Iggy Pop - Open Up and Bleed: The Biography

by Paul Trynka | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by id-rather-be-at of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 4/11/2007
Journal Entry 1 by id-rather-be-at from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 11, 2007
I made a trip to Berkeleouw Bookshop today after I went to Elizabeth’s, and had to pick this up. I've been meaning to pick up another musician's biography for a while, since I first read Anthony Kiedis' Scar Tissue, and finally did. I read some of it on the train on the way home. Will be good for ate least on re-read I reckon, and maybe a bookring too.

Journal Entry 2 by id-rather-be-at from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, April 12, 2007
I read a bit more of this today, before work and when I was eating. Reading is such a great way to not think about work, especially when your day is big, like today. This contract is only supposed to be three days a week for three months, but may turn into six months.

Journal Entry 3 by id-rather-be-at from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, April 21, 2007
I'm continuing to read this as I write this. It's Saturday night, and I'm tired, and it's kinda cold.

Journal Entry 4 by id-rather-be-at from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 25, 2007
I finished reading this today. Definetly worth a read and will be passing it along shortly.

Released 15 yrs ago (5/8/2007 UTC) at A Controlled Release in Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 6 by wing-Bodhi-wing from Jannali, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, May 8, 2007
Iggy, wild child, living legend, father of punk - who couldn't love him?! I am on a bit of a music biography bender thanks to id-rather-be-at and I intend to read this one last (to savour it).

Journal Entry 7 by wing-Bodhi-wing from Jannali, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, July 7, 2007
What I knew about Iggy Pop before this book consisted of The Stooges albums and some wild live performances involving blood and not much clothing. I didn't know about the David Bowie connection (though it makes a lot of sense)or his normal upbringing or the development of his two personas. I also had no idea that there was so much of a sense of failure about what he did as an artist. I wasn't left with any sense of liking him as an individual - as a person he doesn't seem like he could connect...more like manipulate or use. I was left with the question voiced on pg. 10 "How could one man, be so clever, and so stupid?" As with most drug using artists I was fascinated by the fact that he went to the edge of madness simply to see what it was like and then made his way back...something I have always wondered if I was capable of doing. I was also interested in the "dick" issue again. Having recently read Tommyland, Scar Tissue and Dave Navarro's Year in the Life of, I am left with the distinct impression that most rockstars have prodigious members that they are quite proud of, apparently use well and are somehow intrinsically conected with their ego/identity. Interesting stuff....

I will pass this one back to id-rather-be-at for a music bookbag or such thing. Coffee soon?

Journal Entry 8 by id-rather-be-at from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, July 7, 2007
I'll cancel my plans to hang around here watching morning tv. I dunno what the next next few weeks look like for me yet, I'll keep ya posted.

Journal Entry 9 by wing-Bodhi-wing at A good friend in Sylvania, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (12/26/2007 UTC) at A good friend in Sylvania, New South Wales Australia

Given to a gorgeous friend of mine who most likely won't journal it.