Through Painted Deserts: Light, God, and Beauty on the Open Road

by Donald Miller | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 0785209824 Global Overview for this book
Registered by BigJohnLefty of Des Moines, Iowa USA on 4/12/2007
Journal Entry 1 by BigJohnLefty from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Thursday, April 12, 2007
Bought this at a coffee shop/bookstore in Iowa Falls around Christmastime. Plan to read soon.

Journal Entry 2 by BigJohnLefty from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Sunday, April 20, 2008
As "travel" books go, this does not match up to Kerouac's "On the Road" or Willia, LEast Heat Moon's "Blue Highways", but it is an interesting journey nonetheless; it does compare favorably to Jenkin's "Walk Across America" and also is similar to that book in that it involves a spiritual search.
There is more and more talk about finding God as the book goes on, and the most positive thing I can say is that reading it gave me a better appreciation of nature, and the great earth that God gave us to enjoy (and take care of). A couple of quotes come to mind - Walt Whitman: "and to glance with an eye or show a bean in its pod confounds the learning of all time", and Ralph Waldo Emerson: "All the beauty that I have seen in the world around me leads me to trust in the God I have not seen"

Released 11 yrs ago (4/24/2008 UTC) at USPS in ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Have decided to throw this in as a "surprise RABCK" to booklady331 along with another book.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, April 28, 2008
THANK YOU, my generous friend BigJohnLefty. What a surprise. I have Blue Like Jazz on my short TBR pile. You are great!!!!

Journal Entry 5 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, November 24, 2009
I just couldn't get into this book. I had read Blue Like Jazz (which was okay) and this one started out too much like Blue for me to continue. Going to RABCK it for the D in December release challenge 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (12/1/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, Given to a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy! a surprse RABCK to ciloma. She had Blue Like Jazz on her wish list so I thought I would send this one along, too.

Journal Entry 7 by ciloma on Thursday, December 03, 2009
One of four in a RABCK bonus book bundle from booklady331!! Thanx a bunch!!

Journal Entry 8 by ciloma at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Wednesday, September 27, 2017
Well, it took me a long time to get through this one. It didn't draw me in and pull me along. It wasn't a bad book - I didn't stop reading it and pass it along before I finished it. I appreciated the spiritual aspect and how they found God in situations where I would have been cussing like the sailor I used to be. I guess I would call it a soft travelogue/spiritual journey.

Journal Entry 9 by ciloma at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/26/2018 UTC) at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to book_drunkard

Journal Entry 10 by wingbook_drunkardwing at Osgood, Indiana USA on Thursday, June 28, 2018
Hmm ... not finding this one on my wishlist.
Please let me know if it was sent by mistake.