit 07-07-2009: "lucy-lemon" also asked to be skipped, moving on...
Edit 20-7-2009: On its way to voveryte.

Journal Entry 16 by voveryte from Woolwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, July 27, 2009
Received today!

Journal Entry 17 by voveryte from Woolwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, October 03, 2009
I really liked this book. Aurora is naive and out of this world, but dear and lovable. The whole set and descriptions are lovely too. There was really something reminding of Pedro Almodovar films, just as the cover says.
I wonder what has happened to her next. I hope something exciting, as she really desrves that.

Midlifecrisis asked to be skipped, so book is on it's way to arturogrande.

Thanks Rosella05 for organising the ring and okyrhoe for sending the book to me!

Journal Entry 18 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, October 12, 2009
Thank you. I've got some other rings and rays ahead of it, but I'll try not to hold things up.

Journal Entry 19 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 13, 2009
I thought this was a charming little book, although, like istop4books, I thought Aurora needed a good slap. You're 30, for goodness sake!! Get a grip and stop being so pathetic! There was a lot of heart here, even though nothing much happened. Aurora Ortiz was a pleasant diversion - thanks for sharing, rossella05. It's now on its way back home to you.

Journal Entry 20 by XIV-590003 at Harrow, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, April 15, 2011
Thank you everyone!!

Journal Entry 21 by wingmotherof11wing at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, May 07, 2011
This book arrived safely. Thank you very much, Rossella05! It looks interesting! I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 22 by wingmotherof11wing at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, May 16, 2011
What a lovely book! I really liked Aurora and enjoyed her story! I would have liked the story to have gone on a little longer, as I wondered what eventually became of her.
Thanks for sharing, Rossella05!

Journal Entry 23 by wingmotherof11wing at The Old Vine in Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 26, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (12/26/2011 UTC) at The Old Vine in Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom

Released in the toilets at The Old Vine.
Enjoy!