Let's Go Play at the Adams'

by Mendal W. Johnson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjarewing of Port Richey, Florida USA on 4/9/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Monday, April 09, 2007
I have been looking for this book for a while now, and finally got a decent priced copy off of eBay! This is a story based on the true story of Sylvia Likens, the same true events that inspired Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door. I've been told that this book is as disturbing, if not more so, than Ketchum's story. Will have to read and find out for myself!

From the back cover:

"They're just kids. It's only a game."
That's what she tells herself. Tied up. Gagged. With the kids' parents gone for a week.
"It's only a game."
The kids like the pretty young babysitter. But now she's their captive...and the game begins.
"It's only..."
It's only the horrifying savagery of innocent children. Now let loose to hurt and kill.
You will want it to end.
But it won't.
You will want to forget it.
But you can't
The terror burns too deep.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjarewing at Tampa, Florida USA on Saturday, October 10, 2015
This was such a disturbing read. I am fascinated with the Lykens case, particularly with the dynamics of psychological profiles off all involved! I have to admit, that while this fictionalized retelling is disturbing and was a good read, I think that Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door was a far better retelling. Still, this one is worth a read for those who geek out on true crime, and can handle being fully unsettled.

Journal Entry 3 by wingjarewing at By Mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 22, 2019

Released 10 mos ago (11/22/2019 UTC) at By Mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

I promised this to a special someone years ago, had to reread it one last time before sending their way!

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Monday, November 25, 2019
Received today.

Oh, WOW!
Thank you, so much, for sending me this highly coveted wishlist book.
I've been wanting to read it Forever!
I do consider this a loan, as I realize this book is rare and hard to get hold of unless you are willing to pay big bucks.
Will read and return after all of the Holiday madness has died down.
Again, thank you so, so much.
Your friendship is a blessing.

Update: March 11, 2020
Read and returning.

Journal Entry 5 by book_drunkard at By Mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Released 6 mos ago (3/11/2020 UTC) at By Mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Returning your book to you, thanks for the loan.

I got about 30 pages in when I realized that I had read it before.
I had forgotten how brutal it is. Definitely the stuff of nightmares.
I continued reading it and remembered the same sense of dread and horror that I felt when I read it the first time.
A true horror story.

Again, thanks for loaning this book to me, I appreciate it so much.

Journal Entry 6 by wingjarewing at Port Richey, Florida USA on Wednesday, March 18, 2020
Back safe and sound! Now to decide on the next leg of this book's life!