The Twelfth Card (engl)

by Jefferey Deaver | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Ahoi-Brause of Lemgo, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 4/13/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Ahoi-Brause from Lemgo, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, April 13, 2007
Due to technical issues, this BCID may have been lost in cyberspace. It has now been restored to the bookshelf of the original BookCrosser who registered it. Please feel free to use it with the current book, recycle it for another book or delete it entirely from the system. Sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced because of this problem. If you wish this journal entry from Support deleted, please contact us and we'll be happy to delete it for you.

durch einen Server-Fehler war diese Nummer doppelt belegt :(
Wir in Kürze mit einem neuen Buchtitel upgedated!

Journal Entry 2 by Ahoi-Brause from Lemgo, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, March 19, 2008
JEFFREY DEAVER - THE 12th CARD

Blurb: A new Lincoln Rhyme novel is cause for excitement among fans of twisty-turny thrillers. This time out, Rhyme, the quadriplegic forensic investigator, is trying to find out why a man was stalking a high-school student. Turns out it might have something to do with the death of one of the student's ancestors nearly 140 years ago. Deaver, who must have been born with a special plot-twist gene, somehow manages, in every book, to pull two or three big surprises out of his hat. He also has a knack for drawing us immediately into the story. For some readers, it's his detailed description of investigative techniques; for others, it's Rhyme himself, the crusty, bad-tempered (but secretly lovable) detective who, with the help of his protege (and lover), the beautiful Amelia Sachs, solves crimes that most other investigators couldn't begin to crack. The Rhyme novels are among the cleverest of contemporary detective fiction. It is disappointing, however, to report that this one has a rather noticeable flaw. He attempts to render the dialogue of an African American character, in a kind of written Ebonics ("'S'up, girl?") that is very distracting to read and pulls us right out of the story. One of Deaver's strong points has always been his ability to write flowing dialogue; the awkward effort here to translate oral idiom into written language is an unfortunate slipup. Aside from that, though, it's a typically well-written, suspenseful story.

A really good thriller, came back to me after being read by a friend. I liked it a lot - go ahead and read it! It is available! :o)

Journal Entry 3 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, July 08, 2009
Just got it, thanks for trading Ahoi-Brause.

Journal Entry 4 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, April 02, 2010
Deaver is a master twister.
This Lincoln Rhyme novel is just another proof of it, if any was needed. Ok, so Rhyme is a bit of a bore, but still the other characters around him make us forget that with their complexity and frailty.
The plot is very tight and full of those unexpected twists and turns that make a good mystery novel and this one is one of them.
The characters are the usual in a Rhyme novel: Rhyme (boring and grumpy as ever), Sachs, Thom, Lon (grows a bit in this novel) and the usual cast of cops and ex-cops. The villains are well tailored and their motive is brilliantly covered up. Boyd is quite a character but then so is Geneva and her ancestor Charles.
The story moves along at breakneck pace (the main action develops in two days) but no detail is spared, like a Rubik’s Cube Deaver’s storytelling seems to have no easy solution in sight but the truth is pretty much in front of everyone, covered by all the fake leads and planted evidence.
The Harlem background works very well and the author goes through some lengths to give the readers some essential information on this neighbourhood and its culture. Also the Charles Singleton part of the novel is really well crafted with a lot of interesting information.
I really enjoyed this book and, to me, it comes second only to The Empty Chair.

Journal Entry 5 by kizmiaz at OCBZ - Teatro Rápido in Lisboa - Baixa, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, October 26, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (10/27/2012 UTC) at OCBZ - Teatro Rápido in Lisboa - Baixa, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

released in a new OBCZ

Journal Entry 6 by SF13 at Lisboa - Baixa, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, November 02, 2012
Thx, Ahoi-Brause, obrigado, kizmiaz, for Deaver's book. He's one of my favorite writers. Will read it soon!

SF13

Journal Entry 7 by SF13 at Lisboa - Chiado, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, January 04, 2013
Great book. I never get tired of reading Deaver. I will release it right away...

SF13

Journal Entry 8 by SF13 at IPS Inst.Português Sangue in Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, January 04, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (1/4/2013 UTC) at IPS Inst.Português Sangue in Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

I left the book in the donor's waiting room, in a shelf.

Have fun, read a lot!
SF13

Journal Entry 9 by smary81 at Lisboa - Alvalade, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, January 08, 2013
I thought I was stealing the book, when I realise I could Bring it with me to finish reading.
This book was at Hospital, Instituto Português de Sangue, when I was giving blood.
Very nice suprise!

Journal Entry 10 by joaquimponte at Lisboa - Lumiar , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, March 14, 2016
I found this book in my LFL, Conchas Little Free Library in Lisbon, Portugal. Thanks for sharing it (may be to smary81 ?) It will probably take a while to read and then I'll release him again at Conchas LFL or share it with another BCer ( May be I'll read it little by little during my walks in Jardim das Conchas :)

Journal Entry 11 by Skyring at Lisboa - Lumiar , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, March 18, 2016
Caught at the delightful Little Free Library in Conchas. I could not resist a book passing through the hands of so many BookCrossrs.

This one will travel far!

Journal Entry 12 by wingRosieCanberrawing at Kingston, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, April 03, 2016
Picked this up at the monthly meet-up of Canberra Bookcrossers at the Kingston Foreshore. Will likely read on my travels to the Athens Convention later this month.

Journal Entry 13 by beli-jg at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, October 29, 2016
Picked up this book at Canberra BookCrossers monthly meet about 3 months. Read and enjoyed.

Released 3 yrs ago (10/29/2016 UTC) at Australian Catholic University in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Released at Canberra BookCrossers monthly meeting

Journal Entry 15 by Skyring at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, October 29, 2016
Hello Joaquim!

Thinking of you in sunny Lisbon with your Little Free Library in the park - and the new Children's Wing addition. Every now and then I have a nata and coffee and remember Portugal with great fondness. But the nata here aren't a patch on yours.

Our monthly BookCrossing meetup. Just Beli-jg and myself, but I had a pint of good German beer for Oktoberfest out in the beer garden in the middle of Civic, along with the magpies looking hungrily at our chips.

Talked of travel and this and that. Books, not so much. Always good to have a chat with a fellow BookCrosser.

Released 3 yrs ago (10/29/2016 UTC) at YHA Canberra City, Akuna Street in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

The bookshelf was closed, so I left this beside the TV in the common room on the 2nd floor.