Gods in Alabama

by Joshilyn Jackson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by dancing-dog of Cordova, Tennessee USA on 4/10/2007
Journal Entry 1 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, April 10, 2007
I was surprised about this book - in general, I liked it more than I thought I would - the ending had some good plot twists. Also liked the first person narrative style and I thought it balanced the character's past and present well. I would read another book by this author if one comes my way.

Journal Entry 2 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Monday, October 08, 2007
Sending to a special person for her birthday :D

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, November 09, 2007
I have heard so many good things about this book, I'm really looking forward to reading it!!
I was very lucky this year for my birthday, as I had dancing-dog send me a fabulous package with lots of fun goodies in it! This was one of the books she sent me, and it's a wishlist book!! Thanks so much for making my birthday extra special! :)

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 08, 2008
Arlene has made a deal with God. She won't lie, have sex, or return to her home town if God keeps his part of the deal. But when someone she went to high school with in Alabama appears on her Chicago doorstep, Arlene thinks God is starting to go back on his deal. Arlene takes her African American boyfriend (who she knows will not go over well in Alabama), and drives back home to try and defuse the situation. Slowly, we learn why exactly Arlene made her deal with God. We find out who, but the why is the key point in the book, and what is kept from the reader until the end.

The characters in this novel are what gets you so involved in the book. Arlene is quirky, Burr is sweet, Arlene's mom is not quite there, and Aunt Flo takes over mom duties but is such a strong person! It is hard to put this book down. You want to know why things happened, and you suspect there's more behind the story than what Arlene is giving you.

I'm going to look up some other Joshilyn Jackson novels, I'm interested in reading some more of her works!

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 13, 2008
Sent off today to Luckaye from an ALS.

Journal Entry 6 by luckaye from Crestmead, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Received today - in my BIRTHDAY PARCEL!!! YAY!

Journal Entry 7 by luckaye from Crestmead, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, November 04, 2008
A very entertaining book - I really enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 8 by luckaye at Logan City, QLD, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Monday, December 22, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (12/22/2008 UTC) at Logan City, QLD, By Post -- Controlled Releases

via BookMooch.com

Journal Entry 9 by gemmas from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Sunday, January 04, 2009
Caught via www.bookmooch.com and it has been added to my very large TBR pile!